Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a JBR short shift arm to replace my shift plate. I soak with penetrating oil and hammer it with a 3lb sledge for an hour but it looks like didn't move at all. Any idea how to get the pin? Should I drill it out in this case?
Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle Sports equipment

Update:

Just another try this morning with the originally supplied pin (I'm using my own punch pin set before), and finally got the job done!

I also sprayed and soaked with PB blaster whole night and I think that helps a lot.

Thank you guys for all the support and I'll test out how it feels tonight.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Flash photography Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
1,070 Posts
It took me awhile, small hammer, lots of tapping and patience. It came out. I used the bolt they supplied.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
1,070 Posts
You don’t want to drill it out since it’s reused with new arm I believe. You could probably rig up a wiper arm puller tool to get it out.
It is not reused. They supply a bolt to use to tap it out, and another with a nut to install on the new shift arm.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,376 Posts
I don't remember my pin being that difficult to remove. I think I used a large 2-3 lb hammer turned sideways. And a large pin punch.

It also looks like you have some oil residue with some collected dirt. May want to check if you need to reseal the shift tower.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,431 Posts
I used this on mine and had it out in about 5 seconds. My mother in law bought me one of these years ago when I was building a house for her and it's been useful for a lot of projects.

Craftsman 9-11818 Nextec 12-volt Lithium-lon Hammerhead Auto Hammer https://a.co/d/3Omlakr

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
modify and use a big C Clamp and push it out

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Reactions: thadarkjinja

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
suggestion from @Biznatch on RS forum:

A c-clamp with a rod on 1 side to push the pin out, and a long socket on the other side for the pint to go in. Should slide right out.

Reactions: Lucada and rob99rt

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
It comes right out you just got to pull the headlight housing so you have more room and use a long Punch or a punch in a socket on the end of an extension if you need to get a better angle you have someone in the car and shift it to rotate the shaft. I struggled with mine for about an hour and then I did it that way and it was like three taps. I think because it was so long I held everything in line and held to punch on the PIN while my brother tapped to the end with a hammer.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,431 Posts
Congrats on getting it swapped. Fwiw, I'm running mine at 20% and it feels great. 40% was just WAY too much for my tastes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts