Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings All,
I've been reading on the focus ST's and all the nitty-gritty details... Man it is amazing to have such forum.
However, I started noticing some differences between everyone's focus which I asume are mostly USA and Canada models.
I got my ST from Dubai so it is a middle eastern version.

Here are things I would like everyone's opinions on.
The whole ST1, ST2, ST3 tiers are not exactly applicable here, if anything, I would say I got an ST2 with a few differences.

First, Headlights are standard Halogen with no DRL. If I wanted the HID I would just get the OEM HID assembly, plug and play with some FOCCUS adjustments.... Correct? Do US ST's have a DRL switch in the car?

Second, on the fuel filler cap it says 95 fuel min. Now, from all the discussions here, 91 fuel is the preferred kind for stock ST's, If use that, will there be harm? I know they suggested 95 instead of 93 because we only have three fuel grades everywhere, 91, 95, 98. Do you think the engine is adjusted slightly to accommodate this region?

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The whole ST1, ST2, ST3 tiers are not exactly applicable here, if anything, I would say I got an ST2 with a few differences.

Second, on the fuel filler cap it says 95 fuel min. Now, from all the discussions here, 91 fuel is the preferred kind for stock ST's, If Id that, will there be harm? I know they suggested 95 instead of 93 because we only have three fuel grades everywhere, 91, 95, 98. Do you think the engine is adjusted slightly to accommodate this region?
I know some countries got only one level of trim and that is often like our ST2 or maybe an ST2.5.

Different countries rate fuel octane differently. The USA uses the average of Research and Motor octanes (R+M)/2. Other countries use only the Research or only the Motor octane. It is doubtful that the motor is adjusted differently and more likely that your octane rating doesn't use the (R+M)/2 method.

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
1,185 Posts
In U.K. 95 Ron is standard regular fuel, 98, 99 are known as super unleaded, which is what is required if you want to get the full 250 hp, drl are not switchable and are only available on the ST3, along with heated leather, door edge protectors and cruise control is optional, style pack gets anthracite wheels, red callipers and illuminated door scuff protectors, st3 also has powerfold mirrors with puddle lights, if your car was built in Germany, you will have the intercooler from the mk2 Focus RS, from the factory, plus German cars don’t seem to suffer quite as much, from the evap system problems, the chaps in the States get.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
You're going to need to stick with the 98 Super if all possible. Your dealing with a completely different environment than the rest of us.

Dubai is around 17 feet above sea level (almost under water) but seeing as a mild evening can be in the 25-30 C your biggest enemy here will be knock. The higher the available octane the better.

The PCM strategies itself is fairly universal except where different emissions requirements are made, but the US standards are normally used.

As far as trim options go these too can be dictated by local or regional laws. These are however mostly controlled by the vehicles BCM (body control module) and not related to the PCM (powertrain control module).

An aftermarket intercooler on the ST isn't a suggestion but compulsory as it is extremely poor performing.

Keeping a good non-oiled aftermarket air filter such as the AEM dry flow and a sealed airbox lid will go a long way.

Regular cleaning of the radiator fins which can become easily impacted is also highly suggested.

Stay Safe
J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know some countries got only one level of trim and that is often like our ST2 or maybe an ST2.5.

Different countries rate fuel octane differently. The USA uses the average of Research and Motor octanes (R+M)/2. Other countries use only the Research or only the Motor octane. It is doubtful that the motor is adjusted differently and more likely that your octane rating doesn't use the (R+M)/2 method.
I need to look this up, not sure how they measure octane here

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In U.K. 95 Ron is standard regular fuel, 98, 99 are known as super unleaded, which is what is required if you want to get the full 250 hp, drl are not switchable and are only available on the ST3, along with heated leather, door edge protectors and cruise control is optional, style pack gets anthracite wheels, red callipers and illuminated door scuff protectors, st3 also has powerfold mirrors with puddle lights, if your car was built in Germany, you will have the intercooler from the mk2 Focus RS, from the factory, plus German cars don’t seem to suffer quite as much, from the evap system problems, the chaps in the States get.
Yes, the car was built in germany, guess I lucked out with this one.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're going to need to stick with the 98 Super if all possible. Your dealing with a completely different environment than the rest of us.

Dubai is around 17 feet above sea level (almost under water) but seeing as a mild evening can be in the 25-30 C your biggest enemy here will be knock. The higher the available octane the better.

The PCM strategies itself is fairly universal except where different emissions requirements are made, but the US standards are normally used.

As far as trim options go these too can be dictated by local or regional laws. These are however mostly controlled by the vehicles BCM (body control module) and not related to the PCM (powertrain control module).

An aftermarket intercooler on the ST isn't a suggestion but compulsory as it is extremely poor performing.

Keeping a good non-oiled aftermarket air filter such as the AEM dry flow and a sealed airbox lid will go a long way.

Regular cleaning of the radiator fins which can become easily impacted is also highly suggested.

Stay Safe
J
I probably won't go with 98 since it is expensive, very expensive.

However, I do intend on keeping it stock, maybe some of the mods to increase reliability as you suggested.

·
Registered
252 Posts
RON 95 is just about the same as (R+M)/2 91 so you should be fine there if you really cant do the 98, definitely don't go any lower. If you're running the 95 maybe don't hammer on it when it's super hot out though.

Reactions: sttwoton and gemery

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any thoughts about RON 91? or (R+M)/2 87?

A few people have been running theirs on this fuel for long cruises or slow daily commutes. I've also read a few members here use it sometimes

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
1,185 Posts
I probably won't go with 98 since it is expensive, very expensive.

However, I do intend on keeping it stock, maybe some of the mods to increase reliability as you suggested.
In that case, definitely get a catch can on there, the standard mk2 RS intercooler the car has will be plenty man enough.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,920 Posts
Nope, just direct injection on these.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts