·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Car: 2016 Focus ST
Mileage When Acquired: 42
Mileage When First Tuned: 200 miles ?
Present Mileage: 84,XXX
Tuner/Tune: Unleashed
Engine Mod Summary: GTX3071 ATP kit, Full Exhaust (Thermal R&D), AEM WMI (Two Nozzles) and Nitrous Oxide
Issues:

Stock engine = 44,1xx I hurt the engine testing the nitrous system. What happen was undetectable with data logs, so there nothing I can show you to explain what happen.

I know exactly what happen and I won't discuss it any further.

Otherwise the engine ran fine, still had the stock plugs in it and ran [email protected] with downpipe and tune as my main power adders.

The decision was made that a used engine would be the best course of action since I needed the car back on the road. That actually took longer than I thought. The testing accident happen back in June of 2017, I didn't fire up the car again and actually drive it until Oct of 2017. I didn't want to build the motor and end up with the stock turbo. In hindsight I believe that was the right thing to do.

The used engine had 14,116 miles on it when it was pulled from its original home (2016 Fusion).

I have no fear of Ecoboost reliability. I can't explain what happens to 100% stock cars, on the stock tune.

You have no idea how bad I want to turn up the power, but fundamentals can't be ignored. They often are and cars get parted out and sold.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Car: 2016 ST3
Mileage When Acquired: 60 miles
Mileage When First Tuned: ~5k miles
Present Mileage: 38,000
Tuner/Tune: Stratified 93/E30 tunes (Ran COBB stage 1 for a week before going Strat)
Engine Mod Summary: Stage 3 - COBB intake, CPE FMIC and piping w/ Tial Q BOV, 200 cell DP, Ford Racing Catback, Denso ITV22s
Issues: I have literally not had any powertrain issues, and I run it pretty hard. Daily driven through 2 Michigan winters already.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Car: 2013 ST1
Mileage When Acquired: 60
Mileage When First Tuned: 900
Present Mileage: 30k, almost all city driving.
Tuner/Tune: Stratified BT Tune
Engine Mod Summary: EFR 6758, Aux Fuel, 26-27psi, making around 450whp, exhaust, intake, depo fmic, stock motor and clutch.
Issues: Getting O2 sensors set for emissions sucks on this car... aside from that nothing. Two years plus at this power level.

Reactions: SiThlord

·
Registered
5 Posts
Car: 2016 ST1
Mileage When Acquired: 12miles
Mileage When First Tuned: 5000
Present Mileage: 22525
Tuner/Tune: Stratified OTS 91
Engine Mod Summary: Green filter, ngk -1 spark plugs, depo catless dp, depo fmic, turbosmart bov, resonator replaced with magnaflow glasspack, muffler delete.
Issues: only issues i had with the car was it was throwing codes for misfiring right after tuning to stg1 cobb ots. installed the ngk 1 step colder plugs then tuned with stratified. have not seen an issue since. looking forward to my recently purchased E30 tune.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Car: 2017 Focus ST
Mileage When Acquired: 32
Mileage When First Tuned: 12,700
Present Mileage: 17,100
Tuner/Tune: FRPP Calibration
Engine Mod Summary: drop-in Green Filter, MBRP catback exhaust.
Issues: No issues at this time, nor have I experienced any yet. Loving the torque from this tune. Will probably go with JST in a year or so...

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Issues: No issues at this time, nor have I experienced any yet. Loving the torque from this tune. Will probably go with JST in a year or so...
Did you install the colder plugs that came with it? No K&N with kit? I inquired with Ford Performance about running a open-end Green or Mountune filter with the FRPP tune and they advised against it since they never measured how it flows with the calibration. They advised to use the K&N that comes with it and also the stock closed airbox (I also asked abut using the OEM RS airbox). Did the dealer & FP sign off on the limited warranty with installing the other filter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you install the colder plugs that came with it? No K&N with kit? I inquired with Ford Performance about running a open-end Green or Mountune filter with the FRPP tune and they advised against it since they never measured how it flows with the calibration. They advised to use the K&N that comes with it and also the stock closed airbox (I also asked abut using the OEM RS airbox). Did the dealer & FP sign off on the limited warranty with installing the other filter?
Yes, used the plugs that came with the calibration. I installed this specific kit:

http://www.trueblueracingparts.com/2013-2017-FOCUS-ST-CALIBRATION-WITH-SPARK-PLUGS_p_514.html

This is sold from a dealer in Boyertown PA it's their site, bought it from them and installed it at their dealer after purchasing. They took care of the warranty paperwork. They told me to keep receipts for both the install and purchase and they tracked the install. This particular dealer installs tons of these "tunes, two other STs were getting the same pack installed the day I was there. Nothing was said about my filter, which I had installed before the dealer did the tune.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yes, used the plugs that came with the calibration. I installed this specific kit:

2013-2017 FOCUS ST CALIBRATION WITH SPARK PLUGS

This is sold from a dealer in Boyertown PA it's their site, bought it from them and installed it at their dealer after purchasing. They took care of the warranty paperwork. They told me to keep receipts for both the install and purchase and they tracked the install. This particular dealer installs tons of these "tunes, two other STs were getting the same pack installed the day I was there. Nothing was said about my filter, which I had installed before the dealer did the tune.
Same, I picked my plugs/calibration up from True Blue Racing, took it up to my dealership in Lehighton, did calibration with Ford tech after plug install. Running with Green filter, stock airbox, and FRPP Exhaust. No issues and runs beautifully.

The K&N filter is literally the same filter, and FRP sells it sans end cap as well. Not sure why they’d give much stink about it.

·
Super Moderator
8,426 Posts
Mileage When Acquired: 26
Mileage When First Tuned: 20k ish, maybe less
Present Mileage: 82000
Tuner/Tune: freektune, several maps and full tunes
Engine Mod Summary:lmao, one of the heaviest modded ST's around
Issues: just synchros. Motor has been flawless. Currently big turbo.

With proper maint, and monitoring, these motors last. No worries.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2014 ST3. I went JSTuned Stage 3 93/e30 at 46k and I'm currently at 87k. Car is running very strong! I have had a one issue one time due to some bad gas. I now avoid Love's at all costs LOL.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Bought my car new off the lot back on august 1st 2014. Slowly added mods little by little. Tuned it with Freektune at like 20k miles then switched to JST at like 40k i think. Ran e30 alot and daily drove it for the first 3 years.

Now as of today its at 60600 miles with full bolt ons ,bigger turbo , aux fuel and e40 tune by JST and hasnt skipped a beat at all. Ive been on the big turbo fir about a year now. Has NEVER thrown a check engine light or anything. Nothing has broken on it at all.

Now that ive typed this im sure it will blow up on my next time out haha but i want people to see this and not be scared to mod. These cars are awesome

·
Registered
84 Posts
Car: 2017 FoST Purchased new.
Mileage When Acquired: <10
Mileage When First Tuned: ~14k
Present Mileage:20k
Tuner/Tune: First used Cobb OTS stage 2; now on JST 93 "Stage 3".
Engine Mod Summary: Turbo back (catless), Filter, CPe 5.5" FMIC, stock piping, stock turbo, NGK 1 step plugs.
Issues: None.

Refreshing post and a good idea!! First thing I did was add an FMIC because of the suggestions here. Put a cbe on a little later and bought a used AP sometime after that. The Cobb tune did pretty good with very few neg corrections but went with JST as soon as I added the catless dp.

Currently really trying to enjoy the car as it sits and NOT add more power with fuel/wmi and BT, at least for a while.

I wonder though, with Ford moving these models out, how long will these turbo kits and fuel solutions remain available?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Car: 2017 FoST Purchased new.
Mileage When Acquired: <10
Mileage When First Tuned: ~14k
Present Mileage:20k
Tuner/Tune: First used Cobb OTS stage 2; now on JST 93 "Stage 3".
Engine Mod Summary: Turbo back (catless), Filter, CPe 5.5" FMIC, stock piping, stock turbo, NGK 1 step plugs.
Issues: None.

Refreshing post and a good idea!! First thing I did was add an FMIC because of the suggestions here. Put a cbe on a little later and bought a used AP sometime after that. The Cobb tune did pretty good with very few neg corrections but went with JST as soon as I added the catless dp.

Currently really trying to enjoy the car as it sits and NOT add more power with fuel/wmi and BT, at least for a while.

I wonder though, with Ford moving these models out, how long will these turbo kits and fuel solutions remain available?
With how many of these cars there are in the wild, between US and EU I doubt we will see a shortage on aftermarket availability for a long while.

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
18k miles I tuned it full bolt on's with Stratified...now I'm at almost 61k miles...0 issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Car: 2015 ST3

Mileage When Acquired: 7

Mileage When First Tuned: 10K

Present Mileage: 33K

Tuner/Tune: Stratified 93/E30

Engine Mod Summary:
CPE intake
MBRP catless turbo back
Depo intercooler
Both Damon OCCs
NGK spark plugs
Probably stuff I'm forgetting

Issues:
Only had an issue with the vapor canister on the fuel tank. It caused the engine to die and pop a check engine light when I filled the car up with gas.

Tune related issues? None at all. Knock on wood

I'm about to install a gtx2867, Tial bov, and stratified Xtra fuel. Hopefully no issues after that, but the car has been the most reliable of my group of friends. (2005 STi, 2012 Evo X, 2015 335i)

So take from that what you will.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Car: 2016 Focus ST1
Mileage When Acquired: 226
Mileage When First Tuned: 9,860
Present Mileage: 64,578
Tuner/Tune: Stratified Baby!!! 93/E30, I went big turbo/aux fuel at 56,500 and now 93/E50
Engine Mod Summary:FBO
Issues:Traction below 3rd gear lol... Only issue Ive had is the stock clutch going out but i beat the hell out of it!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Car: 2016 ST
Mileage When Acquired: 10
Mileage When First Tuned: 12,000
Present Mileage: 22,000
Tuner/Tune: Stratified 91 tune Stage2
Engine Mod Summary: drop in filter, depo intercooler, resonator delete, ss delete,ags delete
Issues: I have had tunes from other tuners and have had electrical glitches like ags staying shut only on their tune, random fault messages on the cluster. Ever since I went with Stratified its been running better,faster, and had 0 issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Running 93/E30 for the last 62k miles daily driven Unleashed Tune by Torrie. Upgraded Intercooler, colder plugs and 200 count downpipe. It's a wonderful thing...

·
Registered
126 Posts
One owner, since 131 miles or so... Mango Baby! Feb 2013 model, bought in 8.14. Almost 60k on their now. Zero engine issues! (Lost the rear endlinks , and went hog wild with bolt on's since!). I also had a vent to the gas tank clog and throw a code. Only other code, was my 200 cell DP threw the O2 code, on a 95+ degree day, with Dew point in the high 70's, in long, slow, highway, rush hour traffic on a HOT afternoon... when the car was not warmed up yet. Cleared it with the SCT4... Nothing for 10k+.

Steeda FMIC, CAI, RMM, PMM, TMM, Swaybars, endlinks (which got me started!), Oil separator, Symp delete, Throttle Body and Manifold Spacers, Short Shift plate, Steeda Stage3 tune!; CNT catted DownPipe, Magnaflow Catback, FRPP Springs (can't go lower because I live on a hill - unless I bagged them)... Just enjoying a sat afternoon working on the car once in awhile... regular routine maintenance... Daily driver, sometimes work vehicle... Just a blast to drive, and own, and learn from you all!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts