Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like the idea of adding boost to these engines. Seems like the ringlands simply aren't a fan over time.

Anyways, how much power do you figure FMIC, intake, downpipe, exhaust would add on completely stock boost? And yes, I understand without a tune it's wasting plenty of potential.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't like the idea of adding boost to these engines. Seems like the ringlands simply aren't a fan over time.

Anyways, how much power do you figure FMIC, intake, downpipe, exhaust would add on completely stock boost? And yes, I understand without a tune it's wasting plenty of potential.
Without a tune it will not add anything. The FMIC will help to keep power over a couple of pulls as the stock FMIC will get heat soaked after just 2 or 3 pulls.

From factory the ECU is programmed to limit power before hitting the limit of even the stock parts and even with a tune the intake and exhaust are just for looks and sound as the factory intake and exhaust handle anything the engine can throw at it unless you go big turbo.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts

Without a tune, they won't do anything. The ECU is going to make it run like stock regardless of what you put on it.

EDIT: The overboost has been recorded hitting over 20psi stock. Tuned I am at 23.25, so honestly it's not that much of a difference, but the tune will change how and when the power comes in greatly. (Custom Stratified tuned for me)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You can get tunes that do not add boost, this is a requirement for certain AutoX classes. Things like timing, fuel, etc all can make for a more "peppy," experience, without adding more psi to the engine. To say a tune is wasted, is simply not true.

Add a better FMIC for better thermal capabilities during extended WOT intervals, a free'er flowing downpipe... There are gains to be had, but nothing like changing the boost curve where it matters.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your best bet is to talk to the tuners. One of the tuners can set you up with a custom tune. I know Stratified offers Valet mode and Eco mode which drops the boost to 15 psi. So I am sure they can give you the details on how it will affect power at a certain psi. My boost peaks usually 22.9 with my Stage 2 tune.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get tunes that do not add boost, this is a requirement for certain AutoX classes. Things like timing, fuel, etc all can make for a more "peppy," experience, without adding more psi to the engine. To say a tune is wasted, is simply not true.

Add a better FMIC for better thermal capabilities during extended WOT intervals, a free'er flowing downpipe... There are gains to be had, but nothing like changing the boost curve where it matters.
Really interested in knowing about these tunes. Custom tunes? Most OTF tunes add boost no?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've been running 26 psi for more than 30k miles with no issues on stock engine. Maybe I'm just lucky? For all the mods being done I haven't seen many engine failures reported so I feel these engine are pretty solid - at least for you to up your boost a little without much worry.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just want to jump in here and say I kinda agree with OP in terms of not raising boost. I'm not a turbo junkie, never have been. I like the car with how it feels stock, ample power and it's torquey down low which I like because I'm doing mountain runs fairly often. Personally I'm cool with raising it to what the normal "overboost" is set at, but I'm more interested in having the engine harness the mods rather than going for broke chasing numbers.

Personally, I'm happy with a slower car that feels right than a car which only has power on the top end. Just my 2 cents

1 - 9 of 9 Posts