Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an after market filter, besides that I'm bone stock. I'm thinking for my next upgrade I'm going with a Borla cat-back. How much HP would you think that would add? Feel free to let me know of other suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
I have an after market filter, besides that I'm bone stock. I'm thinking for my next upgrade I'm going with a Borla cat-back. How much HP would you think that would add? Feel free to let me know of other suggestions.
Zero...the factory ECU torque targets; once you hit the magic number the ECU dials back fuel, timing, boost, etc. The only way to make more power is to get an after market tune that is dialed in for the mods you add.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What these guys said ^^^. From what I understand and have read, the factory exhaust is actually pretty good from Ford. I would definitely save the $$$ and go with a Cobb Accessport. If you order one from some of the vendors here, you'll get a discounted or even free tune from them including what Cobb offers.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Cobb Accessport, a downpipe (not catback...catback is for NOISE ONLY pretty much on these cars), and an upgraded front mount intercooler are basically the main mods that will net you any gains at all...and even the downpipe and FMIC won't do anything really without the AP. It's the backbone to modding our car.

·
Registered
768 Posts
But you want the parts first, correct? Otherwise you are left with a need to retune if you add parts after the Accessport?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
But you want the parts first, correct? Otherwise you are left with a need to retune if you add parts after the Accessport?
Correct, if you can afford to do so get the parts and then the tune. When buying the accessport, also, do not buy it off of Cobb directly. Buy it off of Stratified/Panda/whoever you get your tune from. Same price (Or probably cheaper) and a free tune to go with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So can you add parts without a tune? I'm coming from a WRX and they like to blow up if you don't tune them for something as simple as changing the air filter.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
So can you add parts without a tune? I'm coming from a WRX and they like to blow up if you don't tune them for something as simple as changing the air filter.
If you add parts to our car and don't tune it...you won't get a gain because our ECU hits a designated mark then dials back performance to maintain that mark. The tune essentially tells the computer "Hey you can go ahead and increase that mark and make some gains from these parts"

Edit: So to answer your question definitively, yes. You can change the parts and it won't do much of anything.

·
1,976 Posts
75 rwhp for sure!!!! But act now and throw on those Borla stickers that you get in the box for added 5 rwhp each!!! But in real world nothing to add, best bang for the buck is tuner first run the off the shelf maps, until you put on a downpipe and intercooler then get a custom tune. Catbacks as a general rule of thumb are for sound added, making the car sound more like a performance car (unless you stick on a raspy fart cannon then you lose cool points).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
75 rwhp for sure!!!! But act now and throw on those Borla stickers that you get in the box for added 5 rwhp each!!! But in real world nothing to add, best bang for the buck is tuner first run the off the shelf maps, until you put on a downpipe and intercooler then get a custom tune. Catbacks as a general rule of thumb are for sound added, making the car sound more like a performance car (unless you stick on a raspy fart cannon then you lose cool points).
Yeah if you put a soup can on your car like a riced Honda gringoloco here will ban you. Don't go that route ;)

·
1,976 Posts
Yeah if you put a soup can on your car like a riced Honda gringoloco here will ban you. Don't go that route ;)
Lol no ban, I would leave them here for the entertainment :) But not all fart cannons sound bad, I had one on my 90 GSX (some of my friends have scubbies, and Evo with them as well). But you know the kind I am talking about, it's high pitched, raspy and sounds like a rev'd up weedwhacker. The driver just keeps revving it thinking they are cool lol I just face palm and go on my way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you add parts to our car and don't tune it...you won't get a gain because our ECU hits a designated mark then dials back performance to maintain that mark. The tune essentially tells the computer "Hey you can go ahead and increase that mark and make some gains from these parts"

Edit: So to answer your question definitively, yes. You can change the parts and it won't do much of anything.
Oh, that's good to know, don't have to worry about getting to a tuner immediately.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Your best initial investment is going to be the FMIC and DP + access port. For the Access port, look at getting something with tuned OTS tunes pre-loaded like Stratifieds unit to save time and money. The exhaust is fine on stock turbo, and honestly is just the noise maker (which of course we all want, which is why we buy them anyways). The stock FMIC is quite under-performing and sometimes can lend itself to pretty serious heat soak. The DP is really the only other major bottle neck in the "breath free'er" portion of the engine, and will make exhausts substantially louder as well. With the DP, you need a tune pretty soon there after to adjust for it, as it tends to run rich as heck without a tune. After that, go buck wild and waste insurmountable amounts of money on it, depreciates like a lead rock covered in concrete, but you just keep modding it due to the mod bug. #becauseracecar.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your best initial investment is going to be the FMIC and DP + access port. For the Access port, look at getting something with tuned OTS tunes pre-loaded like Stratifieds unit to save time and money. The exhaust is fine on stock turbo, and honestly is just the noise maker (which of course we all want, which is why we buy them anyways). The stock FMIC is quite under-performing and sometimes can lend itself to pretty serious heat soak. The DP is really the only other major bottle neck in the "breath free'er" portion of the engine, and will make exhausts substantially louder as well. With the DP, you need a tune pretty soon there after to adjust for it, as it tends to run rich as heck without a tune. After that, go buck wild and waste insurmountable amounts of money on it, depreciates like a lead rock covered in concrete, but you just keep modding it due to the mod bug. #becauseracecar.
Would there be any issue with running a catless DP with the stock CBE? As long as I get a custom tune (I'm also adding a 5.5" cp-e FMIC, stage 2 RMM, and CAI), will I be ok with this type of set up? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Would there be any issue with running a catless DP with the stock CBE? As long as I get a custom tune (I'm also adding a 5.5" cp-e FMIC, stage 2 RMM, and CAI), will I be ok with this type of set up? Thanks!
Hi Berry,
Sorry I havnt been on the forums for quite a long time due to life issues.
You should be fine no matter what you do so long as you have a custom tune, considering you can tell your tuner what mods you have and they adjust the tunes for such.

Honestly the CBE is basically never going to be outflowed by the stock turbo and engine, so its not really needed to modify it, the down pipe is actually your largest choke point. Changing your DP does require a tune at the same time, otherwise you will be running RICH AS HECK.

Reactions: berryp55
1 - 17 of 17 Posts