Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As soon as pictures upload
Who reads instructions? Just about no one, but dammit you will read this one because you are excited that a guide for this finally exists.

Time it should take: ~30 minutes

Tools needed:
6mm allen wrench
10mm deep socket
1/4" ratchet
a knife or dremel

1. Park car and pop the hood

2. reach your fingers into the open honeycomb on the grille near the top middle and start pulling out and slightly down, it will come off and likely will make you think you broke something

3. continue pulling along the edge of the grille in either direction until the grille is no longer held in place
20180104_142613 by Mike, on Flickr

4. manhandle the ducting out, most of it is soft rubber or plastic and is pretty flexible but it has two metal clips on it, be careful of those when near paint
20180104_142629 by Mike, on Flickr

5. find the OEM air inlet
20180104_142654 by Mike , on Flickr

6. using panel removing tools remove the push pins holding it in place, start with the left one(two piece clips with a center punch and then a body)
20180104_143521 by Mike , on Flickr

7. get frustrated trying to get the driver side push pin out and rip the damn thing out breaking the clip
20180104_143528 by Mike , on Flickr

8. remove the rubber ducting on the air box tubes
20180104_142910 by Mike , on Flickr

9. fish the longer bolt through the righter hole, put the spacer on from in the grille, put snorkel over the bolt and then the washer and lock nut (hand tighten)
20180104_144746 by Mike , on Flickr

10. put the shorter bolt in the left hole, through the snorkel and put the other washer and nut on
20180104_144752 by Mike , on Flickr

11. get a 6mm allen wrench and a 10mm socket(if you can find it) for your 1/4" ratchet
20180104_145547 by Mike , on Flickr

12. hold the bolt head with the allen wrench and start to tighten down the nuts on the other side
20180104_144806 by Mike, on Flickr
20180104_144815 by Mike , on Flickr
20180104_150727 by Mike , on Flickr

13. get out your dremel to cut the ducting, realize you bought a ****ty harbor freight one almost immediately after you start cutting and grab a knife instead

14. you can leave the ducting for the grille out, or cut it to fit I ended up cutting the entire bit around the snorkel off because it looked like it would flap in the wind and I didn't want to hear it.
20180104_150305 by Mike , on Flickr

15. put grille back on

16. replace ducting to air box tubes
20180104_151233 by Mike , on Flickr

17. crack open a cold beverage

20180104_154258 by Mike , on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I got sick of this cold weather and said F it, put on coveralls, went out to my 32 degree garage,
ripped out my grill and installed my snorkel. Be awhile before I can get real pics.
My grill came out pretty easy, since it has been out before(with bumper off)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the write up, just helped me install my snorkel on my 2016 ST.

Seemed everyone is worried about the whole grille thing. I had no issues, my only advice would be to take your time on that step, because I could see how you could snap a clip only if you are not taking your time.
Much easier than taking the entire bumper cover off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wonder if it’s possible to do the same on the RS’s without removing the front bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Thanks, I'd like some royalties for my hard work LOL.
Or maybe some free brake ducting
Agreed, this is worth something...even if it's only the equivalent of a lanyard, decal or hand written thank you. Great stuff bro!

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Love you guys! Always going above and beyond!

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I love mine so much. They really are beautiful pieces and on a15+ they are a breeze to install. Take some pics afterwards!!!!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
A video would be great! Does the grill lose any of its tightness by pulling it off? No rattles or loose clips etc.?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
A video would be great! Does the grill lose any of its tightness by pulling it off? No rattles or loose clips etc.?
Mine has been out twice and no it's still tight. YMMV
I actually even accidentally cut off a few of the tabs that hold the grill in, on the bumper when i was dremmeling off the piece that sticks up, on the bumper, behind the grill, so the bottom two tabs don't really have much to hold on to.

right towards the middle i got a little too close to the front edge with my dremel cutoff wheel. Still hold the grill in plenty well.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
651 Posts
There are no clips. Just plastic tabs. I've ripped mine out no less than 8 or 9 times and trust me, it's still tight.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Does anyone have pics of the back of the grill and a closeup of the tabs or how they attach?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Trust but verify!
For MK3.5, just start from one side and pull it out. I haven't heard of anyone breaking anything/clips. Just do it and you'll see.. lol. The tabs are very large and obviously attached to the grille.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Trust but verify!
For MK3.5, just start from one side and pull it out. I haven't heard of anyone breaking anything/clips. Just do it and you'll see.. lol. The tabs are very large and obviously attached to the grille.
Would like to see a pic how they attach in back ie vertical horizontal angled etc. It helps to know what the tabs look like and how they mount.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Would like to see a pic how they attach in back ie vertical horizontal angled etc. It helps to know what the tabs look like and how they mount.
Just pull it out. If you really want to know, I found this within 5 seconds of doing a google search.

Custom720.jpg

1 - 20 of 56 Posts