Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in the "what did you do to your ST today" thread, but it's something that folks may easily miss, so I'm creating a post for it here as well in hopes more folks can utilize it.

I snagged the general instructions from another Ford forum and used them on my car. I've adjusted them for our ST since the other vehicle was slightly different.

#1 Hold the left steering wheel center ok button down and then hit the start button.
#2 Wait until the "push clutch to start" message disappears
#3 you'll see Test in the center screen.
#4 hit ok.
#5 At this point, you can use the up/down arrows to move to different menus (gauge sweep, color tests, chime tests, eco shift info, AFE, manufacturing info, etc.)
#6 hit arrows up/down (think it was down) until you get to the AFE screen and then hit OK. It should be set to the default of 1000. Use the arrow keys and OK to set it to the appropriate number you got (see below for instructions). I think left/right arrows went up and down by 100, up and down arrows went up/down 1 at a time. I ended up setting mine to 951.
#7 once set to desired numbers turn off ignition.

When you turn on the ignition again, you'll notice that your distance to empty as well as your average mpg has changed accordingly.

------------------------------

to calculate the correction factor, you'll need to pull data from several fill-ups. Total up the hand-calculated/actual mpgs as well as the total mpgs of what the computer said. Divide the "Actual" total by the "Computer says" total to get your correction factor. If it came out to .95122, for instance, you'd put 951 as your correction factor.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,296 Posts
I know I said mine reads low on my daily commute (90% highway) and high when I travel completely 100% highway, but Its easy enough to do that I may just do it based on my normal commute.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For what it’s worth, after adjusting my mileage AFE a few weeks ago, it appears that it’s dead on now. The last tank showed 27.1 on the trip computer, and hand calculated showed the same. The current tank has a lot more highway driving (mountain driving, but still), so I’ll update in a couple days when I fill up again.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I filled up this morning and the computer said 29.8, but in reality it was 31.4. I’ll see how this next tank works out since it’s going to be normal city driving and not a bunch of highway. Was still impressed to have 31.4 even with the tons of mountain driving at 70+ for a lot of the time, though.

Reactions: Neo1130

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
further update...

Computer mpg average was showing a little bit low this morning on the fill-up now that I'm back to "normal" commuting, so I had to adjust it a bit..

Actual was 27.9, computer said 27.1

27.1/27.9 = .971326

I already had is set to 915, so I need to adjust it based upon that calculation....

915/.971236 = 942. That'll be the new setting to try to get it closer to being accurate.

I realize it'll never likely be dead on consistently, but I would love for it to be within 1/2 mpg anyway, and that's the goal here... If I can get it that close, I'll call it good enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts