Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a thread awhile back about a guy trying to get his car under 3,000#'s but I can't find it now...does anybody know how light this car can go? Or maybe easy ways to shed some weight? Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I remember a thread awhile back about a guy trying to get his car under 3,000#'s but I can't find it now...does anybody know how light this car can go? Or maybe easy ways to shed some weight? Thanks :)
Take out spare, back seats, lightweight rims is a good start

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I hear the engines weigh a fair amount, you could always pull that to save weight :wink:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Did that ST-R deal ever really get off of the ground as a race car? Or were there just a couple out there in the wild? Were they front wheel drive?
Yes they raced one season in Conti Tire. They shut it down because of lack of interest and because Multimatic started work on the Ford GT race car.

Why is there always jokes around weight reduction?

It's an easy to get 1-2 tenths in the 1/4 mile, not to mention maybe a 1-1.5 mph increase; and its FREE, just the time to remove and reinstall at the end of the day's racing.

It certainly offsets the 10-20 hp loss on a hot day.

When my car was seemingly stuck running low 14's, I dropped the spare tire (just the tire, not the jack and tool) to see if it would make any difference.

Best time with the spare was 14.01

Best time without it was 13.96

It ran back to back 13's with a 13.99 as well, without the spare.

.005 gained for nothing out of pocket.

Removing all the seats is within reach of everybody and why not? There's no rule against it, just some strange ideology of running the car as-is at the track as on the street.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Agree weight reduction is just like djfourmoney said.

easy formula to calculate gains.
For example our car weight 1386 kg and have 252 HP (sorry i am from EU and have only metric specs) :)
that means 1386/252=5,5kg/hp

if we reduce weight for 100kg
1286/252=5,1

and if we transfer that to HP
1386/5,1=271,7
so the car would behave like it would have 271 HP.

and less weight better handling.

ok, gain 100kg is not that easy :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts