Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Lownslow is right... The way the warranty from FRPP reads is that it is covered under your original maufactures limited coverage which is your 3/36. It is NOT a powertrain component.. Powertrain simply refers to only the internal lubricated parts that you cannot physically touch under the hood and in the trans. FRPP stuff does not void anything, and it is covered by Ford within the original 3yr/36k. Text Font Document Paper

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If you can get Protective asset protections Cost Guard + at good price then I highly recommend it. The coverage is great, and no deductible if repairs done at Ford dealership. Every time we took it in SA we be like I doubt that is covered but it always was.

Covered things like window motor failures, both rear motors failed at the same time not a dime out of pocket almost 1K repair bill. ABS proportioning valve assembly failed, 3K repair bill and not a dime out of my pocket. AC Compression exploded another 3K repair bill, not a dime out of my pocket. Fuel pump and fuel pressure sensor failure 600 repair bill not a dime out of pocket. Some stuff failed right after factory warranty and ABS and fuel right before extended warranty ended.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey Guys.. Current Finance manager at a Ford Dealership... This is my job.. Yes you can extend the coverage with a Ford ESP at ANY TIME within the original manufacture's comprehensive(bumper to bumper) coverage. HOWEVER.. doing so after the sale(paying cash) vs doing so at time of sale(during financing paperwork) is not the smartest decision in my opinion as you are always starting from the original in-service date of the vehicle if you do indeed extend the coverage while under the original manufacture warranty. So for example... I bought my car 5/10/15. If i waited til 5/9/18 with 35,999 miles on it to extend it, it's still considered under manufacture warranty and if I wanted the 8 yr/ 125k warranty, i would still only get 8 years from 5/10/15 and only up to 125k on the odometer.
I am not sure why this matters, can you explain? You pay the same and have the same coverage for the same amount of time no matter what? Seems like a salesman sales tactic to me.

Paying cash in this way vs a ~$20-30 payment bump isn't worth it in my opinion..(this is opinion so yours may obviously vary)
Now this one you really lost me. How is paying interest better then not paying interest?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another thing - Alan Hollis of Champiom Lincoln let me know that if I sell my car to a dealer, he will refund to me the unused portion of the Extended Service Plan. That's a nice extra I hadn't counted on.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Lownslow is right... The way the warranty from FRPP reads is that it is covered under your original maufactures limited coverage which is your 3/36. It is NOT a powertrain component.. Powertrain simply refers to only the internal lubricated parts that you cannot physically touch under the hood and in the trans. FRPP stuff does not void anything, and it is covered by Ford within the original 3yr/36k. View attachment 102591
Would an extended warranty apply to the FRPP tune warranty also?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Would an extended warranty apply to the FRPP tune warranty also?
I don't believe so... The FRPP Doesn't void your factory warranty, however it has it's own warranty from FRPP/mountune that would cover it's own components.. I think that the ESP warranties only cover factory parts, not factory aftermarket if that makes sense.. but dont quote me 100%.. i'm not completely certain

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, thanks to this thread I discovered the dealer I purchased my plan from ripped me off.

Just sent them an email basically telling them to make it right or I'm cancelling and buying elsewhere.

Thanks guys! Saved me roughly $1,200.

My dealer charged $2,440 for 6yr/100k Premium Care w/out lights plan and Champions Ford quotes $1,270 for 6yr/125k Premium Care w/lights plan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey hockeyrks -

You just made my day. You got to deal with Alan Hollis at Champion, I gather. He is a straight shooter and I'm so happy he got to save you money. I'm also happy your original dealer got a dose of your righteous indignation.

Now I wonder how many other forum readers will save themselves hundreds or more.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey hockeyrks -

You just made my day. You got to deal with Alan Hollis at Champion, I gather. He is a straight shooter and I'm so happy he got to save you money. I'm also happy your original dealer got a dose of your righteous indignation.

Now I wonder how many other forum readers will save themselves hundreds or more.
Well, I haven't called Champion yet. Just used their online quote function. I did send them an email and I have an email out to another dealer that had a great online price.

Once they get back to me I'll be cancelling my original purchase and going with one of them.

My original dealer did send me a reply that was quite defensive saying how I must be getting pricing for aftermarket warranties and how bad they are...blah blah blah. F em.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I am still confused why you people even buy these warranties...:serious:
some of us like peace of mind and have no desire to have to work on crap ourselves. for me, the extra $20 a month was a small price to pay to be able to take it to a dealership and say "fix it"

·
Banned
3,027 Posts
some of us like peace of mind and have no desire to have to work on crap ourselves. for me, the extra $20 a month was a small price to pay to be able to take it to a dealership and say "fix it"
I guess. but now days mechanics at dealers are not "mechanics" they are parts changers with no troubleshooting skills. I would rather increase my self-worth with obtaining more knowledge. if others wanna burn their money it is their choice.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I guess. but now days mechanics at dealers are not "mechanics" they are parts changers with no troubleshooting skills. I would rather increase my self-worth with obtaining more knowledge. if others wanna burn their money it is their choice.
some of us are more than capable of doing the repairs ourselves...when I was in my 20's I turned every wrench myself too. And for bolt on crap, I do my work. But if something catastrophic happens I dont have the time to spend 6+ hours working on my car. I also dont have the extra funds to be responsible for replacing st3 headlights when one decides to leak at 60k miles. Or if the transmission starts acting up at 70k miles. I will not make payments on a car without a warranty any more. When my warranty runs out on the ST (if I havent gotten an RS yet) It will be sold and I will buy something else.. Spend a few years working on failures and wrenching on crap just so you can go to work the next day and get a paycheck only to have to spend it to fix something and take the next day off to perform the repair..... that would turn you into a fan of warranties too.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
oh.. and I definitely would NEVER argue that the "mechanics" these days are far from real mechanics. But if you have a good dealership where you can go and have a tech there that does your work for you, then this becomes less of an issue.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.