Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know tune's make a huge difference and I'm hamstringing myself if I don't use one. But right now my Focus is brand new with a warranty and I want to keep that warranty. I read that Ford can tell when you've flashed the ECU, so even if I flash back to normal before taking it in, I'd still run the risk of losing warranty - correct?

So say I go with a FMIC and a CAI, what can I expect to see? I'm assuming the numbers won't be very high, but the cooler air has to count for something, right?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You won't notice much of a difference as far as power at all with those upgrades and no tune. The thing the FMIC is really going to do that you will notice is the ability to do back to back runs and not overheat, so in reality you are getting more consistent, lasting power, as apposed to a huge increase on a dyno.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I live in south florida and added a FMIC just to provide more consistent delivery of power. Without a Tune, you won't get an "increase" in power, but you will avoid heat soak and thus you won't LOSE as much power due to high charge air temps. You still will notice a difference between summer and winter, but at least in summer you won't suddenly wonder if your turbo just dropped out of the bottom of your vehicle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in south florida and added a FMIC just to provide more consistent delivery of power. Without a Tune, you won't get an "increase" in power, but you will avoid heat soak and thus you won't LOSE as much power due to high charge air temps. You still will notice a difference between summer and winter, but at least in summer you won't suddenly wonder if your turbo just dropped out of the bottom of your vehicle.

Does the FMIC make that big of a difference? I thought it only effected the car when a tune pushes the engine a little harder... how much of a difference do you perceive when the intercooler's heat soaked?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Does the FMIC make that big of a difference? I thought it only effected the car when a tune pushes the engine a little harder... how much of a difference do you perceive when the intercooler's heat soaked?
Depends on your climate. In hotter areas like Florida, it can make a massive differences.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I ran into an ST owner who bought his 2013 brand new, did full bolt-on's with a tune as soon as he bought it... 140k miles and said it still runs great, a bit tired but great... from south florida area, so the conditions are a bit extreme, lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
They can't tell that you flashed it per se, what they can tell is that it has been reset. Running without a tune you will see negligible improvement, the ecu is tuned to hit certain parameters and will adjust for any excess air or increased air density. A tune is definitely necessary to get any real increase. The cai will make nice sounds and the intercooler will take care of heat soak so you can run it harder longer. They're still fun to do and help you get more familiar with your car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Depends on your climate. In hotter areas like Florida, it can make a massive differences.
What he said.... When the intercooler is heatsoaked, you notice that you get boost pressure, but the car has no pull. In July and August in the afternoon the car felt like it wasn't turbocharged at all. In the morning and at night, as temperatures dropped a bit, you'd notice you got some of your car back.

Let's be clear, an FMIC without a tune will not give you any more power. That requires a tune. An FMIC "might" give you more consistent delivery of power that you might lose due to abnormally high charge air temperatures due to the stock intercooler being heat soaked. But again, that depends on environmental factors. If I lived in Seattle, it's unlikely that I would ever see environmental conditions that would severely heatsoak my intercooler. In places like Florida and Arizona, it's a given in the summer.

I really am not looking to tune my car. I am happy with the power delivery of the stock tune, and if I'm honest, I like the flexibility of putting 87 in it when I'm not pushing it. (heresey!!!!!). But I really did want to my car to feel in August much the same way it did when I test drove it in February.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If someone simply farts in front of the stock IC, it's heat-soaked.
Judging from the size of the thing I'm not surprised. I was half expecting to take the cracker jack wrapping off the thing.....

Reactions: LilHaile

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know tune's make a huge difference and I'm hamstringing myself if I don't use one. But right now my Focus is brand new with a warranty and I want to keep that warranty. I read that Ford can tell when you've flashed the ECU, so even if I flash back to normal before taking it in, I'd still run the risk of losing warranty - correct?

So say I go with a FMIC and a CAI, what can I expect to see? I'm assuming the numbers won't be very high, but the cooler air has to count for something, right?
Just to review,

FMIC = must have in warmer climates
CAI = worthless with stock turbo (if your looking for more sound get a green filter w/o the plug)

The Ford Racing tune for the 2016's should be released by the end of this year and would retain a 3yr/36k drivetrain warranty. Mountune also has a tune that is warrantied so you have options.

·
Registered
768 Posts
And another thing that gets overlooked and not discussed is driveability. A good tune is soooooo much more than just power. It can make your car a different car all together as far as personality.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
I have to agree with all of the above. I just put in the Mountune low restriction intake and noticed virtually nothing, except a lightening of my wallet (not that I expected much). Upon second thought, I should have ponied up the dough and bought the AP3 from either Mountune or Stratified. I was thinking Mountune only because of warranty concerns.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have to agree with all of the above. I just put in the Mountune low restriction intake and noticed virtually nothing, except a lightening of my wallet (not that I expected much). Upon second thought, I should have ponied up the dough and bought the AP3 from either Mountune or Stratified. I was thinking Mountune only because of warranty concerns.
As others have said, an intake alone without a bigger turbo does nothing for the ST, as the stock intake is already oversized for the application with respect to airflow. A CAI just gets you noise and a potentially cooler looking engine bay, especially with the nice-looking Mountune pipe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Given that Mountune sells a basic Cobb AP with a 'stage 1' tune, you're okay to use that without voiding the warranty, aren't you? The AP is part of the Mountune 275HP upgrade...

Given that you can use the AP with the 275HP upgrade, and probably the stock one, any basic tune should be okay... they can tell you reset it, but given that you can do it already without voiding your warranty, would it make a difference later too?

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
As others have said, an intake alone without a bigger turbo does nothing for the ST, as the stock intake is already oversized for the application with respect to airflow. A CAI just gets you noise and a potentially cooler looking engine bay, especially with the nice-looking Mountune pipe.
Yep, I found that out the hard way! Again, wish I had searched the forums before experimentation! But, yeah, at least the pipe looks cool. :crazy:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Given that Mountune sells a basic Cobb AP with a 'stage 1' tune, you're okay to use that without voiding the warranty, aren't you? The AP is part of the Mountune 275HP upgrade...

Given that you can use the AP with the 275HP upgrade, and probably the stock one, any basic tune should be okay... they can tell you reset it, but given that you can do it already without voiding your warranty, would it make a difference later too?
Unfortunately, no. Buying the COBB AP through Mountune is different than buying the mTune, which is what Mountune includes in their upgrade kits. Yes, both use the same COBB hardware, but the mTune is locked to whatever tune they give you and doesn't have all the functionality of a regular AP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately, no. Buying the COBB AP through Mountune is different than buying the mTune, which is what Mountune includes in their upgrade kits. Yes, both use the same COBB hardware, but the mTune is locked to whatever tune they give you and doesn't have all the functionality of a regular AP.
Darnit. It has the 'This part has been designed and is intended for off-highway application only. Installation of this part on a vehicle that is driven on public roads may violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations relating to emission requirements and motor vehicle safety standards.' disclaimer on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That all makes sense. I'm reluctant to get the Mountune/FRPP tune because it seems so expensive for what you get. From what I understand, all that's needed to hit stage 2 is a $500 FMIC and a $500 AP right? Thanks for all the help though, it definitely makes sense! Is it possible to swap the intercooler without jacks? I feel like one can remove the bumper just by getting down, but I haven't seen anyone do it that way.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That all makes sense. I'm reluctant to get the Mountune/FRPP tune because it seems so expensive for what you get. From what I understand, all that's needed to hit stage 2 is a $500 FMIC and a $500 AP right? Thanks for all the help though, it definitely makes sense! Is it possible to swap the intercooler without jacks? I feel like one can remove the bumper just by getting down, but I haven't seen anyone do it that way.
The Mountune/FRPP is a little more expensive but it's the only options that includes a warranty so that's why. If your not worried about the warranty see below...

You could get the Cobb AP V3 from a tuner for $500 with an OTS tune included for your parts, a FMIC for $350, and even the DP for $200. That's $1050 and now your full Stage 3 with an OTS tune for your parts! Links below:

Focus ST COBB Accessport V3 With Stratified Flash Tune [FoST_FT_AP_Package] - $500.00USD : Stratified Automotive Controls
2013+ Ford Focus ST 3.5? Intercooler upgrade | Depo Racing
2013+ Ford Focus ST 3? Downpipe Testpipe | Depo Racing

I did the FMIC on front ramps just for clearance to get to the bottom of the bumper, it makes it much easier that way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts