Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the drop in temperatures I started wondering if my thermostat isn't closing entirely. My prior car, a 2001 Maxima, as well as our big 5.7L Tundra all warm to operating temperature by the time I hit this one waypoint on the way to drop my son off at school. On my Focus ST, the heater has just started with warm air and the water temperature needle just moved off cold. As I understand it, our cars will throw a code if they think the thermostat is stuck open, but it is curious. Total time running at the waypoint is something like 10 minutes, light-to-moderate driving.

So my question is - how long does your car take to warm up when the outside temps are around 40F?

I'd hate to have to pull the thermostat and toss it into a pot of water to see where it opens, but...

·
Super Moderator
8,563 Posts
Mine warms up in a few minutes tops; with the water jacketed exhaust and water cooled turbo the water should heat up quickly. My heater blows warm/hot air within a few minutes even when temps are 10 degrees or less.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
My A/C is hot after only a few minutes. My oil is what bothers me because on these cold mornings I takes most of the 12 minute drive to work for oil temp to reach operating temp. The car seems to get terrible gas mileage up to that point so in the winter just driving to and from work I average around 20 mpgs.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Water temp comes up quickly, only a mile or two of light driving from the garage. Oil temp however, that takes a while.
Yup, this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
how long does your car take to warm up when the outside temps are around 40F?
Coolant temp comes up faster than any other car I have owned. I let it idle down and it is almost up to temp when I get out of my development. As others have said Oil temp takes much longer but that isn't a big issue. I have a '13

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine takes a long time, like what the OP stated. When it's near or below freezing out, coolant temp takes about 5 minutes of driving at light throttle to come up. Oil temp takes 10-15 minutes.
My wife's '14 Escape warms up much quicker, and it also has the 2.0 Ecoboost motor.
So not sure why the FOST takes longer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts