Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Wanted to put together a proper "How to" for moving the blow off valve over to natural vacuum and removing it from the stock solenoid. Hopefully this helps anyone that is looking to make their Turbosmart or Boomba BOV blow off properly! This might requiring adjusting your BOV after the install to adjust it to your desired BOV preference.

Shout out to a fellow ST member for letting me use his car to complete this write up!

Parts required:
1 - 3/16" Vacuum cap (NAPA Auto is where I picked up a 5 pack for $3)
1 - 2 feet of vacuum line 3/16" ID
1 - clamp
1 - Sound symposer delete kit with vacuum port or CPE
( https://cp-e.com/shop/product/ford-ecoboost-1-6l-2-0l-turbo-maptap/
https://cp-e.com/shop/product/focus-st-blockd-sound-symposer-delete/
https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/360087555/891100+-+COBB+Sound+Symposer+Delete )

Tool:
pair of pliers and cutters
8mm wrench to remove the sound symposer delete
maybe a 7/16" wrench to put on the barb

(Picture shows a barb we has that we picked up from ACE hardware because he didn't have the barb that came with his COBB SSD, for reference if you need one it is a 1/8NPT with a 3/16" barb part number is in the picture 4504130)

IMG_20181208_130251.jpg

Next picture is just reference to show what it should all look like stock:

IMG_20181208_130321.jpg

1) Unplug vacuum line going to the BOV from the solenoid

IMG_20181208_130536.jpg

2) Using a vac cap, cap off the solenoid port that the line was removed from

IMG_20181208_130811.jpg

3) Remove factory soft vacuum line from the hard line and replace it with the 2 feet of soft line and route to MAPTAP or sound delete vacuum source

IMG_20181208_132346.jpg

4) last one is just to show the location of the sound delete and how the line routes to it's location.

IMG_20181208_132355.jpg

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
6 likes and 0 comments... :in love: guessing it is so good of a review no one has feedback other than a like? :sorry:

Hope this reaches many people and helps many more! this can be my Christmas gift to the community :crazy:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Very niiiice (in Borat voice)

·
Registered
557 Posts
It is a great writeup with great pics. I could have used this a month ago. :big smile:

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is wonderful, thank you. Will be doing this over my next free weekend.
Glad to help!
I want to do more write ups now, have been thinking of a few.

is this vacuum also grass-fed, gluten-free and organic?
:crazy:
Yeah of course! :shocked:

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Need to swing by my local NAPA or O'Reilly to pick up these items and then drill/tap my symposer delete over the holidays.
I have had to drill and tap mine as well. My ACE Hardware had both drill and tap.

NAPA is where I got everything else. O'Reilly only had vac caps in a kit and I just wanted a single cap. for the picture I have a 5 pack but that is because I have been doing cars in my local club left and right.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have had to drill and tap mine as well. My ACE Hardware had both drill and tap.

NAPA is where I got everything else. O'Reilly only had vac caps in a kit and I just wanted a single cap. for the picture I have a 5 pack but that is because I have been doing cars in my local club left and right.
I've already got taps for.... reasons... (I used the bolt trick when doing my coilovers and spread the ears on the front knuckle too far and royally screwed up those threads), so I just need to pick up the right size drill bit.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I've been slowly gathering stuff for this as well. Thanks for an excellent write-up. I originally tapped my symposer delete a few months back as a delivery point for CRC GDI Valve Cleaner, but I just plugged it for the time being.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been slowly gathering stuff for this as well. Thanks for an excellent write-up. I originally tapped my symposer delete a few months back as a delivery point for CRC GDI Valve Cleaner, but I just plugged it for the time being.
could still use it of course.. don't need your BOV to be plugged into vac while you are sitting their filling your intake with the cleaner ;)

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
YUP--That's the plan. I'll just unhook the line where it attaches near the vacuum block to administer the CRC.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Waa waaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to do this because it’s something to do, but what does it really do?
the quick and easy is it supplies true/natural vacuum to the BOV opposed to have a controlled vacuum via a solenoid and the vacuum pump.

It will keep the BOV from blowing off when it really didn't need to blow off. It will hold boost based on vacuum and not based on what the computer telling the solenoid to do.

Maybe someone has better way of explaining it and even more in depth knowledge.

If you really like a LOUD BOV that goes off all of the time for no real reason... then this is NOT the mod for you.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now what most people don't realize by preferoming this mod is the spring is designed for the oem vacuum source. So when you move it to the intake manifold the valve is now open when not in boost. This created lag since the system now has to force shut the valve.

Sent from another garage.
Which BOV are you referring to? TIAL, HKS, Boomba, TurboSmart?

I did put in a blurb about BOV will require adjusting. Though I didn't feel the need to change out the spring. but good mention.

If you have springs for each application for this mod that would be helpful and I can add that.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
About this Discussion
75 Replies
23 Participants
mattdamon33
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing