Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
are you asking to find out what others do or do you not know when to change your oil??

ps welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Personally it's every 3000-4000 on engine oil, then between every 30,000-40,000 for transmission.

Royal Purple 5w-30 and Motul

·
Registered
360 Posts
I usually change mine between 8-10k miles. I know I push it, but I drive very very far, around 25k+ miles per year so I am changing it every 3-4 months or so.

I use 6 quarts of Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w-30 with a Motorcraft FL400s filter to help accomodate my high mileage change intervals

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hmm let's see if this attachment thing worked. Here's my oil analysis from Blackstone for my last change. Includes one very mild track day and a 1200 mile highway trip plus commuting in city traffic 50 miles per day. Their recommendation is I'm safe to go to 7,500 next time and possibly further pending that analysis.

This is standard Motorcraft synthetic blend oil at the dealer. Engine was not fully warm which is the cause of some fuel in the oil.

I do about 20-25k miles per year for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
First change was at 1,000 miles, the second change was at 5,000 mile, and every change after that is on a 5,000 mile interval. I run Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5W30 with a Ford FL-400S to hold six full quarts of oil; these supplies run around $35 from amazon.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a lot of short trips and it gets seriously hot out here, so I just do the 3K mile thing. I know I could probably get more out of it, but it's cheap at my dealership, so I don't mind.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
7500 give or take. I run an oversized Purolator PureOne PL20195 filter and Mobil1 full synthetic.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Personally it's every 3000-4000 on engine oil, then between every 30,000-40,000 for transmission.

Royal Purple 5w-30 and Motul
This exactly. Except I'll probably change my transmission fluid this summer, and I only have just under 17k.

·
Registered
420 Posts
In my previous vehicles, I changed the oil every 3,000 or 3 months.

The ST, I will not go above 5K miles. I drive my ST so much that time isn't really a factor, just every 5,000 miles. For me, this is regardless of what conditions the vehicle is driven in.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
There are other threads on this but here goes; I change when it tells me to, which is every 10k. I use Mobil1 synthetic 0w-40 and a mid-range filter. Sure, over-changing doesn't hurt anything but why? Let's say it makes a 3% difference in the life of an engine. If you keep your car til 300k miles and it breaks you might have been able to go to 310k. In those 300k miles you changed your oil 100 times (assuming every 3k miles) and I would have changed mine 30 times. You have used 360 more quarts of oil than me. If everyone in the world did this there would be an oil shortage. Change responsibly!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I change pretty much every 5k miles because I drive about 80% city, barely getting the engine warmed up a lot of times, mixed with some hard driving, and I only drive around 10k a year so it's about every 5-6 months for me. Full synthetic only.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are other threads on this but here goes; I change when it tells me to, which is every 10k. I use Mobil1 synthetic 0w-40 and a mid-range filter. Sure, over-changing doesn't hurt anything but why? Let's say it makes a 3% difference in the life of an engine. If you keep your car til 300k miles and it breaks you might have been able to go to 310k. In those 300k miles you changed your oil 100 times (assuming every 3k miles) and I would have changed mine 30 times. You have used 360 more quarts of oil than me. If everyone in the world did this there would be an oil shortage. Change responsibly!
Except you should consider other factors. Any shop you get it changed at is recycling the oil. It's not just thrown away.
If you do it yourself, you should be saving it and taking it somewhere like Advanced Auto Parts to recycle it.

Also, not everyone drives performance cars like this.
Even then, not everyone that drives a performance car is anal about their oil.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm anal about it - every 5k -- and it's easy to remember because it's at 25k now and needs a change, next at 30k, etc...

Do it myself. Full syn Pennzoil Platinum. I have a fetish with the underside of the ST. I always check everything out under there while the oil is draining. Check tire pressure every week. I need help LOL

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I'm anal about it - every 5k -- and it's easy to remember because it's at 25k now and needs a change, next at 30k, etc...

Do it myself. Full syn Pennzoil Platinum. I have a fetish with the underside of the ST. I always check everything out under there while the oil is draining. Check tire pressure every week. I need help LOL
You don't need help. That is how I am also lol.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts