Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I was reading the different post about Mountune exhaust, and I found that the general consensus is that the catback is really quiet, I want to buy it, but where I live and the laws are pretty strict so I need something that at normal cruising would be unnoticeable, but if I push the throttle i want to hear my investment, would Mountune serve this purpose? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I havent heard it in person but your description seems to fit the concensus. Another good option would be the Milltek Sport exhaust. I have heard this on a FoST and it fit the bill for what you are wanting. I also had a Milltek on my R53 Mini Cooper S and it was extremely subtle at cruising speeds but definitely noticeable at WOT.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've not heard it in person but everyone I have talked to has said it is on the quiet side.

I would also suggest the Milltek exhaust system, I really enjoyed it on mine. It was definitely reserved when you wanted it to be. I also prefer the tips on it over the spread out tips on the Mountune system but that is purely my opinion.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've not heard it in person but everyone I have talked to has said it is on the quiet side.

I would also suggest the Milltek exhaust system, I really enjoyed it on mine. It was definitely reserved when you wanted it to be. I also prefer the tips on it over the spread out tips on the Mountune system but that is purely my opinion.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Hello, but I found there are different version of the milltek, resonated, no-resonated, semi-resonated, which one is the less loud? which one you have?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have the Mountune catted turboback exhaust....installed it about 1500 miles ago. It's as quiet as stock when cruising and it let's out a roar at WOT. The tone is more like a European sports car than a typical modded 4-banger. It's the kind of exhaust that makes you want to take the car through tunnels, just so you can hear it well. I hate loud, obnoxious exhausts but think the Mountune is almost too quiet. Hopefully mine gets a little louder over time. The catted turboback​ is also only $200 more than the catback.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hello, but I found there are different version of the milltek, resonated, no-resonated, semi-resonated, which one is the less loud? which one you have?
I had the semi resonated and on the stock downpipe and turbo it was almost too quiet. The company that I bought it from suggested against buying the full resonated which was my original plan and I am glad I went with their suggestion. On the stock turbo/downpipe non-resonated would be about perfect in my opinion.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I purchased the Mountune CBE about a year ago. It is very close to stock decibel level under regular driving, under WOT it is louder than stock for sure, yet it there is no drone at all. The sound is a more amplified version of the OEM sound, not necessarily a growl like MBRP or Borla. Highway cruising is similar to stock as well.

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are your opinion about the COBB exhaust? From some videos in YouTube I found that it has a nice tone, and the person from a store that made the video told me that is a catback is the not loud group.

·
Registered
387 Posts
What are your opinion about the COBB exhaust? From some videos in YouTube I found that it has a nice tone, and the person from a store that made the video told me that is a catback is the not loud group.
No. Just no. If you are looking at the Mountune for being quiet the COBB isn't what you want. It's a full 3" exhaust with token mufflers/resonators. I say token as they are small enough and barely do anything. Just do a search for COBB exhaust drone and you'll find several people complaining about the drone. I remember this coming up again about a month ago. It may not be the loudest or have the worst drone but it certainly doesn't seem what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I currently have about 1400 miles on the MBRP XP catback. When I first purchased it, I thought it was way too boomy. So boomy in fact that I purchased the Mountune system (not the turboback). It's been sitting in an unopened box since about January. Now that it's getting warmer I'm thinking of putting it on soon. However, I'm now starting to think that it may be too quiet. So I suppose I'm having cold feet a bit. What I can say is the MBRP sounds nice and throaty until you go WOT, then it's get very boomy. When I purchased my MBRP I was told it was only a little louder than the Mountune. And there were many that said the Mountune doesn't sound much if any louder than stock. So, I too would have a hard time believing that you'd want the COBB.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
As others have mentioned, quiet when cruising, nice deep roar when wot. Idle noise is minimal, a littler deeper tone. Zero drone at all speeds.
Very happy with my mountune CBE.
In your opinion, is it noticeable during normal acceleration? I really wouldn't want to put the symposer back in. I don't need a lot of noise, just enough to know it's there.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had a Magnaflow for about 3K miles, took it off and put on the MT. In my opinion it's perfect for me, no drone, go full WOT and you will hear it. Wife never complains

If you plan to buy one and get a DP in the future, just pick up the Turbo back and save some $$

Reactions: screzzy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Minute after minute I'm more convinced that the Mountune is the way to go for me, I was a little afraid that with full WOT the exhaust will be still silent, but after all the readings and some youtube videos, I think I'll get a nice deep tone, now the issue is where to find a store that will will ship to Canada with duties included with the shipping charges..., because so far all the online Canadian stores I founded ask me to wait like 15 business days for them to have it in stock.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here's this guy on youtube reviewing it with a good camera and microphone with plenty of in cab sound where you get a good idea of what it will be like:

I watched a couple of his videos and his and my preferences seem to be about the same and this video is leading me to want the mountune catback. Catback is only for sound anyway really, if you're looking for performance, you're gonna need a downpipe which will drown from what I hear, or at least alert your local authorities from what it sounds like. If you want it to scream, mountune probably isn't the best, but if you would like it to roar modestly WOT, then I think it would probably be a good choice. I also found conflicting designs. If you look in the comments of the video he links to cj pony parts for his exhaust, but the catback on mountunes website doe snot have the same muffler design so I don't know if the one in the video is out of date now or not. mountune High Flow Performance Exhaust, Focus ST 2013-2017 Cat back exhaust Focus ST Sport Exhaust Street Legal

I'm still new, but it appears mountune has a steep price tag. I'm assuming there's similar sounding exhausts as the mountune, MBRP seems to be relatively equal from what I've seen so far, but you just need to ask yourself how important preserving the warranty is to you.

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's this guy on youtube reviewing it with a good camera and microphone with plenty of in cab sound where you get a good idea of what it will be like:

I watched a couple of his videos and his and my preferences seem to be about the same and this video is leading me to want the mountune catback. Catback is only for sound anyway really, if you're looking for performance, you're gonna need a downpipe which will drown from what I hear, or at least alert your local authorities from what it sounds like. If you want it to scream, mountune probably isn't the best, but if you would like it to roar modestly WOT, then I think it would probably be a good choice. I also found conflicting designs. If you look in the comments of the video he links to cj pony parts for his exhaust, but the catback on mountunes website doe snot have the same muffler design so I don't know if the one in the video is out of date now or not. mountune High Flow Performance Exhaust, Focus ST 2013-2017 Cat back exhaust Focus ST Sport Exhaust Street Legal

I'm still new, but it appears mountune has a steep price tag. I'm assuming there's similar sounding exhausts as the mountune, MBRP seems to be relatively equal from what I've seen so far, but you just need to ask yourself how important preserving the warranty is to you.
The guy in the video has the Ford Racing exhaust. Not the Mountune.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The guy in the video has the Ford Racing exhaust. Not the Mountune.
That explains a lot then haha Is the mountune significantly louder than Ford Racing since it does not have the chambered muffler? It appears to be a chambered muffler on the FR exhaust

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
That explains a lot then haha Is the mountune significantly louder than Ford Racing since it does not have the chambered muffler? It appears to be a chambered muffler on the FR exhaust
Even though I haven't installed my Mountune yet. I do know it's quieter than the Ford racing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts