Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nearing 5k miles right now (oil changed two months ago) and about to put another 1k miles on the car (highway) within the next few days. Oil looks good, but I'm wondering if I should change it before I go. Usually change my oil around 4k miles.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
I'm nearing 5k miles right now (oil changed two months ago) and about to put another 1k miles on the car (highway) within the next few days. Oil looks good, but I'm wondering if I should change it before I go. Usually change my oil around 4k miles.
I ran Mobil 1 in mine and changed it every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
244 Posts
7,500 miles is pretty standard these days between oil changes even with conventional oil. You can change it earlier but I don't think its necessary.

As a side note, you can send your oil in at the guys at Blackstone Labs and they can analyze it for you to tell you how healthy your oil is. They will let you know if you can go longer between changes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The ST has an oil life monitor that determines when to change based on how you use/drive the car. Not sure how to check remaining life on your car, but on my '14 you run a vehicle health report from MFT and get the remaining oil life in an email from Ford. My usage is about 30% commuting and 70% longish highway drives. The ST is telling me 10K-11K mile oil life under these conditions.

My $.02 - Change with a quality full synthetic when the OLM goes below 20% life remaining. Changing any more frequently doesn't help the car and consumes time and money that I would rather use for other things.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I never run oil over 5k. Turbocharged, DI engines are pretty hard on oil.
*This is only my opinion, your's may vary.*

·
Registered
768 Posts
I did my first at 1,000. Since this is my first turbo / DI car, I plan on sending in an oil sample to Blackstone at 5,000 just to see where I'm at for my own learning curve and then take it from there. Guessing 7,500 on a good oil is way beyond safe. With today's oil technology regardless of PAO or Group III, canned 3 - 5,000 mile oil changes "because my dad did" (without a specific reason such as an analysis telling you to do so) are a total waste of money, resources, and environment. On my F150, I do a minimum of 10,000 and usually hit the 1 year mark around that point so I go ahead and change it.

I think this is common knowledge amongst gear heads but the oil life monitor on new cars is not an oil life monitor. It does not sample your oil. It uses a base of algorithms based on driving style, mileage, rpm, etc, etc, as Shadow said. To me, completely useless, IMO; because it does not know the quality of oil you have in. It would make the same mileage change recommendation regardless of running Amsoil SSO or the cheapest gas station dyno oil you can buy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just hit 1,000 miles on my '16. The dealer threw in the first oil change for free, and I got him to agree to a second one free as well. So I'm wondering when to go in for the first one. I'd prefer if they just give me the filter and oil so I can do it myself - but I'm sure they'll want to use their taps instead. But I know some techs at different dealerships and just hear unpleasant things - this is why I'd rather just do it myself.
Also, if I use their motorcraft for the 1st and 2nd oil changes, is it still okay to switch over to mobil 1 after that?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I hear you. I enjoy it as well, as I do with any work on the car. After paying Mazda to do a motor swap on my old protege5 I decided to never take it to a shop again. I'm pretty much in the same boat with this car now. But I like "free"! (Though I'm not looking forward to them touching my car)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I do every 6K, regular hwy driving, with full synthetic.

·
Registered
704 Posts
First oil change I got for free from the dealer. They included a new front bumper when the tech "slipped off the clutch" whatever that means as in over half a million miles driving a manual transmission, I have never done such a thing. What it looked like was they forgot to move something out of the way when they lowered the lift. Had to drive a Fusion for a week. What a boring car. I thought I couldn't argue with free, but that is not entirely accurate. I'm trying to do around 7500 on Mobil 1. I drive too much to go any less.

·
Registered
122 Posts
3-5k depending on climate and how hard I've been driving or if running heavy traffic. I'll occasionally analyze the oil myself in the lab from time to time. Typically I change on the lower end...cheap insurance, but oil these days have very sophisticated formulations to resist chemical breakdown, quench harmful reactions, and maintain high capacity detergent suspension. 10k oil changes are not out of reason in some cases.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I usually go by months rather then miles. Every 6 months, April & October. Usually ends up being a little over 6k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
My '16 is right at 30K. Oil changes are between 5-7k, whenever I can get to it.

I had the Ford Quick Lane change the oil one time for me, and they left 2 of the torx fasteners off that hold up the splash pan. No big deal, but it was enough for me to go back to changing it myself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts