Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If amsoil is good up to 15,000 miles would the fl-400s filter be good up to then? ill probably change the oil much earlier but im wondering. I bought a bunch of oil filters of amazon

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of extended oil change intervals, especially with forced induction. I've never gone more than 5k on any combination of oil and filter on any of my vehicles. But I know plenty of people that do it with no worries or troubles.
I would find an oil analysis lab that will do the filter as well, and send them samples at 5k. If all is good, proceed to 7500, and so on. Keep in mind though that we have 20+psi trying to blow contaminants past the rings, so pcv performance is critical for those extended intervals.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I've been running the Purolator equivalent (PL20195) with Mobile 1 and routinely take it to 7500-8000 miles between changes.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If amsoil is good up to 15,000 miles would the fl-400s filter be good up to then? ill probably change the oil much earlier but im wondering. I bought a bunch of oil filters of amazon
Just curious, why the 400s and not the stock 910s? More volume? Longer service life?

·
Registered
381 Posts
They are cheap enough that I haven't felt the need to not swap them out every oil change. Could they probably last longer? Sure. Is it worth the $4 to find out it can't? Not to me at least.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I dont see that risk being worth it.... If it was up to me, and if i was to do the 15 k miles on the oil, id at least change the filter every 5k miles.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Here's another thought...It's not just a matter of reusing the old filer during an oil change ("if" that's what you're even asking), but more the fact that you're leaving a solid 1/2 quart or more of dirty oil in the motor. When it comes to contaminants and such in your oil, it's all about ppm's. Really not worth any financial gain you may be after ("if" that's your motivation).

Amsoil EaO 34 (FL 400 equivalent...for anyone that cares) is rated to 25,000 unlike the 910 equivalent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ah, the old amsoil 15k oil changes. Lol. Had a customer a few years back with a Sierra 1500 he bought brand new. Immediately started with the Amsoil 20k oil changes after the first one. Came in for a rod knock at 110k miles and when I pulled the valve cover off there was so much sludge it looked like a mold of the valve cover. Needless to say he bought a motor and stopped those long oil changes. I highly recommend not doing it. Oil is cheap enough to replace every 5-7.5k but I personally wouldn't go over that. I have had 2 vehicles (Mazda Protege5 and '99 7.3 F350) with over 400k miles on the original motors. Always change the oil every 5-7k and they look great internally and have never let me down. Oil is way cheaper than buying a motor. :wink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
what brand of oil?
I don't do 15k miles, but if I was to do it? I think Amsoil is the only one I would.... Although I change my oil @ 7.5k miles, I recon, 10k miles is my max on any oil.... Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts