Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the horn quit working when I would close the door, the when I would lock it, and now the horn won't work at all.

Have any of y'all had a similar problems? I am hoping that it is just the fuse, relay, or horn went bad, but I can never get that lucky. Any help with diagnosing this problem would be a great help.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Perfect opportunity to yell, "GET THE **** OUTTA MY WAY!!" My horn is not working! SO IM YELLING THIS!!" not having a horn has been great for me....
No more horn beep after locking the car? Great, I can go in the house without waking anyone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but it won't pass inspection and I have to use my horn on a regular basis due to inattentive/idiot drivers who change lanes with no blinker and 20 mph lower than the speed limit and trucks who like to stay in the fast lane until the last minute and try to side swipe me when they decide to make a lane change into the turning lane that I am occupying at the time... ??? Horrible drivers! I wonder if the horn went out because it honks every damn time I lock it or shut the door when its running?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Horns are low on the car.. They get damp. the contacts corrode..
Even just pulling the electrical connector off and back on AT THE HORN may 'fix' the horn problem.
If it is in the steering wheel.. harder to fix..
(But IMO if it was the steering wheel parts, then the door honk and stuff would still work.)

Though it may be if the op honks all the time he HAS worn out the horn. Or..
maybe some annoyed honked at idiot decided to kill your horn..
I have found I might use the horm.. maybe once a year? And that is when someone is totally not moving for a green light.
I usually do not honk for other drivers actions.. (One of those folks may be in a really bad mood, and have a gun.)

I do not view driving as a competition, more like a dance.. We are all partners on the road..

·
Registered
207 Posts
just went thru this

and for reference I am 'electrical' smart with regard to car electrics and have multiple sets of horns installed on my classic Mini (loud Hella and a 'musical set' of air horns .... switch selectable)

Focus ST horns stopped working.

The main fuse box under the bonnet also holds the horn relay and your owner's manual tells you what's where. I verified my fuse was good, but replaced just in case ... no change. When I tapped the horn button (steering wheel) I could hear the relay 'click' .. but since several accessories use the same relay I swapped around ..... no change.

at this point I got lazy. The horns are buried on the right front of the car. I took it to the dealer. They confirmed 'nothing wrong' electrically but the horn assembly had failed. They put in a new set for $250 ....... The horns are cheap ... getting there to swap is a bit of time. I could have done this for the cost of the horns but gettin' old and lazy.

Yes, they are mounted low and get wet ...

is it possible that the horn was NOT bad and all that was needed was cleaning the contacts?????

YES {don't tell my wife}

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, but it won't pass inspection and I have to use my horn on a regular basis due to inattentive/idiot drivers who change lanes with no blinker and 20 mph lower than the speed limit and trucks who like to stay in the fast lane until the last minute and try to side swipe me when they decide to make a lane change into the turning lane that I am occupying at the time... ??? Horrible drivers! I wonder if the horn went out because it honks every damn time I lock it or shut the door when its running?
You couldn't have said it better! I deal with this every day to and from work. People drive like sh**! Sitting in the passing lane matching speed with a prius in the right lane that's doing 15 under......UNBELEIVABLE!!:furious: My horn quit too and its really making me angry.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Same here, bought Hellas. Hopefully that will do the trick

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts