Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Tastefully Modded ‘17 ST1->Bone Stock ‘13 ST2
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read that it makes it louder and more raspy (in a good way) but does it change the tone at all? I pretty much just have a straight pipe with a resonator atm, and i love the deep tone it has. If i do a Catless DP, does it change that deep tone at all? I don’t like when it sounds all high pitched

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,334 Posts
Since you have no muffler or resonator, It's going to sound like one of those hot taco bell farts that has some nuclear juice at the end. Don't do it.

Most people shouldn't bother with a downpipe on stock turbo anyway. The gains are minimal.

You need an intercooler. That's where your power gains are.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you have no muffler or resonator, It's going to sound like one of those hot taco bell farts that has some nuclear juice at the end. Don't do it.

Most people shouldn't bother with a downpipe on stock turbo anyway. The gains are minimal.

Well i have a resonator, that’s the only reason the car sounds good rn. If i put in a catless DP, would it just make it louder? I’m more for the sound than the gains

·
Super Moderator
8,334 Posts
Well i have a resonator, that’s the only reason the car sounds good rn. If i put in a catless DP, would it just make it louder? I’m more for the sound than the gains
It will be stupid loud and add lots of rasp. It will not sound good at all.

Intercooler.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be stupid loud and add lots of rasp. It will not sound good at all.

Intercooler.
I also want to ask that if i get an AP through FSWERKS, can i go ahead and get a “stage 2 tune” even though i don’t have an FMIC yet? It’s just a map right? So i could just use the stock cobb maps until i get the FMIC

·
Super Moderator
8,334 Posts
I also want to ask that if i get an AP through FSWERKS, can i go ahead and get a “stage 2 tune” even though i don’t have an FMIC yet? It’s just a map right? So i could just use the stock cobb maps until i get the FMIC
You can buy the stage 2 from FSWERKS but you will blow your engine if you attempted to run it.

only use the Stage 0 tune until you get the IC. Then do not use any other Cobb tunes. Don't bother with the downpipe.

Just keep it easy, buy and install the intercooler first then spend the money on the AP with tune package later.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can buy the stage 2 from FSWERKS but you will blow your engine if you attempted to run it.

only use the Stage 0 tune until you get the IC. Then do not use any other Cobb tunes. Get a custom tune or Adapt-x after that. Don't bother with the downpipe.

Just keep it easy, buy and install the intercooler first then spend the money on the AP with tune package later.
It’ll just run like the stock IC until i get the tune right?

·
Super Moderator
8,334 Posts
It’ll just run like the stock IC until i get the tune right?
Yes.

You will notice a difference by just installing the IC though. It will no longer pull power so the car will accelerate faster, as it will make 250hp in every gear now.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
As Ol' DW used to say "Well, there's your problem. You got too many parts in that there oil pan."
Did @TurboGT mention getting an intercooler?
If not, you should definitely do that first. As far as the DP, mine didn't really change the tone, but it maid it a lot louder, so much so that I had to add KilMat and cut-in a larger muffler to keep my sanity. Tim @MonsterTuned told me that the downpipe isn't worth the cost or hassle for the 5 HP it might be worth. Get a real FMIC first, then get a tune from a reputable tuner--no Cobb OTS tunes.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3
115 Posts
I actually just had my IC and catless downpipe installed this past week. I have a resonator delete as well and in my opinion the catless downpipe made it sound much better. Not so much louder but the tone is deeper on a cold start and you can really hear the whine of the turbo when you’re accelerating which to my ears sounds very good. WOT sounds much better too. And the intercooler completely changed the way the car feels. I just moved from Indiana to Florida and like Turbo is always saying, the heat soak is real. I can now drive an hour in Florida and my car feels as fresh at the 60 minute mark as it did at the five minute mark. I order an AdaptX tune from monster with the SCT but the first device they sent me was never registered so I’m getting a new one this week I’m looking forward to see how that changes the car once again.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You'll love how a tune can change the feel of your car. Ford's torque target tunes are very conservative in order to reduce the number of engines they have to replace under warranty. Before installing your Monster Tune, I suggest you run logs just so you can actually quantify the difference a new tune makes on your car. Although your butt dyno will be very impressed with a tune, there's an app called Virtual Dyno that you can plug your log data into and it gives you pretty graphs and data you can use to track upgrades. I have read that VDyno is pretty accurate for the ST when compared to actual dyno data.

Reactions: FocusST3Dad

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,251 Posts
(Snip)
It's going to sound like one of those hot taco bell farts that has some nuclear juice at the end. Don't do it.
You have an amazing way with words, good sir. Lol

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: MtnMan and TurboGT

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

only use the Stage 0 tune until you get the IC. Then do not use any other Cobb tunes. Don't bother with the downpipe.

Can i get an adapt-x right now and then have the tune modified when i get an IC, or do i have to wait to get both. I don’t want to have to buy the tune again when i get an IC.

·
Super Moderator
8,334 Posts
Can i get an adapt-x right now and then have the tune modified when i get an IC, or do i have to wait to get both. I don’t want to have to buy the tune again when i get an IC.
Yes absolutely.

Install It now and run it.

Then when you install the IC. All you have to do is reset KAM (it's in the menu on the accessport). No revisions necessary

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes absolutely.

Install It now and run it.

Then when you install the IC. All you have to do is reset KAM (it's in the menu on the accessport). No revisions necessary
Hold on. Do i get the tune for the aftermarket IC right now? I’m confused. Wait. Does Adapt-X learn if you have an aftermarket IC?

·
Super Moderator
8,334 Posts
Hold on. Do i get the tune for the aftermarket IC right now? I’m confused. Wait. Does Adapt-X learn if you have an aftermarket IC?
Adapt-x is its own tune. It is the only tune that you don't have to change for bolt on mods.

All other tunes on the market require changes when you install things like Intercooler.

So you buy one Adapt-x tune, you're set as long as you run stock turbo. All you have to do is reset KAM when you change a part.

Any other tune on the market requires revisions when you change parts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Adapt-x is its own tune. It is the only tune that you don't have to change for bolt on mods.

All other tunes on the market require changes when you install things like Intercooler.

So you buy one Adapt-x tune, you're set as long as you run stock turbo. All you have to do is reset KAM when you change a part.

Any other tune on the market requires revisions when you change parts.
Yeah, that’s what i thought. That’s why i asked if i needed to get a revision for the IC. I thought it just learned octane habits like the stock tune. Learning the IC is awesome. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts