Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to a Boy Scout camp out, and as usual, we arrived at night and had to set up the tents in the dark. I left my car idling with the remote fob inside and the headlights on to help illuminate the area while we pitched our tents. I noticed that after a while, the engine had shut off.
Does anybody know how long it will run like this before it shuts itself off? I thought it would idle until it ran out of gas.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Uuuummmm...So you had this happen to you?? I would think you just answered your own question, or at least be able to ballpark it. I didn't even know it would do that at all with the fob in the car. I thought that was a fob not in the car feature. Guess not.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Mine will never shut off, even when key fob is not in it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
it'll run out of gas eventually, even if it didn't the battery or alternator would die eventually

·
Registered
408 Posts
it'll run out of gas eventually, even if it didn't the battery or alternator would die eventually
Well that's a given. We are not talking about extremes here. We are talking about a certain amount of time.

Here is an example- I live in an apartment building so I can't wash my car in my lot. So I take my car to the self wash places and I'll wash my car there. Sometimes I'll bring my kids, so I'll leave the car running while I wash the car and they just hang out inside on their tablets or whatever. This usually takes me 30 minutes and the car does not shut off. I've gone to meets and left the car running for an hour plus and it doesn't shut off either. So I'd there is a system in place to turn the car off then mine is not working lol.

Ps the alternator will not go bad, it's no different from driving a car or siding at idle. The engine is still spinning the alternator.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was going through the menu on mine the other day to change from miles to Kms as I was driving in Canada for a bit when I noticed an auto-shut off option, which is checked on in my car. So it appears there's something there but I can't answer how long it takes as it has not happened to me yet. It's probably buried in the owner's manual somewhere.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If only cars came with manuals...

Pg 123 of 2017 Focus manual

Keyless ignition cars:

Note:If the engine is idling for 30 minutes, the ignition and engine will automatically shut down.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
was sitting in my car the other day with it idling making changes to my DSR1, after a long while, the cluster beeped and it told me that it was about to shut the engine off.

this is also specifically called out in the owners manual...

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-2_om_EN-US_03_2015.pdf

page 128-129

"Automatic Engine Shutdown
For vehicles with a keyless ignition, this
feature automatically shuts down the
engine if it has been idling for an extended
period. The ignition also turns off in order
to save battery power. Before your vehicle
shuts down, a message appears in the
information display showing a timer

Focus (CDH) Canada/United States of America, enUSA
Starting and Stopping the Engine
counting down from 30 seconds. If you do
not intervene within 30 seconds, your
vehicle shuts down. Another message
appears in the information display to
inform you that your vehicle has shut down
in order to save fuel. Start your vehicle as
you normally do.
Automatic Engine Shutdown Override
Note: You cannot permanently switch off
the automatic shutdown feature. When you
switch it off temporarily, it turns on at the
next ignition cycle.
You can stop the shutdown, or reset the
timer, at any point before the 30-second
countdown has expired by doing any of the
following:
• You can reset the timer by interacting
with your vehicle (such as pressing the
brake pedal or accelerator pedal).
• You can temporarily switch off the
shutdown feature any time the ignition
is on (for the current ignition cycle
only). Use the information display to
do so. See Information Displays
(page 97).
• During the countdown before
shutdown, you are prompted to press
OK or RESET (depending on your type
of information display) to temporarily
switch the feature off (for the current
ignition cycle only)."

·
Registered
102 Posts
do you really expect people to read that thing? after all its hundreds of pages and the pictures are not in color!
Hey I have to look busy at work. Rather read about a car then stupid analytics and reports.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, so 30 minutes unless you disable it.

As for all the read the manual comments, I would if the print were bigger. I find it painfully difficult to read, even with my reading glasses on. The pages are glossy, it doesn't lay flat, and the print is tiny. Now, if it were more like a coffee table book...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
well the good news is, if you just download the PDF for your car like the one that was linked to in post #8, then you can just hold the CTRL key while pressing the + key until the letters are as big as your heart desires, if you can read through this forum, you can read through that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks guys, so 30 minutes unless you disable it.

As for all the read the manual comments, I would if the print were bigger. I find it painfully difficult to read, even with my reading glasses on. The pages are glossy, it doesn't lay flat, and the print is tiny. Now, if it were more like a coffee table book...
Don't know how no one said this yet. On my 2016 ST3 you can choose to disable the Auto-Off feature completely or pick 15 or 30 minutes. It's not just 30 minutes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Relax on the manual comments ... although I did read mine from cover to cover .. lol

Don't think I'd ever be in a situation to let my car run for 30 minutes on idle though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What is interesting from the excerpt in the manual is that it shuts off the engine to save battery power....... So what you are telling me is that the alternator does not produce enough juice to keep the battery at net change in juice at idle? It can't even charge it 1% in 5 minutes?! That seems odd.

I've been starting and letting my e36 idle for 15 minutes a day once a week to keep the battery charged and haven't had a issue yet where it wouldn't start.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It shuts off the engine to save fuel, it also shuts off ignition/accessory power to keep the battery from draining with out the engine running.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts