Ford Focus ST Forum banner

221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is a great tutorial. I have been changing my oil for years and have yet to preload the oil filter, interesting idea and I think I will do this for my first oil change. Seems like there is a few more steps by removing air spoilers and such than my old 99 camry...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I preloaded the new oil filter with a funnel, didn't see anything dirty in the funnel but it might have some small dirt/dust/etc that eyes can't see, funnel was inside a plastic bag but crap might still gotten in since it was sitting there for 1.5 years.....already finished changing oil so should be ok or?

In manual for oil change it also says to inspect many things. Such as Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension and tie-rod ends. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings. Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums,brake linings, hoses and parking brake.Inspect engine cooling system strength and hoses.
Inspect exhaust system and heat shields. Inspect half-shaft boots. Perform multi-point inspection. (what's this? can't find more info in the manual)

I am not really sure what some of those things are, and inspection what do you look for? just anything unusual I guess? leaks cracks or whatever. Can't ignore those huh gotta figure out which thing is which and inspect all of them?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I preloaded the new oil filter with a funnel, didn't see anything dirty in the funnel but it might have some small dirt/dust/etc that eyes can't see, funnel was inside a plastic bag but crap might still gotten in since it was sitting there for 1.5 years.....already finished changing oil so should be ok or?

In manual for oil change it also says to inspect many things. Such as Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension and tie-rod ends. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings. Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums,brake linings, hoses and parking brake.Inspect engine cooling system strength and hoses.
Inspect exhaust system and heat shields. Inspect half-shaft boots. Perform multi-point inspection. (what's this? can't find more info in the manual)

I am not really sure what some of those things are, and inspection what do you look for? just anything unusual I guess? leaks cracks or whatever. Can't ignore those huh gotta figure out which thing is which and inspect all of them?
what parts don't you know? (honestly you should be taking your car to a dealer or certified mechanic if you cant point and name those basic parts. Just for anything more than a oil change that is. when you hit big mile markers might want to take it to a "professional")

I don't know of any grease fittings, I have looked around and haven't seen any and didn't look hard because I have so few miles I'm not honestly worried about grease at this point.
Maybe someone knows where all the grease fittings are???

·
Registered
353 Posts

I just did my oil change this weekend. Usually I'll do a quick wipe of my funnel before using it on the car just in case there are any fine dirt particles or anything. Anytime I'm under the car, that's when I inspect everything under there. I mainly checks for leaks, check the charge pipe clamps, I check the turbo to make sure there are no leaks, etc. I checks the belts, and tension.

·
Registered
506 Posts
what parts don't you know? (honestly you should be taking your car to a dealer or certified mechanic if you cant point and name those basic parts. Just for anything more than a oil change that is. when you hit big mile markers might want to take it to a "professional")

I don't know of any grease fittings, I have looked around and haven't seen any and didn't look hard because I have so few miles I'm not honestly worried about grease at this point.
Maybe someone knows where all the grease fittings are???
I just did my oil change this weekend. Usually I'll do a quick wipe of my funnel before using it on the car just in case there are any fine dirt particles or anything. Anytime I'm under the car, that's when I inspect everything under there. I mainly checks for leaks, check the charge pipe clamps, I check the turbo to make sure there are no leaks, etc. I checks the belts, and tension.
yeah thanks, when the car got higher miles I should take it in, good tip! thanks guys

·
Registered
506 Posts
in this picture http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/bchandlerucf/ST/photo3.jpg the floor jack point did he use this triangle metal piece? (he put it around the bigger nut circular area I think) can't really see it from the picture.
20160501_030535.jpg 20160501_030552.jpg

if so I don't think he had anything between the floor jack and the jack point right? no problem? ( the triangle piece got a slight slope as you can see from the slight light reflection in the 1st pic..make sure don't jack it up near there I guess)

and I am guessing the floor jack lever he have it in the gap between the wheel and the side door area ....I had it under the pinch weld and you can barely pump the floor jack.

my undercarriage is a little different, I don't have the point to place where he put the jack stand, can I put it here? inside the upside down "U' metal piece,top of my jack stand doesn't go that wide if I turn it 90 degrees like he does.
oil change 805.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitely reusable. The drain plug is very unique. It has a permanent gasket as part of the bolt itself. That's why the Ford Motorcraft oil filters don't include a washer.
if the seal looks beat up, replace the entire plug. they're cheap insurance.

and the factory oil filter is installed by a robot as far as i know. ford may be different, but toyota and honda are robots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
So I've got a YouTube channel on the side from my main job. When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do, filmed everything I was doing. That included the oil change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow, I know this thread is old but what a walk through! Just changed the oil for the 1st time on my '17 and happy to report that everything was the same as how you did it! Glad I read this before putting my car up and crawling under it as my 15mm socket disappeared.... saved me some time for sure. Used FL 400s filter and Royal Purple because well I like purple.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it ok to use a Puralator PBL20195 which I believe is the equivalent to the motorcraft fl400s? It is slightly larger but I read somewhere online it works. Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
How long to let the car run/idle so oil will drain out faster? (If car was never driven that day)

for oil change how come they always add 4.5 to 5 quarts, then start up the car check for leaks, then add the rest. can't u just add all the 5.7 quarts oil in one shot? (if you pre filled the oil filter)

·
Registered
24 Posts
How long to let the car run/idle so oil will drain out faster? (If car was never driven that day)

for oil change how come they always add 4.5 to 5 quarts, then start up the car check for leaks, then add the rest. can't u just add all the 5.7 quarts oil in one shot? (if you pre filled the oil filter)
I would drive it for about 10min. Oil won't heat up much just idling unless you idle for a very long time.

Some people go less-than-full at the beginning just to avoid over-filling. It sucks over-filling and having to get back under the car and drain some out.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Alright. Maybe this is a dumb question. Maybe not.

Moved into a new house. New driveway isn't completely level. So, what would be the ideal way to have the car lean for an oil change? Or, is a couple of degrees not a big deal? I assume it would be to the rear and driver side, if there's an option.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Alright. Maybe this is a dumb question. Maybe not.

Moved into a new house. New driveway isn't completely level. So, what would be the ideal way to have the car lean for an oil change? Or, is a couple of degrees not a big deal? I assume it would be to the rear and driver side, if there's an option.
Fill like 5 qt, then roll out to the street where you can measure and top off?

221 - 236 of 236 Posts