Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd ask this question since I've been asked and gave a bit of my standard answer, but I feel like I'm satisfied with this topic to date.

Over the years, launching the car off the line for me has been one of keep the RPM in a lowerish band (around 2000 to 2500) and slip the clutch to get the car moving then get into second as soon as I could so I didn't have to deal with it in a less than ideal location on the course when starting my run. We aren't running a drag strip, so the mechanics are same but different.

The weekend before last at the Starting Line School I started to play around a bit with different RPM ranges to see what I could get out of the car. Reading over in the drag racing section, it seems that the "optimal" range is about 2500 RPM, but we aren't on a prepared surface like at a drag strip.

I've done 4500 to 5000, too much wheel spinning and slipping the clutch and I had to get into second rather quickly. 2k seems to be a bit tame. 3k is in a window that I could see doable on a regular basis but wasn't able to get a consistent result.

What am I missing? Is there a better way of doing a launch?

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
I thought I'd ask this question since I've been asked and gave a bit of my standard answer, but I feel like I'm satisfied with this topic to date.

Over the years, launching the car off the line for me has been one of keep the RPM in a lowerish band (around 2000 to 2500) and slip the clutch to get the car moving then get into second as soon as I could so I didn't have to deal with it in a less than ideal location on the course when starting my run. We aren't running a drag strip, so the mechanics are same but different.

The weekend before last at the Starting Line School I started to play around a bit with different RPM ranges to see what I could get out of the car. Reading over in the drag racing section, it seems that the "optimal" range is about 2500 RPM, but we aren't on a prepared surface like at a drag strip.

I've done 4500 to 5000, too much wheel spinning and slipping the clutch and I had to get into second rather quickly. 2k seems to be a bit tame. 3k is in a window that I could see doable on a regular basis but wasn't able to get a consistent result.

What am I missing? Is there a better way of doing a launch?
On NON-prepared surfaces I've seen the best results at 2350-2500. If I use launch control then I use the setting at 2350 (without launch control I try to get close) and it feels perfect for the F1s. 2500 has a tiny bit more traction issues, and you're right, 2000 just bogs down and feels sluggish.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have heard (but haven't tried) about launching in 2nd gear. Have you tried this with and did it bog down if you did?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I have heard (but haven't tried) about launching in 2nd gear. Have you tried this with and did it bog down if you did?
I can't imagine that doing anything but lugging the engine and/or causing undue wear to your transmission if you're slipping into 2nd.

Worse still if you're just dumping the clutch with your foot planted on the go-fast pedal.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
I can't imagine that doing anything but lugging the engine and/or causing undue wear to your transmission if you're slipping into 2nd.

Worse still if you're just dumping the clutch with your foot planted on the go-fast pedal.
Yeah the only time I've heard of launching in 2nd being a thing is drag racing heavily modified cars where 1st is pointless anyway because it's about .2 seconds long. Autocross? No. You're better off with practicing for an hour or two in an empty parking lot to get it down launching in 1st properly. Just be careful not to kill your clutch or tires practicing lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
This may be a silly questions but how do I know if I have launch control?
I have a stage 1 ots tune.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
This may be a silly questions but how do I know if I have launch control?
I have a stage 1 ots tune.
If it's enabled, stop and throw it in 1st, hold clutch to the floor and then stomp on your go fast pedal. If it stops at 2200-3500 and bounces off it then you have it...if it skyrockets to like 4+k then let off so you don't blow your rings...and you don't have it lol. I think it comes with it now on the Cobb tunes if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If it's enabled, stop and throw it in 1st, hold clutch to the floor and then stomp on your go fast pedal. If it stops at 2200-3500 and bounces off it then you have it...if it skyrockets to like 4+k then let off so you don't blow your rings...and you don't have it lol. I think it comes with it now on the Cobb tunes if I'm not mistaken.
It indeed does.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I've got a Stratified tune with LC enabled, but it seems like it's only enabled 50% of the time. Am I missing something? Is there a pedal pressure threshold you have to cross to get LC to engage? It seems like it's a crap shoot whether LC will work or my car will try to rev to bits.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I've got a Stratified tune with LC enabled, but it seems like it's only enabled 50% of the time. Am I missing something? Is there a pedal pressure threshold you have to cross to get LC to engage? It seems like it's a crap shoot whether LC will work or my car will try to rev to bits.
You can't ease it up to the LC cut limit. If the throttle is applied too slowly, it will just pass the cut limit and keep revving up. You need to smash the gas down quickly.

Also you have to have the cruise control turned off, if it's turned on, then the LC won't activate.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
You can't ease it up to the LC cut limit. If the throttle is applied too slowly, it will just pass the cut limit and keep revving up. You need to smash the gas down quickly.Also you have to have the cruise control turned off, if it's turned on, then the LC won't activate. Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Ah, yep. I bet it's the cruise control being on that's messing me up. Wow. Thanks for clearing that up!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Ah, yep. I bet it's the cruise control being on that's messing me up. Wow. Thanks for clearing that up!
Yeah, took me a hot minute to figure that out... I was out doing data logs for my revisions on day, using the cruise to hold it at 2500 RPMs on the dot while I waited the 5 seconds after hitting the record button and then was mashing the has after that. After I was done, I was trying to use the AP3 to record the 1/4 mile times and just couldn't get it to hold launch RPM. I remember trying to check to make sure it was in the right map slot and couldn't even check that... Then I remembered the cruise was still on and **** it off and then it started working and all was right in the world!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Then I remembered the cruise was still on and **** it off and then it started working and all was right in the world!

I was trying to figure out what the censored word was, and realized you type "i" instead of "u" in "shut" and it got blocked. I don't know why I found this so funny. I'm a simple man.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do I have to step on it and floor it? I tried last night but didn't like floor it and I spiked past 3k so I stopped.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
Do I have to step on it and floor it? I tried last night but didn't like floor it and I spiked past 3k so I stopped.
If you ease into it, it will go past the LC rpm, so you do have to kinda punch it to get it to hold. It's a hard thing to test because obviously you don't want to randomly just shoot your car up to 6k sitting in the driveway lol

Keep in mind, launch control usually doesn't work if your cruise control is turned on. It doesn't have to be set, but if you see the white numbers up on your info center then it's turned on and launch control is disabled on most tunes. Again, not sure specifically how Cobb OTS is

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you ease into it, it will go past the LC rpm, so you do have to kinda punch it to get it to hold. It's a hard thing to test because obviously you don't want to randomly just shoot your car up to 6k sitting in the driveway lol

Keep in mind, launch control usually doesn't work if your cruise control is turned on. It doesn't have to be set, but if you see the white numbers up on your info center then it's turned on and launch control is disabled on most tunes. Again, not sure specifically how Cobb OTS is
Hmm ok I'll have to try it again cause yeah I didn't floor it. Can I do it with the e-brake applied or should I find a nice clear road. Sorry these may be silly questions but I don't want to wreck anything.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
Hmm ok I'll have to try it again cause yeah I didn't floor it. Can I do it with the e-brake applied or should I find a nice clear road. Sorry these may be silly questions but I don't want to wreck anything.
Well since you don't have to actually launch you shouldn't need the e-brake or a nice clear road. I can sit in my driveway facing my house and put it into 1st and hold the clutch and gas down to the floor and my car will hit 2300 and just go "bub bub bub bub bub bub" and bounce off that mark all day if I sit there and hold it there. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question. I'm going to try and find the Cobb Instructions for LC and see if I can find it because I think I've seen it before somewhere

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
Make sure your accessport is up to date, if you don't have the latest versions you might not have launch control yet! I forgot about that.

This video might be of assistance?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Make sure your accessport is up to date, if you don't have the latest versions you might not have launch control yet! I forgot about that.

This video might be of assistance?
Ahh ok I've not been turning traction control off I'll try that. I updated my AP last January when I bought the car cause I needed it to shut off when I shut the car off. Not sure when the launch control was added.
I will try the launch control again today and let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
Ahh ok I've not been turning traction control off I'll try that. I updated my AP last January when I bought the car cause I needed it to shut off when I shut the car off. Not sure when the launch control was added.
I will try the launch control again today and let you know how it goes.
My apologies, I could have included that in my original description of how to do it. Let us know how it goes! With the MBRP exhaust I'll say it's pretty mean sounding hearing the "bub bub bub bub bub" :cool: Good luck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts