Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the stratified guide, seems simple enough, but curious as to how you thread in the the compression tester, I'll be using the OEM kit from autotune.
I'm seeing elsewhere you should do the test with the engine cold and not warmed up like stratified says.
Just looking for advice, I do not want to mess anything up.

· Super Moderator
12,990 Posts
I read the stratified guide, seems simple enough, but curious as to how you thread in the the compression tester, I'll be using the OEM kit from autotune.
I'm seeing elsewhere you should do the test with the engine cold and not warmed up like stratified says.
Just looking for advice, I do not want to mess anything up.
Operating temp, remove all spark plugs and hold both the clutch and accelerator pedals to the floor while cranking.

· Administrator
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,306 Posts
I count my cranks. 8 cranks each cylinder. So you get a real picture.

· Administrator
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,306 Posts
Oh, and just finger tight the spark plug adapter. If it leaks, go a lil tighter. Dont gorilla it, you'll get it stuck, and its a ************ to get back out.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
I've done a couple comp. tests and find that I sometimes need to crank the engine 10+ times until the needle stops moving. Being a bit OCD about actually seeing what's happening on the gauge while I am in the driver's seat cranking the engine; I set up a camera to record the gauge while doing turning the engine. Then, I review the footage. Mainly do this because I found the pressure was dropping a little due to some leakage, but like the almight @Duece McCracken AKA DMC, says, it's a PITA if you get the adapter in there too tight. Likely will tear the little rubber O-ring that seals it if you do... Don't ask how I know this, but just words to the wise ;)

Reactions: rob99rt and cive

· Registered
378 Posts
I've done a couple comp. tests and find that I sometimes need to crank the engine 10+ times until the needle stops moving. Being a bit OCD about actually seeing what's happening on the gauge while I am in the driver's seat cranking the engine; I set up a camera to record the gauge while doing turning the engine. Then, I review the footage. Mainly do this because I found the pressure was dropping a little due to some leakage, but like the almight @Duece McCracken AKA DMC, says, it's a PITA if you get the adapter in there too tight. Likely will tear the little rubber O-ring that seals it if you do... Don't ask how I know this, but just words to the wise ;)
Yeah I generally just crank until the needle stops, or about. Never had any issues, just need to keep a charger on the battery.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah so you don't kill the battery from all the cranking and also gives you more consistent numbers. As the battery drains it will lower compression numbers.
Ah damn, I don't have anything to charge my battery except a halo which is used for jump starting the car... I guess I can use that? not sure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts