Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was taking an exit off the highway when some construction debris suddenly took a chunk out of my front-right rim and tire. The front-right rim/tire is unsafe to keep using, so I'm gonna get an entirely new set of wheels. However, the other three tires are still fine. Should I just buy 1 new tire to replace the busted one, or will the one new tire and the 3 old tires cause asymmetrical traction problems? Should I get two new tires to keep it symmetrical? All four?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I cannot give an answer based on equations regarding asymmetrical traction differentials and such, but here is what I would do:
If all 4 tires were well past new (let's say over 5k miles), I'd buy 2 new tires and keep them on the same axle, probably starting with the new tires on the front for the summer months and then switch them to the rear in winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot give an answer based on equations regarding asymmetrical traction differentials and such, but here is what I would do:
If all 4 tires were well past new (let's say over 5k miles), I'd buy 2 new tires and keep them on the same axle, probably starting with the new tires on the front for the summer months and then switch them to the rear in winter.
Yeah my current set of tires have about 20k on them so I guess I'll try that 2 new tire setup

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Do a burnout on 2 of the good tires. Keep 1 good tire for a spare. Buy 4 tires.....
Lol just kidding.
In all seriousness, I'd make sure you have 2 tires on either the front or rear so they're equal and then you're good to go.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This may, however be a perfect excuse to go buy a nice shiny set of new wheel and tire combo...
:cool:

ETA: Re-read the Op and realized they are planning on new wheels. Might be able to score a deal on Tire Rack or Discount Tire for a combo. Maybe anice set of Pilot Sport 4S and some Fifteen 52s?

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST Magnetic Metallic
38 Posts
I agree. Always change the entire axel's worth of tires when one is blown out. It sucks ($$$$), but makes for better balance.

·
Registered
2016 ST3 Race Red
44 Posts
I had the same dilema in the past. Brand new tires (less than 5k) and one of them ripped off on a pot hole... I bought 2 new ones.

Always leave the newer tires on the rear wheels, as it's the axel that will loose control first on hard cornering (dry, wet, snow, in any situation newer rear tires will give you better handling).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts