Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The blown motor thread is like 220 pages. Kind of scary. The signal : noise ratio is super low though, and it's hard to get an actual feel for whats going on. So, tell me how RELIABLE your tuned engine has been, and with what aftermarket parts / tune maps. I ask because I jumped the gun a bit and installed an AP3 on my new-to-me ST with the Cobb S1 map, and now I'm a bit paranoid about popping the motor having read tons of that blown motor thread.

Car:
Mileage When Acquired:
Mileage When First Tuned:
Present Mileage:
Tuner/Tune:
Engine Mod Summary:
Issues:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my tuned motor. Granted I've only put about 6k-8k miles since tuning it, but it's running strong on a Stratified 93/e30 combo tune. Pulls very strong and still surprises me when I put a tank of e30 in ever once in a while. I have most all bolt ons but upgraded intercooler right now. Btw I highly recommend Stratified. Good luck tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Been JSTuned Stage 3 E35/91 for the last 7k miles now and so far its been very reliable. I daily on the E35 tune and only run 91 if im going on a road trip. So far so good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
Stratified tuned stage 2 for 40k miles and now on stage 3 (both high tq e30) for 6kmiles, car has 89k miles on it and runs just fine with rare negative corrections. Just a bit of valve coking but that's to be expected.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bought the car with 22k, put the Cobb stage 1 tune on at 25K. Went FBO with CoBB stage 3 tune at 33kish. At just before 50K I went big turbo (GTX2863) with meth tuned by Freektune, 340 WHP with 93 for daily then weekend tune at 380-400 WHP. Returned back to stock at 63k and then sold at 65K, Motor still running good from what the guy tells me with the Cobb Stage 1 Tune. The car was put through its paces everyday, easily saw 100mph everyday :RockOn:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I feel like this motor is a lot more reliable than I give it credit for. I'm only stage 1 FSWERKS 93 tuned and haven't had a single problem besides some wacky fluctuations in the throttle in the first couple seconds when it's started. Although I'm not pushing insane power or anything I tend to drive like an ass everyday. Been tuned since May and honestly don't know how many miles I put on since then.

P.S. - I put a lot of miles on my car

Tapatalkin on my MOTO Z

·
Registered
72 Posts
The thread we needed!

Reactions: I'm Dave

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Car: 2013 ST1
Mileage When Acquired: Purchased new
Mileage When First Tuned: 32K
Present Mileage: 72K
Tuner/Tune: Stratified OTS 91/93 Octane
Engine Mod Summary: Stage 2 (FMIC & Intake; stock turbo and and exhaust)
Issues: Only one major correction event during a pull on the 8.0 series tune years ago. Alex provided an update; only minor negative corrections before and after, always due to marginal fuel octane (corrected with MMT). Tune has been otherwise flawless.

Overall I've run multiple versions of Alex's flash tunes to take advantage of new firmware features as they become available. Currently on 9.0.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
477 Posts
Bought a used 2016 with 18000mi. Stock. Went "stage 3" with Mountune parts and custom 93 octane tune at 21k. Currently at 36k with no issues except a slight oil leak (seems like a few others have a similar leak). The car runs great. It gets driven hard on the street a couple times a week.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
It's just like when you go out to eat and have a decent meal, you dont bother writing a review for it. If you go out to eat and the food destroys you and the service sucks, you let everyone know. Most people that are tuned, probably havent had any note worthy issues. I havent had anything wrong tune related and have most of the power mods

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's just like when you go out to eat and have a decent meal, you dont bother writing a review for it. If you go out to eat and the food destroys you and the service sucks, you let everyone know. Most people that are tuned, probably havent had any note worthy issues. I havent had anything wrong tune related and have most of the power mods
This is truth

Tapatalkin on my MOTO Z

·
Registered
304 Posts
Car: 2013 ST2
Mileage When Acquired: Purchased used at 5000 miles
Mileage When First Tuned: 13K
Present Mileage: 54k
Tuner/Tune: Stratified 93 / E30 High Torque
Engine Mod Summary: Stage 1 (Intake; stock turbo and and catback exhaust) for 40K, Stage 3 (intake, FMIC, catted downpipe and catback exhaust) for 1k miles
Issues: only minor negative corrections

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Issues: Only one major correction event during a pull on the 8.0 series tune years ago. Alex provided an update; only minor negative corrections before and after, always due to marginal fuel octane (corrected with MMT). Tune has been otherwise flawless.

Overall I've run multiple versions of Alex's flash tunes to take advantage of new firmware features as they become available. Currently on 9.0.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Going to use this format as well, thanks!

Car: 2015 ST3
Mileage When Acquired: Purchased new with 2 miles and no test drives
Mileage When First Tuned: 10k maybe a few less
Present Mileage: 74,000
Tuner/Tune: COBB stage 3 OTS 91o
Engine Mod Summary: Stage 3 - Depo IC/charge pipes, TIAL BOV, Steeda intake, (catless) Greddy Turboback exhaust, Snow Performance stage 1 meth (installed at 73k), step colder NGKs.
Issues: had to replace the evap system because of P1450 at 73k, replaced very simply part and no code now. Hardly call it an "issue" it didn't leave me on the side of the road, just was hard to start after fill ups

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hope that helps,
Mark
Of course! Every post helps! Thanks everyone, keep em coming.

Exactly why I figured we need this thread. The blown motor thread is such a buzzkill.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great Idea!

Car: 2016 ST2
Mileage When First Tuned: 2K
Present Mileage: 21K
Tuner/Tune: Me! 91Oct and E30
Engine Mod Summary: OE Turbo, Levels FMIC, Catted 3" Downpipe, Rouch Catback, Step colder plugs, green filter
Issues: None

Biggest recommendation from me would be a FMIC, the stock one sucks and will limit what you can safely run for timing - cool that aircharge and things will stay much safer! After that it would be run E30 - I run it daily now, just upp'd my oil change interval to counteract the ethanol. I tested my last oil (Blackstone Labs) at 4k and it was a bit below spec on viscosity so I am moving to 3k intervals and will test again. I run OE oil and filters.

·
Registered
464 Posts
2014 ST3, purchased bone stock with 26k miles in May2017. Unleashed OTS 93 octane Tune Jan 8, 2018 when I added Mishimoto's intercooler and piping.

Currently at 46k miles. Not so much as a hiccup. Could probably use some plugs. I have not monitored after the first month or so as I like to live dangerously.

Runs like a scalded dog, even in this Houston heat, gets the beans daily. Zero questionable behavior from the car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow, that is the first I've heard of BL saying to shorten OCI.
They advised it was fine, and normal with the higher ethanol content in my fuel. However I am weird about my oil and would rather just change it early than try to squeeze time from it :)
If you ran 91oct 5k+ would likely be fine.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Car: 2013 ST (Bought in 2012)
Mileage When Acquired: 33km
Mileage When First Tuned: 40,000km
Present Mileage: 102,700km
Tuner/Tune: Torrie @unleashed, 91oct full custom being run on 94 3/4 of the time
Engine Mod Summary: Manifold spacer, balance shaft delete w/pan baffle, 1 step colder plugs, 2 step for track, custom catback, CXRacing FMIC.
Issues: None (I did burn out my 1 step plugs at a drag one night, hence why I carry 2 step and swap at the track, kinda runs poopy on 2 step when just dding)

I don't exactly go easy on this car, haven't since I passed the break-in mileage. But then again out of my little group of ST's in my city I seem to have the unicorn, everyone else began having issues at about 40,000km and ended up trading their cars in. The closest thing to an issue I had was the harness issue where the car would stall out randomly, but I had fixed that myself long before it had become a TSB or recall and haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Great thread. I want to tune if I decide to keep my car after lease ends a year from now. And this will help greatly. Keep them coming.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts