Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to install front struts. i cant push the spindle down far enough to fit the strut under the strut tower, or even under the fender for that matter. there is just not enough play to fit it in there, unlike what cjponyparts suggests. any help is appreciated.

st-x coilovers on a 2016 st

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Make sure the bolt is loose and you’re spreading out the knuckle so it’s loose on the damper.

Then literally kick the whole assembly down, I kicked the top of the brake rotor, it will pop off all at once

It’s easier to get back in, but you just need to brute force it to get it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
trying to install front struts. i cant push the spindle down far enough to fit the strut under the strut tower, or even under the fender for that matter. there is just not enough play to fit it in there, unlike what cjponyparts suggests. any help is appreciated.

Yea, what the guy above me said, as long as you've got everything out of the way you've just gotta put some muscle into it. Helps if you get someone to push down on the spindle with their foot while you wrestle it out.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts

Well, seems everyone still thinks you are removing it, but, still the same process. You have to put a lot of downward pressure on the knuckle; a second person to put a foot on it is very helpful. Don't know what it is about the facelift cars; I just pushed down with one hand and put the strut in place with the other on my 2013.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
278 Posts
On my 2018, I had to use spring compressors. I went to the limits of the axle extension and still can not get it out. If you push down too hard it can damage the axle. Then, push down the strut shaft as much you can, is a gas shock, it will go up again. While it is down, remove top mount and then the strut can go up enough to get out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts