Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Today, as I parked in my driveway a huge puddle of pinkish liquid came out from underneath the right side of my '14 FoST. It seems like it is coming from the coolant reservoir. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much a repair like this might cost? Thanks

EDIT: Turns out the water pump failed.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,586 Posts
Firstly, do NOT drive the car until its diagnosed.

Well lit photos would help us help you figure out where its coming From.

As far as price, that varies depending what it Is, what shop you go to, what quality of parts they use, etc etc etc. We will never be able to answer that question.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly, do NOT drive the car until its diagnosed.

Well lit photos would help us help you figure out where its coming From.

As far as price, that varies depending what it Is, what shop you go to, what quality of parts they use, etc etc etc. We will never be able to answer that question.
Here's a clip

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,606 Posts
I think more interested in under hood clip or photos?

Mileage, mods, any recent work?

Best case a hose or something just busted as you parked it.

Do you regularly check coolant level?
Would you notice if the temps were running hotter than usual?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think more interested in under hood clip or photos?

Mileage, mods, any recent work?

Best case a hose or something just busted as you parked it.

Do you regularly check coolant level?
Would you notice if the temps were running hotter than usual?
I jumped a curb exiting a gas station 3-4 days ago, and I think some plastic from the undercarriage was left behind, that's the only thing I can think of. But I've been driving the car ever since and it wasn't leaking anything until today. The car has no mods on it and it has 95K miles on the engine. All temperatures seemed fine

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,606 Posts
Likely hose connected to tank is just bad and leaking if car didn't overheat.
If overheated, it releases under tank.
The small plastic line connected to tank can crack and leak too.

Earlier years tended to have more heater hose connections at firewall go bad, but that would usually be dripping further back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Likely hose connected to tank is just bad and leaking if car didn't overheat.
If overheated, it releases under tank.
The small plastic line connected to tank can crack and leak too.

Earlier years tended to have more heater hose connections at firewall go bad, but that would usually be dripping further back.
It's definitely right under the tank where the leaking is happening. Heres the video

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,586 Posts
Well i see the cap and engine cover are also soaking wet. Check the reservoir for cracks, as well as the little tiny plastic hose that enters the side of the reservoir. If you can't find anything obvious, you can rent a cooling system pressure tester from auto zone and hook it up to see.

Reactions: 20XX

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey guys,

Today, as I parked in my driveway a huge puddle of pinkish liquid came out from underneath the right side of my '14 FoST. It seems like it is coming from the coolant reservoir. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much a repair like this might cost? Thanks
**** thats alot sorry for your bro. Its so worth it to fix it but were in canada so our price range are more insane. I wont bring to ford there going to charge crazy alot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well i see the cap and engine cover are also soaking wet. Check the reservoir for cracks, as well as the little tiny plastic hose that enters the side of the reservoir. If you can't find anything obvious, you can rent a cooling system pressure tester from auto zone and hook it up to see.
We dont have auto zone here 😆

·
Registered
201 Posts
I jumped a curb exiting a gas station 3-4 days ago, and I think some plastic from the undercarriage was left behind, that's the only thing I can think of. But I've been driving the car ever since and it wasn't leaking anything until today. The car has no mods on it and it has 95K miles on the engine. All temperatures seemed fine
**** bro I go like 2km exiting a gas station 😆

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
OP- not knowing your level of automotive repair experience and proficiency- the questions you are asking are pretty basic and leads me to believe that this may not be something you will want to touch or repair. Failing to do so properly will result in overheating the engine and subsequent serious engine damage. I would recommend that you have the car towed to a local shop that you trust, and let them diagnose and repair it. In general- these are sturdy little cars, and if cared for properly are easy to maintain, and relatively inexpensive to repair.

Please reply back to this thread on what the issue turns out to be so that there is more archived information, and others can learn from your experience.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
799 Posts
If you are going to be debugging it and running it (for videos.. etc)
At the very least, put some water in it.

If you're driving it to the shop, put some water in it. Keep a gallon or two in the trunk. If you're going to limp it, keep it cool.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Not bad. While you're replacing the water pump, there are other maintenance items that are easy to get to that you should replace- like coolant hoses, belts, tensioners etc.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The verdict: Water pump failure. 155000KM (~96000Mi) on the original pump isn't bad right?
Medium Im at 203000km and evrething fine. Problem was you jumped a curb exiting a gas station to fast. These cars are low profile you should exit on those like 2km. Samething with train track I go 2km on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts