Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just got my new focus st 2014, and my main goal is to improve the sound (hopefully somewhere around the sound of the new AMGs with the popping downshift noise).
Any recommendations?
I am new to car tuning so I don't know many technical terms...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
lol. Ya I wish we had that sport plus mode with the exhaust popping. They refined it and now they do it more often. First run of the sport plus modes it only really did it in sport plus, and then only every so often. Im trying to improve the sound on mine as well, but not necessarily by wanting just more popping noises. a couple tuners on here can get you the crackle and pops. I believe stratified is one of them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a catless turboback setup, and it typically crackles on decel, and has loud pops on revmatched downshifts. Its definitely a head turner, but the interior does a good job in mitigating a lot of the noise so i really dont get to hear much of it when im driving.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a catless turboback setup, and it typically crackles on decel, and has loud pops on revmatched downshifts. Its definitely a head turner, but the interior does a good job in mitigating a lot of the noise so i really dont get to hear much of it when im driving.
Do you have the "crackle and pops" tune? Or is that with just a turbo back exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just had my resonator yanked and the 2.25" neck down replaced with 2.5" straight pipe and my car sounds incredible stock. Just removed my symposer (which I used to like) today because it was interfering with the sound from my exhaust.

I'd recommend starting there and looking at a crackle and pop tune for the rest. Resonator deletes really wake up the sound without adding much drone at all.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi,
I just got my new focus st 2014, and my main goal is to improve the sound (hopefully somewhere around the sound of the new AMGs with the popping downshift noise).
Any recommendations?
I am new to car tuning so I don't know many technical terms...

Thanks!
Resonator delete and swap the muffler for magnaflow or something similar.. I just did this to mine last week and its perfect.. Only loud at wot otherwise its pretty quiet..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Resonator delete and swap the muffler for magnaflow or something similar.. I just did this to mine last week and its perfect.. Only loud at wot otherwise its pretty quiet..

Happen to have any video of this?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
my resonator delete didnt really seem to increase any noise when wot, at least nothing noticeable in the cabin. I kept the symposer just to have some kind of noise. Im just not used to such a quiet car,lol.

Im also used to daily driving track cars where the passenger has to shout to carry on a conversation so maybe Im not the best person to compare loudness levels.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nothing really makes these cars sound good.
We have a very ticky engine from the front, and a typical i4 noise from the back. We don't rev high enough or have enough compression to sound super impressive.

Some exhaust trickery and use of appropriate mufflers may get us some good deep noises out the back, but overall, I gotta give it to AK2112, most loud ST's I've heard are just simply loud.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I can't agree with the "nothing makes them sound good" opinion you guys have. With the catless/MBRP setup it doesn't sound to me like a typical 4 banger. Most people that have heard the setup agree it doesn't sound like a ricer car, or any other 4 cylinder car they have heard. It's nice and I really like it for someone who HATES the sound of 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
388 Posts
my resonator delete didnt really seem to increase any noise when wot, at least nothing noticeable in the cabin. I kept the symposer just to have some kind of noise. Im just not used to such a quiet car,lol.

Im also used to daily driving track cars where the passenger has to shout to carry on a conversation so maybe Im not the best person to compare loudness levels.
I did a resonator delete as well. I decided to unplug my sound symposer and enjoyed it a lot better after the resonator delete was done... IMO this is how it should've came from the factory.

·
Registered
162 Posts
After adding the high flow catted down pipe to my stock exhaust, I'm content with the sound of my car. I don't really like a loud exhaust and the volume seems to be about perfect for me now. It did make the tone slightly deeper as well. Not to mention the turbo lag being nonexistent now with the stratified tune.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts