Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgraded to GTX2867R on my 2014 Focus ST several years ago. Still running a modified stock hot side charge hose/pipe instead of installing a larger aftermarket hot side intercooler coupler/pipe scheme as I had read too many accounts of aftermarket turbo couplers being too short with the ATP turbo. Anyways, my stock hot side hose at the turbo outlet is failing and needs to be replaced. From what I researched, Ford does not sell an outlet hose only but rather you have to buy the hot side outlet hose, pipe, and pipe-to-intercooler hose as a complete assembly. Has anyone found a source for a new hot side turbo outlet hose only? I've found a "hose only" for a European 2.0L Focus III, part #CV616C646FE-2 5234713 but I don't know if will fit a 2014 US Focus ST. Has anyone used this European version on a US Focus ST?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Loosen this v band on turbo so to rotate the turbine side to side . Any hot side will fit . The people at factory must be drunk when putting together. Make sure you have downpipe on with v band but not tight to get everything aligned

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but the issue I'm having is the turbo air outlet, not exhaust outlet. I don't have any issues with the exhaust downpipe.

·
Registered
343 Posts
@bobbyo ill try to break it down. Your entire compressor housing can rotate any direction 360 degrees. So you can build or make any hot side pipe fit to the compressor housing aslong as it’s the same size as the hot side output on the compressor. For an example I made my own hot side pipe for under 30 bucks 2.5 outlet. i was forced to do this because I had made my own turbo manifold and turbo kit so nothing that was a direct after market bolt on would fit. Just buy some pipe and couplers and get creative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A performance shop installed my turbo and positioned it so that the stock hot charge hose would work. I am not looking to go to a 2.5" charge pipe because, according to Stratified, I've gone as far as I can go without upgrading the fuel delivery system. I'm looking to replace the stock hot side charge hose with a similar hose. Was wondering if anyone has replaced their factory stock turbo charge hose without buying the entire hot side hose/tubing system from Ford. I noticed that a European Ford ST (hose only) part is available on the internet and was wondering if anyone has installed one of these as a direct replacement on an American Focus ST.

·
Registered
343 Posts
A performance shop installed my turbo and positioned it so that the stock hot charge hose would work. I am not looking to go to a 2.5" charge pipe because, according to Stratified, I've gone as far as I can go without upgrading the fuel delivery system. I'm looking to replace the stock hot side charge hose with a similar hose. Was wondering if anyone has replaced their factory stock turbo charge hose without buying the entire hot side hose/tubing system from Ford. I noticed that a European Ford ST (hose only) part is available on the internet and was wondering if anyone has installed one of these as a direct replacement on an American Focus ST.
No one is saying you’ve got to increase diameter to a 2.5. You could even buy a standard 1.75 or 2” couplers and replace the parts. Or I can even mail you out the stock charge pipes if I can find them in my shed. But even running an aftermarket charge pipes it should not off set your tune that drastically that you would need a retune. I would even be surprised if you gain 2hp from it.
@Duece McCracken
Maybe a wiser man can explain this better.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Upgraded to GTX2867R on my 2014 Focus ST several years ago. Still running a modified stock hot side charge hose/pipe instead of installing a larger aftermarket hot side intercooler coupler/pipe scheme as I had read too many accounts of aftermarket turbo couplers being too short with the ATP turbo. Anyways, my stock hot side hose at the turbo outlet is failing and needs to be replaced. From what I researched, Ford does not sell an outlet hose only but rather you have to buy the hot side outlet hose, pipe, and pipe-to-intercooler hose as a complete assembly. Has anyone found a source for a new hot side turbo outlet hose only? I've found a "hose only" for a European 2.0L Focus III, part #CV616C646FE-2 5234713 but I don't know if will fit a 2014 US Focus ST. Has anyone used this European version on a US Focus ST?
Well, you could splice in another 90 degree silicone hose piece, with a coupling piece and two t bolts.

Or you can place a WTB thread in our classifieds and there could be a local member with one just kicking around.

Where exactly is is failing? Any pics?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I believe I have all of my stock parts still out in the shed. If I can find it you could have it if you pay for shipping. Not many people buying stock parts I consider it all junk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, you could splice in another 90 degree silicone hose piece, with a coupling piece and two t bolts.

Or you can place a WTB thread in our classifieds and there could be a local member with one just kicking around.

Car is in winter storage right now and I didn't take any pictures when I saw the hose fault during storage preparation. It is failing at the T-Bolt clamp that secures the hose to the turbo outlet horn. Had to go to a T-Bolt clamp to keep the hose from blowing-off. Factory clamps couldn't handle the increased boost. T-Bolt clamp has rolled edges but it looks like the clamping power eventually dug into the hose....has 40K miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe I have all of my stock parts still out in the shed. If I can find it you could have it if you pay for shipping. Not many people buying stock parts I consider it all junk.
Thanks "G"! If the hose is in good condition and doesn't have a lot of miles on it, I would be interested in it. If you can find it and can send a few pics, we can go from there.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Thanks "G"! If the hose is in good condition and doesn't have a lot of miles on it, I would be interested in it. If you can find it and can send a few pics, we can go from there.
To be honest, you are the first person I can recall, that has had an OEM charge "pipe" fail in that manner. If you go through another one, you may want to consider a different setup.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

I'll take a look. And there's nothing wrong with any of the stock parts. I went FBO at about 10,000 miles maybe less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be honest, you are the first person I can recall, that has had an OEM charge "pipe" fail in that manner. If you go through another one, you may want to consider a different setup.
I was surprised also. I had installed a standard HPS T-Bolt clamp and torqued nut to max torque (75 in-lb), needed to keep hose from eventually blowing-off due to high boost. During oil changes I checked the torque on the clamp and found it had loosened a bit every time and had to re-torqued back to 75 in-lb. Could be that the re-torquing back to max specification was too much for the hose over time. For the replacement hose, my thought is to use a spring loaded T-Bolt clamp at a slightly lower torque value and let the spring regulate clamp torque to compensate for hose temperature changes. I'll make a final decision on what to do once I take the hose off and inspect the failing area of the hose.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
I was surprised also. I had installed a standard HPS T-Bolt clamp and torqued nut to max torque (75 in-lb), needed to keep hose from eventually blowing-off due to high boost. During oil changes I checked the torque on the clamp and found it had loosened a bit every time and had to re-torqued back to 75 in-lb. Could be that the re-torquing back to max specification was too much for the hose over time. For the replacement hose, my thought is to use a spring loaded T-Bolt clamp at a slightly lower torque value and let the spring regulate clamp torque to compensate for hose temperature changes. I'll make a final decision on what to do once I take the hose off and inspect the failing area of the hose.
Hmm, i use all hps clamps. I tighten by hand so its tight, but have never re-tightened them.

Also, I have never had a charge pipe blow off. On any ST i have worked on. Oem clamps, t bolts, spring tbolts, no hairspray, just proper clamping force and surface prep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, i use all hps clamps. I tighten by hand so its tight, but have never re-tightened them.

Also, I have never had a charge pipe blow off. On any ST i have worked on. Oem clamps, t bolts, spring tbolts, no hairspray, just proper clamping force and surface prep.
Even with proper surface prep, Ford OEM clamp would not hold turbo outlet charge hose in place, kept blowing off even at an over-torque of 50 in-lb on clamp nut. Switched to HPS T-Bolt clamp and had to torque nut to max. 75 in-lb torque to keep hose from blowing off. Hard to contain the boost created by the GTX2867R!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried that technique at one point but hot charge hose still eventually blew-off. :(

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hairspray works. But you can Also use some vicegrip pliers and a simple screw to squeeze a ridge around any thin walled aluminum pipe and make a quasi “bead.” And then apply clamps from there. If that ever pops off. A. Yore doing it wrong or B. You have other issues :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts