Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, nailed a pretty nasty pothole recently which resulted in a new front drivers side rim and tire. The shop did not take any exception to any suspension components. The car does not feel the same post alignment. While driving it feels as it’s hunting in no particular direction.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Nothing in your alignment should be causing your concern. They even corrected rear toe back to factory specs so it wouldnt skin the insides of your rear tires (look at the numbers, green doesnt always mean good).

Even if the left front control arm was tweaked and caused that .5 degree of caster and camber split against the right side, you'd have a complaint of the car pulling to the right only.

I'd expect some sort of fault if you messed up something in the rack. Maybe you're just paying extra attention to the car since you know you had recent damage?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. What are the factory alignment specs? That’s what I’m trying to locate.
And regarding the alignment, the difference between the two sides would indicate something was tweaked. You wouldn’t start with the strut being slightly bent with the negative camber difference?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'd be looking at that negative toe measurement, which would follow a hit on that side and, IME is the most likely recipient of damage as the weakest link. They should have checked the tie rods, but I'd be looking at them again, plus everything regarding the rack.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What are the factory alignment specs? That’s what I’m trying to locate.
And regarding the alignment, the difference between the two sides would indicate something was tweaked. You wouldn’t start with the strut being slightly bent with the negative camber difference?
The factory specs are built into that sheet. So for example your left front camber ranges from -.1 to -1.6 with the center point being -.8. That means -.8 is the factory spec for left front camber, plus or minus .8.

And as far as strut or control arm, its merely a guess at this point. .5 degrees is very small change and who's to say the alignment wasn't at those specs before? You could cross measure a few reference points from side to side but you may not come up with enough difference to determine what the issue is, if there's any at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. First off, IME?
I thought that the difference between right and left camber and caster on my sheet exceeded the factory specs (.02). Given the wide margin between the two would indicate something being bent. The car has only 19K miles, and was never aligned before.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
You could cross measure a few reference points from side to side but you may not come up with enough difference to determine what the issue is, if there's any at all.
When I cough up between $50 and $100 for an alignment, I want the alignment to be done no matter if it was okay before or not.

·
Registered
644 Posts
When I cough up between $50 and $100 for an alignment, I want the alignment to be done no matter if it was okay before or not.
I should have been more clear. Front caster and camber is NOT adjustable on our cars in factory form.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I should have been more clear. Front caster and camber is NOT adjustable on our cars in factory form.
It isn't? I always thought it only had a limited range of adjustment. What do you do then if camber is out of whack?

·
Registered
644 Posts
It isn't? I always thought it only had a limited range of adjustment. What do you do then if camber is out of whack?
If its an instance like this where you have no measurable or visible bends, start replacing parts. If replacement parts dont bring it into spec, something is minorly tweaked with the subframe or the structure of the car.

The other option is to install an aftermarket caster/camber adjustment kit. The downside to this is A)cost and B) if you live in an area that salts their roads in winter, these are going to be destroyed in a couple of winters.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. So it seems alone from the difference between front right and left camber I have an issue component wise. I would also like to head to a different shop after my experience. I’m going to go back there with my complaints, but if it’s unsatisfactory, has anyone gotten a refund on an alignment?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I went back to the shop today, and before even mentioned it the owner stated camber is not adjustable, and more than likely the strut is slightly bent. He said it was fine though when he looked at it. Also, he stated the alignment was in spec and the car drives fine, chalking the wandering feeling up to tread wear difference between the new and old front tire. I’m going to replace the original tire on the front passenger side so I have even tread wear on both front sides and go from there.
Should I still be concerned about the possible bent strut/and or knuckle?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I didn't realize you were running one worn and one fresh tire on the front. Replacing the old tire will likely solve the problem. Suspension components are pretty robust, so they're probably fine. If the issue persists, worry about it then.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Duchess. Yup, and I figure as well this will solve the issue getting a new front passenger side tire.
So basically, the alignment is within spec, but the difference between front left and right camber could be attributed to a slightly bent front drivers side strut and/or knuckle, but not bent enough to warrant replacing to solve that front left/right camber difference, if I’m understanding correctly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts