Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last 2 days we were in the high 90's.
Noticed less power. when I stepped on the pedal I get more of a low growl rather than the car Just going. Today it was 60° and the car Just took off instead so I'm figuring it's temp related.

·
Registered
163 Posts
upgraded intercooler or not, its not gonna perform as well in the heat. this is typical with any car, turbocharged or not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
but will the intercooler counteract the hot weather and improve performance noticeably?
Yes, definitely. While colder air is more dense which helps produce better power in general, the majority of the loss you are getting with a stock FMIC is the car tuning back the power because the temperatures are too hot. It's unfortunate that the stock FMIC is so bad on this car, but it's not expensive or difficult to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I would agree that hotter ambient temps will effect every car. as mentioned above the hotter air is less dense and therefor more of it is needed to make the same power vs colder weather. this is very noticeable on my V8 Lincoln, in 60*-70* days, the car makes plenty of power, and a good amount of low end TQ, however on 80*-908+ days it is just a god off the line, eventually when it gets up into its main power band it gets a bit better, but nowhere near as good on a cold day. boosted(whether it be a blower or a snail) cars are even worse because compressing air creates heat all by itself, which is why they all have (or should have) intercoolers to cool the air charge back down. the problem is that now when the ambient air is a lot hotter, then it is not able to cool the air charge inside the intercooler as much. add that to the fact that our intercooler is just too small to begin with, and then it gets way too hot and the hot air flowing through the grill/intercooler isn't doing nearly as much to cool the air inside the intercooler. this is when heat soak really becomes a problem and is terribly noticeable.

while a bigger intercooler cant fix all of the problems with less power on a hotter day, it will definitely increase the efficiency of the cars ability to cool down the air charge and keep heat soak from taking even more power away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts