Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, it's Brian from Simple DIY Sync 3 Upgrades and Guides | NaviUpgrade.com!

I've been meaning to do this write up for a while, so I figured now is as good of as a time as any since I've seen this question come up in the forum recently.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a decent set of factory ST2/3 lights to do this conversion on my own vehicle, so this is all decoded and ready for someone to do on theirs. I know this is possible and that the steps in this guide will lead you to success.

Please note that if you are reading this guide from a mobile device, I have tables (like Excel tables) that can only be viewed from a computer.

With that out of the way...

To get ST2/3 auto-levelling and cornering lights to work on a ST1 car without any headlamp faults on your dash, this is what you need to do.

First, source a Headlight Control Module from a 2015+ ST. This can be found up under near the steering column. See column 7, row A of this diagram to see where this module is located.

Okay, you have your parts. Now lets get into wiring.

Here's the pigtail and pinouts for the HCM. Go buy pigtail "WPT-1550" (or cut this connector out of a junker when getting the HCM) and follow the rest of the guide for wiring.

Because we're dealing with wiring straight from fuse areas, it's best to disconnect the battery before we start working. You don't want to fry your BCM, so please do this.

We're mounting everything back behind the glove box, so to make working easier, it's probably easiest to fully remove your glove box

Let's start with tapping power lines. Use a fuse tap to Fuse 37 (15A) and split off into 2 very long wires (long enough to run to your headlights) and 1 short wire. I'd recommend soldering this for the best connection.

Here's where these 3 wires will go.

Wiring Gauge (AWG)Fuse Tap (15A)Circuit NameConnector LocationConnector Pin
18Fuse 37CBB37Headlight Control Module (the short wire goes here)PIN #24
18Fuse 37CBB37Left Headlight Assembly ConnectorPIN #2
18Fuse 37CBB37Right Headlight Assembly ConnectorPIN #2

While you're doing fuse taps, add another to Fuse 43 (15A) -- run two long wires off this to add to your headlight connectors.

18Fuse 43CBB39Left Headlight Assembly ConnectorPIN #13
18Fuse 43CBB39Right Headlight Assembly ConnectorPIN #13

Take a look at this wiring diagram below to start to get an understanding about why we're tapping these connections and understand where these wires are going to be running.

You'll need to tap into the VDB04/05 High Speed CANBUS network -- choose a location from this chart to draw this signal from.

From this, I would probably choose to pull from the APIM since its the closest to the BCM/HCM on the ST1. On the APIM connector you can pull VDB04 from PIN 53 and VDB05 from PIN 54. Here's the pin layout for the 54 pin APIM connector.

Here's the pins of the HCM and where to pull the signal from the APIM.

Wiring Gauge (AWG)Circuit NameHeadlight Control Module Pin #APIM Pin #
22VDB04PIN #19PIN #53
22VDB05PIN #7PIN #54

You'll need to pull these connections and run them out to their specified headlights (remember to pull the fuse wires out to your headlights at the same time!).

Wiring Gauge (AWG)Circuit NameHeadlight Control Module Pin #Headlight Side & Pin #
16CLF06PIN #13LEFT -- PIN #6
22VLF32PIN #10LEFT -- PIN #14
16CLF07PIN #1RIGHT -- PIN #6
22VLF33PIN #21RIGHT -- PIN #14

Here's the stock wiring for the halogen headlamp connectors.

Here's the wiring of the ST2/3 Headlamp Connectors so you can have an idea of the differences between ST1 and ST2/3 light wirings.

ST3 Headlight Left

ST3 Headlight Right

As long as you grab the HCM out of a Focus ST2/3 you'll be good to go without any programming. Once all wiring is done, reconnect your battery and enjoy your awesome ST2/3 headlights with auto-levelling and cornering lights!

Hope this helps anybody who is looking to do a Focus ST2/3 Headlight swap into their Focus ST1 or even a Focus S/SE/Titanium.

Let me know if this guide led you to a successful conversion! Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll be happy to provide advice below.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey guys, it's Brian from Simple DIY Sync 3 Upgrades and Guides | NaviUpgrade.com!

I've been meaning to do this write up for a while, so I figured now is as good of as a time as any since I've seen this question come up in the forum recently.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a decent set of factory ST2/3 lights to do this conversion on my own vehicle, so this is all decoded and ready for someone to do on theirs. I know this is possible and that the steps in this guide will lead you to success.

To get ST2/3 auto-levelling and cornering lights to work on a ST1 car without any headlamp faults on your dash, this is what you need to do.

First, source a Headlight Control Module from a 2015+ ST. This can be found up under near the steering column. See column 7, row A of this diagram to see where this module is located.

View attachment 385840

Here's the pigtail and pinouts for the HCM. Go buy pigtail "WPT-1550" (or cut this connector out of a junker when getting the HCM) and follow the rest of the guide for wiring.

View attachment 385842

Because we're dealing with wiring straight from fuse areas, it's best to disconnect the battery before we start working. You don't want to fry your BCM, so please do this.

We're mounting everything back behind the glove box, so to make working easier, it's probably easiest to fully remove your glove box

Let's start with tapping power lines. Use a fuse tap to Fuse 37 (15A) and split off into 2 very long wires (long enough to run to your headlights) and 1 short wire. I'd recommend soldering this. for the best connection.

While you're doing fuse taps, add another to Fuse 43 (15A) -- run two long wires off this to add to your headlight connectors.

Take a look at this wiring diagram below to start to get an understanding about why we're tapping these connections and understand where these wires are going to be running.

View attachment 385843

You'll need to tap into the VDB04/05 High Speed CANBUS network -- choose a location from this chart to draw this signal from.

View attachment 385845

From this, I would probably choose to pull from the APIM since its the closest to the BCM/HCM on the ST1. On the APIM connector you can pull VDB04 from PIN 53 and VDB05 from PIN 54. Here's the pin layout for the 54 pin APIM connector.

View attachment 385846

22VDB04PIN #19PIN #53
22VDB05PIN #7PIN #54

You'll need to pull these connections and run them out to their specified headlights (remember to pull the fuse wires out to your headlights at the same time!).

Wiring Gauge (AWG)Circuit NameHeadlight Control Module Pin #Headlight Side & Pin #

View attachment 385847

Here's the wiring of the ST2/3 Headlamp Connectors so you can have an idea of the differences between ST1 and ST2/3 light wirings.

ST3 Headlight Left
View attachment 385848

ST3 Headlight Right
View attachment 385849

As long as you grab the HCM out of a Focus ST2/3 you'll be good to go without any programming. Once all wiring is done, reconnect your battery and enjoy your awesome ST2/3 headlights with auto-levelling and cornering lights!

Hope this helps anybody who is looking to do a Focus ST2/3 Headlight swap into their Focus ST1 or even a Focus S/SE/Titanium.

Let me know if this guide led you to a successful conversion! Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll be happy to provide advice below.
Pretty epic information. Thank you for the knowledge and sharing in the forum. Seeing your wiring expertise. You got any plans to make a jumper harness for the under dash wiring. Anyway to pull that off without splicing. You’d be the one ask if it possible :)

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
WOW, Thanks for sharing this information with the community, This will solve a lot of questions regarding the headlight upgrade.

Kudos!

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,778 Posts
@brianlovelace - does this also all apply to the pre-facelift (2013/4) ST1 cars as well (assuming a set of HID headlamps could be found for less than the price of a small house) ?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Please note that if you are reading this guide from a mobile device, I have tables (like Excel tables) that can only be viewed from a computer.

View attachment 385840

View attachment 385842

Let's start with tapping power lines. Use a fuse tap to Fuse 37 (15A) and split off into 2 very long wires (long enough to run to your headlights) and 1 short wire. I'd recommend soldering this for the best connection.

View attachment 385843

View attachment 385845

View attachment 385846

22VDB04PIN #19PIN #53
22VDB05PIN #7PIN #54

View attachment 385847

ST3 Headlight Left
View attachment 385848

ST3 Headlight Right
View attachment 385849

Hi from the UK, total noob here. Hope you don't mind me asking you....I'm looking to facelift my (UK) 2013 st3 to 2015+face lift spec.
I know it may seem a bit backwards but I'm wanting to fit the standard halogen units when I do the facelift, cost is the deciding factor at the moment. My st3 has the hid with cornering lights currently so I have the self levelling system etc all in place. To fit the 2015+ halogen units will they plug and play, perhaps with just some changes with forscan/focccus?
The only other thing I have seen with the 2015 units is that two earth cables inside need to be jumped together.
I have searched and read through some how to's on here, but normal people are upgrading to the st3 lights :)

Thanks any help you can give(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 385840

View attachment 385842

View attachment 385843

View attachment 385845

View attachment 385846

22VDB04PIN #19PIN #53
22VDB05PIN #7PIN #54

View attachment 385847

ST3 Headlight Left
View attachment 385848

ST3 Headlight Right
View attachment 385849

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is great info - I have the LED lights that move up and down for hi-low beam (not HID). I'm trying to find a feed to connect to a relay for my light bar - would the wire colours be the same? Thanks!
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts