Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this is my first post on here

I was just wondering why you never see the mk3 st shooting flames like the mk2? I always see neons and Subarus shooting flames after hard acceleration. Has anybody here got there car to do it under hard acceleration?

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
So your saying you need to go big turbo to roast marshmallows? Anybody doing it on a stock turbo?
Side exit exhaust FTW!!!!. higher rpm redline and shifting, more fuel, and more air seems to help facilitate pops of flames.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Flames = unburned fuel with enough oxygen to continue burning.

unburned fuel = reduced timing during shifts.

Commonly called DFCO, or Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off. If the exhaust is crackling/popping then its called Lean Pop because the mixture is lean, so no flames. Because the fuel finishes burning in the exhaust.

Extra fuel in the exhaust track has a cooling effect usually. But a normal air/fuel ratio with reduced timing means the ignition timing is late and its still burning as it travels down the exhaust path. With enough fuel, and reduced timing you get flame. The shorter your exhaust, the more likely you are to see it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was going to go with a Catless Downpipe and see if that makes it happen. If it doesn't make flames, then whats the point? Yes I know there are other benefits, but none matter to me for my DD except shooting flames because Racecar!

·
Registered
108 Posts

Commonly called DFCO, or Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off. If the exhaust is crackling/popping then its called Lean Pop because the mixture is lean, so no flames. Because the fuel finishes burning in the exhaust.

Extra fuel in the exhaust track has a cooling effect usually. But a normal air/fuel ratio with reduced timing means the ignition cam elate and its still burning as it travels down the exhaust path. With enough fuel, and reduced timing you get flame. The shorter your exhaust, the more likely you are to see it.
Good stuff! Always wondered why same cars did it and some didnt.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
So your saying you need to go big turbo to roast marshmallows? Anybody doing it on a stock turbo?
its going to be real hard to shoot flames with the stock turbo. I assume its possible, but you would need something like OCDs "crack" pipe (electronic cutout) to be able to have flames. Possibly with a true straight pipe out the back, you could, but i guess it would have to be the perfect scenario, or a special tune where extra fuel is being dumped

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've seen a video of an ST in Saudi shooting flames, if I'm not mistaken that car is full bolt ons with no tune.

Edit: Holy **** that BMW :shocked:

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts

Extra fuel in the exhaust track has a cooling effect usually. But a normal air/fuel ratio with reduced timing means the ignition cam elate and its still burning as it travels down the exhaust path. With enough fuel, and reduced timing you get flame. The shorter your exhaust, the more likely you are to see it.
here is an example of methanol burning after lift off. watch my tailpipe just after the pull

·
Vendor
1,840 Posts
I was able to shoot flames on the stock turbo and catless downpipe with some extra fuel dumped on decel.
I actually backed it off cause instead of soot getting just on the tips, it made a big sooty fire ball and my bumper started to get sooty.

On this car, the DFSO/DFCO is so fast on lift that even with a more retarded timing in lift off zones, it's hard to get enough fuel in the exhaust to do it.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I was able to shoot flames on the stock turbo and catless downpipe with some extra fuel dumped on decel.
I actually backed it off cause instead of soot getting just on the tips, it made a big sooty fire ball and my bumper started to get sooty.

On this car, the DFSO/DFCO is so fast on lift that even with a more retarded timing in lift off zones, it's hard to get enough fuel in the exhaust to do it.
did you have an exhaust setup as well or just a catless downpipe matted to the stock exhaust sytem?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I can easily shoot flames with my crackpipe. They're under the car but still. Lol.

·
Vendor
1,840 Posts
did you have an exhaust setup as well or just a catless downpipe matted to the stock exhaust sytem?
I totally spaced that part. I should be more clear!
I had the MBRP on as well as the catless downpipe.

Crack pipe closed it shot out the back, crack pipe open I'd leave a nice little black spot on the road when I lifted from the sooty goodness. I didn't do that too often and only drove that tune for a little while. I backed it off to just burblin' as I didn't wan't to start any fires or clean my bumper every day.

Reactions: LOLMS3
1 - 20 of 39 Posts