Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem where, due to track days, the outside edges of my tires are wearing out faster than the rest of the tire.

I would like to be able to adjust the camber to set to a more negative angle to help prevent uneven tire wear and potentially gain more grip on the track.

I have no experience at all with adjusting suspension.

I would like to know if adjusting camber is a complex and difficult process full of hassle or not. Like would it be plausible to adjust the camber to a more negative angle for a track day then change it back for daily driving? Or would it require a shop or expensive tools or lots of time to change each time?

I would also like to know what parts would I need to get to allow for more negative camber adjustment. I've seen some coilovers that appear to have camber adjustment. But if I could keep my stock suspension and just add on more negative camber adjustment, that would be preferred. I've looked at the Ground Control camber plates, but I'm not sure if those are compatible to add on to the stock setup or if they are just an add-on for their kit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You need coilovers. The factory springs are big enough that they leave no room to move to give clearance to add neg camber. I'll be running about -3.5° with mine up front this year. I have the jame barone setup.

Reactions: Maxx

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You could install RS knuckles and gain -0.8 but to really take advantage of camber on a track day, you need -2 almost -4 deg. And to get that you need coilovers and a camber plate.

No camber plates fit using stock springs or lowering spring. Coilovers is the ONLY option.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I suggest getting a ground control set up, I have them- they are aweslme. I run about -3 to -2.5 up front and a little more in the rear. Another great thing about GC is their customer service AND they use swift springs so u can play with spring rates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, sounds like I'll need to get coilovers. I've looked at Fortune Auto, Ground Control, and James Barone Racing. If there are any others recommended I check out, let me know.

And what about the actual process of adjusting the camber? Is it difficult? Is it something I can do in my garage and change back and forth for track days and daily driving? I imagine I'll also need some additional parts for rear camber adjustment.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Mfactory stuff looks good, but GC is pretty "proven". As far as the rear goes- you will need camber arms. The massive camber arms are the best imo- allowing for on car adjustability vs removing them to adjust. Trust me once you instal them, you don't want to remove them LOL.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm set on the Ground Control setup, looks like it'll be the most easy to adjust. I'm currently shopping vendors for the best deal.

To anyone who has the GC coilover kit & Koni dampers, where did you purchase from?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I think I'm set on the Ground Control setup, looks like it'll be the most easy to adjust. I'm currently shopping vendors for the best deal.

To anyone who has the GC coilover kit & Koni dampers, where did you purchase from?
Forum member, BUT GC direct seems pretty reasonable. They are super helpful too with spring selection and support. Highly recommended. I sheared a top hat bolt and they were able to get my a replacement in 24 hrs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the Ground Control coilover kit with the Koni shocks as well as Massive rear camber and toe arms. I'm yet to install anything as of right now.

I've seen others also purchased helper springs to go with the GC setup. Is this necessary? Or what would be the problem if I didn't have helper springs?

Reactions: SiThlord

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are tires that have built in camber. Theyre called cambertires, matt farah did a review, and seemed to liked them a lot.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I got the Ground Control coilover kit with the Koni shocks as well as Massive rear camber and toe arms. I'm yet to install anything as of right now.

I've seen others also purchased helper springs to go with the GC setup. Is this necessary? Or what would be the problem if I didn't have helper springs?
Maxx- danmad and I have pretty much the exact same set up. We both have the helpers and i like because I am always loading and unloading the suspension for suspension/brake work, wheel and tire swaps, and some tracks have sections where he suspension can come nearly all the way unloaded. It's worth it to me to have to worry about everything seating improperly

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ok, sounds like I'll need to get coilovers. I've looked at Fortune Auto, Ground Control, and James Barone Racing. If there are any others recommended I check out, let me know.

And what about the actual process of adjusting the camber? Is it difficult? Is it something I can do in my garage and change back and forth for track days and daily driving? I imagine I'll also need some additional parts for rear camber adjustment.

The problem with making camber or ride height adjustments at home is that it will change your toe settings as well, these can radically affect your tire wear after returning to daily driver duty. Best scenario is to purchase a long term alignment warranty and have the alignment reset after your track days.

Reactions: Maxx

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suggest getting a ground control set up, I have them- they are aweslme. I run about -3 to -2.5 up front and a little more in the rear. Another great thing about GC is their customer service AND they use swift springs so u can play with spring rates

whats the max negative camber on these for the front also i run godspeed coils all around can these GC fit on the top plate>>??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts