Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is extremely dirty. I usually just wipe it down, but I'd really like to spray it down with water to clean everything. What parts do we need to cover to do this?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Like UnfocusedST said, using their video or another you can get a feel for how the pros do it. A lot of guys just use a detail spray of some type and just wipe it down like you said, but whatever suits your fancy. Last time I cleaned mine I just wiped it down, but I need to do mine again also.

This could probably belong better in the detailing section, but it might get seen in this section more.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've lost a couple coils due to pressure washing. One on my F-150 another on my Dodge Dakota. that engine cover looks pretty protective, but the F-150's coils are exposed.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Degreaser and a rag is probably the safest way. If your cover is dirty you can obviously just pull that bad boy off and power wash it until it's clean.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Dish soap in a spray bottle 25/75 water mix. Cover filter with a plastic bag. Spray engine when cold with soapy water. Get soap all over and rinse with water hose not pressure washer. Be conservative with the water. Wipe what you can with a rag and let the rest drip dry. This is what mine looked like after 50000 miles when I pulled it out. I did it every 6 months never had a issue.

004.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Dish soap in a spray bottle 25/75 water mix. Cover filter with a plastic bag. Spray engine when cold with soapy water. Get soap all over and rinse with water hose not pressure washer. Be conservative with the water. Wipe what you can with a rag and let the rest drip dry. This is what mine looked like after 50000 miles when I pulled it out. I did it every 6 months never had a issue.

View attachment 256577
This is exactly how I've been doing mine for years. I clean underhood every time I wash my car. Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle, rinse with a regular hose nozzle (NOT a pressure washer), blow most of the water away with the blower setup on my ShopVac, then wipe down with a synthetic chamois.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
This is exactly how I've been doing mine for years. I clean underhood every time I wash my car. Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle, rinse with a regular hose nozzle (NOT a pressure washer), blow most of the water away with the blower setup on my ShopVac, then wipe down with a synthetic chamois.
Exactly and it works great. Some people don't realize dish soap is a mild degreaser. "Dawn, take the grease away" LOL

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had a steam cleaner when I used to detail...I could do everything with it but its main use was engine bay cleaning. Worked awesome

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Exactly and it works great. Some people don't realize dish soap is a mild degreaser. "Dawn, take the grease away" LOL
Hence why they clean (and show on the bottles...) baby ducklings with them which are covered in oil. Yet, people are oblivious. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Zep citrus degreaser and a pressure washer. Just spray it all over, let it sit for a few minutes and spray it off

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
steam .....

you can get a small steam cleaner for around $100

been using this method for years .....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts