Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got to 10k miles on my 2016 ST and had my first oil change. It was brought to my attention that my tires have very little tread left on them and need to be replaced soon. I have the stock GoodYear Eagle F1's. One of the tires had a nail in it and needed to be replaced, and comparing the brand new tire tread with the other 3, the difference is drastic. I hadn't realized the tread was a bad as it is, until I could see it next to a brand new tire.

Anyway, all the tires were worn evenly, so it's not like I was doing burnouts or anything. With that in mind, it seems like 10k is a ridiculously low number of miles for the tires to be almost completely worn out. Are these just horrible tires or what? At how many miles are you all replacing your tires?

I searched and found some threads on here that mentioned the F1's last for "only" 20k miles, but mine are almost gone at half that!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I just got to 10k miles on my 2016 ST and had my first oil change. It was brought to my attention that my tires have very little tread left on them and need to be replaced soon. I have the stock GoodYear Eagle F1's. One of the tires had a nail in it and needed to be replaced, and comparing the brand new tire tread with the other 3, the difference is drastic. I hadn't realized the tread was a bad as it is, until I could see it next to a brand new tire.

Anyway, all the tires were worn evenly, so it's not like I was doing burnouts or anything. With that in mind, it seems like 10k is a ridiculously low number of miles for the tires to be almost completely worn out. Are these just horrible tires or what? At how many miles are you all replacing your tires?

I searched and found some threads on here that mentioned the F1's last for "only" 20k miles, but mine are almost gone at half that!
Do you do anything that's extra hard on them? Did you track/autocross/drive very spirited/etc? That's definitely lower than they should have lasted...but if you drive REALLY hard and rotate them often then you can kill them in that quick of a time.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Those Goodyear tires are crap. I worked for discount tire and every time I see our cars come in with those on they're all worn out around 10k-20k. When I had those the front tires were @ 5/32nds of tread and rears were @ 7/32nds at my first rotation at 5k mi. I get on it every so often but for the most part I drive pretty conservatively. I would recommend getting something different. It's not really anything with the car. It's just crap tires.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Low tread life with tires like the F1's is to be expected if you push hard into corners or spin the wheels a lot. I'd expect in the 18-20k range with my driving habits.

The F1s are not crap. Great sidewall stiffness and turn-in. I'm not a fan of their traction off the line but damn...they corner well for aggressive street driving.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Low tread life with tires like the F1's is to be expected if you push hard into corners or spin the wheels a lot. I'd expect in the 18-20k range with my driving habits.

The F1s are not crap. Great sidewall stiffness and turn-in. I'm not a fan of their traction off the line but damn...they corner well for aggressive street driving.
Agree 100%

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Agree 100%
I third this. Autocrossed with them and everything and got hardly any rollover and only had to let out like 2 lbs in the rear the entire time I was out on the course. Great performing tire, it could just be a little less expensive.

·
Registered
244 Posts
F1s are good tires for what they are meant to be. Then again no Extreme Performance summer tires is going to last 55K miles like a general all season tire will. The softer compound will wear out faster regardless of driving habits. If you drive hard expect the 15K range.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I practically never spin the tires, but I do push hard into corners every chance I get. :)

Once these tires wear down a bit more, I'm thinking of going to Michelin Pilot Super Sports, as they seem to be a popular choice. Have any of you used them? How do they compare to the F1's? Discount Tire shows them having a 30k miles manufacturer warranty, unlike the F1's, which don't have any kind of warranty at all. So hopefully they'd at least last a lot longer.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have been seeing more tire posts pop up lately. I have a little over 21k on my tires and they have a little meat left. I will be getting new tires this summer and will probably just go with all season tires because I want the extra tread life. Summer tires just don't last as long and I don't really need the performance of a summer tire.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the all seasons Pirelli and just had oil change at 11k and 80% of my tires are left I would say get those that's crazy if u guys have no tire left

·
Registered
205 Posts

My rears are kinda worn out but they have 36K miles.
The front I had to replace, which I did and I put on some sticky er... well, can't remember the brand and after 10K miles they are pretty much corded. Should think about changing those :)

Depends on your driving and the road. For people who just do straight highway, they can last awhile assuming they are correctly inflated. I do half highway, half mountain freeway and the twisty bits don't help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can't get high performance out of a set of tires and expect them to last 40k or 50k miles. There are ALWAYS tradeoffs. In the performance world, a low profile, high grip tire is not going to last as long as a regular tire on a Toyota Camry, that's a fact, Jack. The F1's are NOT junk. You probably are a lot more aggressive on the tires than you think you are. If you think 10k miles on a set of car tires are bad, look at motorcycle performance tires, they often only last 3k to 5k miles and cost two to three times as much. It is the price of having fun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have just under 15k miles on my F1's and I may get 5k more if im lucky. The set on my rear are on the wear bars and the front are just above the wear bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tires are tough. As many people have stated, driving habits can play a major factor. Environmental factors can also help/hurt. Temperature extremes/fluctuations, etc.

I had been driving a jeep for 10+ years prior to my focus, and they have their own crappy tire reputation with aggressive tires, but I'm at 25-30k (with tread left) on my GY Duratracs, and I've never changed pressure, just rotated every 5-6k.

On the other hand, I took my stock GYs off my focus this fall (for snows) and after 9 months and 6,600 miles, I was shocked at how worn my tires were. I rotated at 5k, and the tires that started on the front were definitely more worn. I'll probably get 15-20 out of them.

In hindsight I should've been monitoring the tire pressure more carefully because I picked the car up in the winter and never adjusted because I thought I could rely on the TPMS since it only has a 3psi range. Problem is I think that is 3psi of each other, not the correct pressure.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I find I'm much happier if I look at tire life in years rather than miles. I only put 5k-8k miles/year on a car. Therefore, if I get 2-3 years out of a set, I'm quite satisfied. Out of the EP tires (Falken Azenis and Hankook RS-2's at the time) I had on my old Miata and RX-8, with auto-x and a couple of track days, plus regular street driving, the most I ever got was about 12k miles. That was with regular rotation (~ every 3k miles) and keeping up with the air pressures. It averaged out to a new set of tires about every 2 years, so I was ok with that.

I'm getting back into auto-x and don't care to deal with dedicated tires for events, so I'll be impressed if I get 15k out of the F1's. I'm currently at about 9k miles and have had the car for 13 months.

As far as the F1's being crap, I've run UHP and EP tires from Continental, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Falken and Hankook on various cars over the years and the F1's rank near the top of the tires I'm familiar with. For an OEM tire, I'm extremely impressed. Kudos to Ford for giving us a real performance tire for our hot hatch.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You can't get high performance out of a set of tires and expect them to last 40k or 50k miles. There are ALWAYS tradeoffs. In the performance world, a low profile, high grip tire is not going to last as long as a regular tire on a Toyota Camry, that's a fact, Jack. The F1's are NOT junk. You probably are a lot more aggressive on the tires than you think you are. If you think 10k miles on a set of car tires are bad, look at motorcycle performance tires, they often only last 3k to 5k miles and cost two to three times as much. It is the price of having fun.

Oh i can agree with this. My first rear tire replacement for my CBR the dealer ordered the wrong tire for me, i wanted a factory replacement and what they actually got in was a high performance bridgestone, i forget the name, but it was almost a track tire. It was very sticky and i thought it was great, until i had to replace it 1,300 miles later. That was a $200 tire that lasted 1,300 miles. Heck even the tires on my harley are almost $300 just for the rear and last usually around 9000 miles.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had over 25K with mine, had to replace them due to the rear tire having a slice in it. An old guy owned my car before I got it so makes sense for them last so long

·
Registered
133 Posts
If your F1s are worn out in 10k, you either have an alignment problem, or you're very hard on the car. While I don't think the F1s are bad tires, there are definitely better options available. Primarily the Michelin PSS and the new PS4S. I have a set of 245/35 PS4S tires going on later this week. I have 4k on my F1s, and will be selling them once they are removed. The rears have literally zero wear, showing that the wear really only happens on the front, unless you're tracking the car. I have never had a Michelin tire that I didn't like. The initial "turn in" probably won't be as good as with the Goodyears, but they have a 30k warranty, and will most likely ride a bit better on the crappy MI roads. I also expect the straight line traction to be a significant improvement with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine lasted to 25k before I went to Michelin Super Sports. I thought I drove mine pretty hard, but after reaching some of these posts I guess I need to pick it up a bit.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts