Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tossing this thread up to see if I can get any insight into the minor issues I've been having with my 2014 ST that just started cropping up.

Car is a Late Model Year 2014 ST3. The only thing I've touched on the car electrically would be the accesport plugged into the obdii, and my Airlift Suspension.

Reason I mention the Accessport, is I was previously having trouble where my Accessport was "shorting out" the entire gauge cluster/windows/etc. The plug was broken, and would come partially dislodged from the access port. When this happened my entire gauge cluster would shut off, windows/hvac would not work, etc. If I then turned the car off and then back on again, I'd have to stick key fob into the steering column spot to get it to start. Anyways that's been diagnosed and fixed for a couple months now, just posting that for full disclosure...

Now the problem I'm having now...... I click the lock button on the key fob twice, the doors will lock but the horn will not beep. I would say this is the case 90% of the time right now. In conjunction with this. 2 weeks ago the car was randomly dead after just being left overnight in the garage. Jumped it.... started and held charge fine. No problems again for a week. Car is randomly dead after just being driven the night before. Jump it...started and held charge fine. I go on vacation for a week. Car is sitting dormant the entire time. I come back.... the car starts up just fine. I have not had another "dead battery" issues aside from the two listed above.

The car does not have the oem battery. I bought the best battery AutoZone Sold at the time for the car, don't remember the name off the top of my head. When the access port was shorting out the car, I thought the battery might be **** so I swapped it out. It's been in the car since last summer.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Just tossing this thread up to see if I can get any insight into the minor issues I've been having with my 2014 ST that just started cropping up.

Car is a Late Model Year 2014 ST3. The only thing I've touched on the car electrically would be the accesport plugged into the obdii, and my Airlift Suspension.

Reason I mention the Accessport, is I was previously having trouble where my Accessport was "shorting out" the entire gauge cluster/windows/etc. The plug was broken, and would come partially dislodged from the access port. When this happened my entire gauge cluster would shut off, windows/hvac would not work, etc. If I then turned the car off and then back on again, I'd have to stick key fob into the steering column spot to get it to start. Anyways that's been diagnosed and fixed for a couple months now, just posting that for full disclosure...

Now the problem I'm having now...... I click the lock button on the key fob twice, the doors will lock but the horn will not beep. I would say this is the case 90% of the time right now. In conjunction with this. 2 weeks ago the car was randomly dead after just being left overnight in the garage. Jumped it.... started and held charge fine. No problems again for a week. Car is randomly dead after just being driven the night before. Jump it...started and held charge fine. I go on vacation for a week. Car is sitting dormant the entire time. I come back.... the car starts up just fine. I have not had another "dead battery" issues aside from the two listed above.

The car does not have the oem battery. I bought the best battery AutoZone Sold at the time for the car, don't remember the name off the top of my head. When the access port was shorting out the car, I thought the battery might be **** so I swapped it out. It's been in the car since last summer.
I don't know much about the air lift suspension. But how is the compressor wired, is it leaking when sitting and the compressor keeps kicking on. Also I know these cars do some weird **** when the battery is starting to go. I know you said it is new, but sometimes after a battery gets completely drained it is never the same after that.

Reactions: Plinky

·
Registered
100 Posts
Elyk864's advice sounds legit to me, as I've seen factory air shock systems short out & run the compressor until the battery discharges.

Another possibility is the AccessPort shorting out episode could've freaked out the body control module (I'm GM trained, don't know what Ford calls it) or another module & "logic locked" it, & a number of things could possibly happen (modules won't power down, certain features disabled, etc). You might try simply disconnecting the battery & letting the vehicle sit overnight so all the modules clear/reset themselves (GM calls this a "Global Reset"). I've had quirky issues with vehicles caused by a weak battery or failed component (USB flash drive for example) & cured them simply by shutting off power to the module in question. Might cure your horn concern, might not, but it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When air control goes bad it can put a massive drain on your battery. I had a car that started misfiring and killibg alternators until i replaced it with standard shocks and springs. I will never do air ride control again. Good luck

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't think it's from the airbag system, I've had that installed since late October and only just noticed an issue a couple weeks ago. That being said, the Controller is wired in with an add a fuse kit to a fuse that is only powered when the car is either full on or accessory. I will try and get a photo of the fuse box in the engine bay when I go on lunch.

I will try the trick with disconnecting the battery overnight this weekend and see if that makes a difference.

It's really weird the car will sit for 1-2 weeks at a time and start right up, then randomly overnite the battery will be dead. To see if it's the access port, I drove with it completely disconnect this past week. I have had no drained battery problems. Going to hook it back up for a week or two now and see if the dead battery issue comes up again.

Edit: The compressor and controller only turn on when the car is in accessory mode or full on. I tested this a few times when I installed it by draining the air out of the tank, once the compressor turned on for a couple seconds I would shut the car off. Compressor stopped, controller de-powered, etc. Turned car back on, system would fire back up and the compressor would fill the tank. I have not noticed any leaks in the system either.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you have your AP set up to go on and off when you start the car. If not and your leaving it plugged in your AP is staying on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts