Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so I picked up this 2018 for a great deal 2 weeks ago with every intention of leaving it 100% stock and driving it until the wheels fall off. I however, am incapable of that, and after discovering that a few things were already done to the car, decided why not.

Its a white 2018 ST2/3

The car came with 5% tint, the RS cold air intake, symposer delete, and a resonator delete.

I had an X4 laying around and called my friend Shawn over at SSI and here we are a few days later with a nice little E30 tune and a modest 22.5 lbs of boost. I payed 135 for 2 tunes.

I did the 8$ DIY 1 in wing extension, some red and black ford emblem overlays (20$), amber fog tint (10$), I also tinted the headlight reflectors, reverse lights, and 3rd brake light with a 10$ roll of 35% tint. I also got my hands on some red rally flaps for 60$ on ebay. I also did a fresh set of plugs gapped to .026.

I can't stand all the AGS stuff and bulky grills and shrouds they have all stuffed in the front end. I wanted to improve air flow and actually be able to see my intercooler. So I went ahead and removed the entire AGS assembly. No CELs or anything even on stock flash.

All in all I'm $263 in on the new daily and im really enjoying her. My goal was to keep it under a grand until my warranty is gone. After that it will be full build, aux fuel, and turbo im sure 馃槑.

If anyone has any cheap mods or DIY recommendations please let me know !

A buddy of mine is giving me his Cobb shift plate and rear motor mount off his old ST.

Registered
Nice ride, I'd hardly call it a beater! Lol. Before you spend any more, get an intercooler, that's an absolute must!

Also speaking of warranty, the powertrain side of it flew out the window when you tuned it.

Registered
I like how you called it an ST2/3. Looks like an ST2 (no carbon fiber anywhere) with full leather Recaros added.

Registered
Welcome to the ST club. You hit most of the main cheap mods already, but the stubby Antenna ($20) makes a big aesthetic difference in my opinion. Also pick up some eBay solid shifter bushings ($15) to install while you're already putting in the shift plate. You can get black/red center caps to delete the blue and match the new logo overlays too. Other than that, I would just save for an intercooler or other big performance/suspension mods to do when you're out of warranty (if it wasn't already voided by the tune lol).

List of other cheap mods off the top of my head. Window rain guards, Ebay sequential mirror turn signals, shift knob, rear window louvers, tighten WGA, rear wiper delete, polyfill in the sub box, HID fogs

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I like how you called it an ST2/3. Looks like an ST2 (no carbon fiber anywhere) with full leather Recaros added.
I was perplexed when I saw it in person because I thought if it had the leather Recaros and navigation than it was the ST3 but like you said it had no carbon. I googled it and someone online was calling it an ST 2/3 lol.

It came with the original sale sticker and it is an ST2 with the 401A package.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Nice ride, I'd hardly call it a beater! Lol. Before you spend any more, get an intercooler, that's an absolute must!

Also speaking of warranty, the powertrain side of it flew out the window when you tuned it.
I said I bought the tune, doesn't mean I tuned the car 馃槑. As long as I keep the ECU stock I have my warranty 馃ぃ.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the ST club. You hit most of the main cheap mods already, but the stubby Antenna ($20) makes a big aesthetic difference in my opinion. Also pick up some eBay solid shifter bushings ($15) to install while you're already putting in the shift plate. You can get black/red center caps to delete the blue and match the new logo overlays too. Other than that, I would just save for an intercooler or other big performance/suspension mods to do when you're out of warranty (if it wasn't already voided by the tune lol).

List of other cheap mods off the top of my head. Window rain guards, Ebay sequential mirror turn signals, shift knob, rear window louvers, tighten WGA, rear wiper delete, polyfill in the sub box, HID fogs
Thanks !

I've got some hybrid turbos in my 3.5 eco pushing 27lbs daily and 30 on race. I would love the same shop to rebuild the ko3 in this ST once I blow it up. For now with the stock boost I'll be fine, but one day I'm sure. The Ko3s in my F150 grenaded after 20,000 miles of 24-26lbs of boost. As much crap as people want to talk about them, I think they are great with the right internals. I've got 75,000 miles on these hybrids. Im not looking for a street king. I'd road race this car before I dragged it. Give me 350 wheel and a little over 400 ft lbs and ill be happy.

I'm interested in the tightening of the WGA and the pollyfill on the sub box... im gonna start Googling. Ill definitely order some solid shifter bushings. Thanks for the info !

Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Thanks !

I've got some hybrid turbos in my 3.5 eco pushing 27lbs daily and 30 on race. I would love the same shop to rebuild the ko3 in this ST once I blow it up. For now with the stock boost I'll be fine, but one day I'm sure. The Ko3s in my F150 grenaded after 20,000 miles of 24-26lbs of boost. As much crap as people want to talk about them, I think they are great with the right internals. I've got 75,000 miles on these hybrids. Im not looking for a street king. I'd road race this car before I dragged it. Give me 350 wheel and a little over 400 ft lbs and ill be happy.

I'm interested in the tightening of the WGA and the pollyfill on the sub box... im gonna start Googling. Ill definitely order some solid shifter bushings. Thanks for the info !
I can attest to the fact the polyfill is worth it in the sub box. Such a nicer, crisp hit. Was something I got used to and took for granted then took another ST driver for a ride and they instantly commented on how much better the bass sounded despite the same system being in her car. Removing the hatch cover from the car and polyfill in the enclosure apparently is clearly noticeable to people. 10/10 recommend for $3.

Also, once you do tune the ST you'll be in love for a while for sure. It makes you fall in love all over again with this little BeaST. You'll be limited at around 23.5-24.5 max psi with this turbo if you want to remain safe in this car, but you can definitely put in some work with he WGA adjusted. However, I do NOT recommend adjusting your WGA without a tune unless you like Overboost condition CEL codes and limp mode. Once tuned for it though, you definitely see some noticeable improvement with holding boost pressure into the higher RPMs a little better.

Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Oh, cheap recommended change for you to make...get rid of those POS lug nuts from Ford. They're chrome plated and they swell incredibly fast and become impossible to fit your lug nut wrench onto. Grab some nice Gorilla lugs or something off ebay or wherever they're cheapest. Trust me...not only does it suck not being able to get the wrench on...but they're incredibly soft and you can literally tear the chrome cap off or turn the cap into liquid and strip it then you're SOL and can't remove it without a whole lot of pain.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I can attest to the fact the polyfill is worth it in the sub box. Such a nicer, crisp hit. Was something I got used to and took for granted then took another ST driver for a ride and they instantly commented on how much better the bass sounded despite the same system being in her car. Removing the hatch cover from the car and polyfill in the enclosure apparently is clearly noticeable to people. 10/10 recommend for $3.

Also, once you do tune the ST you'll be in love for a while for sure. It makes you fall in love all over again with this little BeaST. You'll be limited at around 23.5-24.5 max psi with this turbo if you want to remain safe in this car, but you can definitely put in some work with he WGA adjusted. However, I do NOT recommend adjusting your WGA without a tune unless you like Overboost condition CEL codes and limp mode. Once tuned for it though, you definitely see some noticeable improvement with holding boost pressure into the higher RPMs a little better.
Since my car isnt tuned im using a "friend's" for reference. His name is Bob. Bob's Focus will spike at round 22.5 PSI and drop a few lbs as it hits the higher revs. So If we tighten Bob's WGA, his E30 tune should hold that 22.5 lbs of boost the whole time? Or will it boost a few lbs more than what its tuned for then drop back down a few lbs? Im defintely getting some polyfill for my sub box. Bob can get his own, hes lucky im letting him use my tune.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, cheap recommended change for you to make...get rid of those POS lug nuts from Ford. They're chrome plated and they swell incredibly fast and become impossible to fit your lug nut wrench onto. Grab some nice Gorilla lugs or something off ebay or wherever they're cheapest. Trust me...not only does it suck not being able to get the wrench on...but they're incredibly soft and you can literally tear the chrome cap off or turn the cap into liquid and strip it then you're SOL and can't remove it without a whole lot of pain.

calling my friend at discount tire now, thanks for the heads up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I also need rainguards bad, this rain has been killing me when I try to smoke while driving lol. can anyone vouch for any of the cheapo ebay ones or should I just bite the bullet and get the Ford ones?

Super Moderator
Since my car isnt tuned im using a "friend's" for reference. His name is Bob. Bob's Focus will spike at round 22.5 PSI and drop a few lbs as it hits the higher revs. So If we tighten Bob's WGA, his E30 tune should hold that 22.5 lbs of boost the whole time? Or will it boost a few lbs more than what its tuned for then drop back down a few lbs? Im defintely getting some polyfill for my sub box. Bob can get his own, hes lucky im letting him use my tune.
Tightening the WGA will get you about 1-3 psi across the entire pull. It's nothing crazy, but it adds up. Stock wga adjust will be about 23.5 peak tuned and like 11.5 redline. Adjusted will be around 25ish psi, and closer to 14 psi at redline. As long as you have a FMIC that can keep it cool, its a good mod, that requires tuning!!!

Reactions: brian60

Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
You are correct in thinking it will hold that pressure longer, but it will not hold it "the whole time." Our KO3 turbo simply doesn't have the ability to flow that much anywhere close to redline. Bob's car likely hits 22.5psi and tapers off to about 16psi by the time he is at 5000-5500rpm and anything beyond that RPM he's actually probably slowing himself down (which is why it is recommended you shift at ~5500 to put you at peak torque in the next gear).

If you tighten your WGA Bob could expect to see around 18psi at that same 5000-5500rpm and could theoretically carry it a little further until 5750-5850 before he is below 16psi and starts to feel lifeless. However when I stated you need to be tuned for it, I'm not just saying you need to have a tune on the car. I mean you need to inform your tuner that you made this adjustment to the actuator and have the tuner adjust your tune to take advantage of this. Otherwise, the tune/car won't know how to respond. On the stock tune, the car will likely think you are overboosting and will put you into limp mode with a CEL. @Duece McCracken may be able to speak to the advantages of adjusting your WGA as he was one of the pioneers who worked out and documented the process a while back. It's beneficial only if you are tuned appropriately...and can cause problems if you're not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Tightening the WGA will get you about 1-3 psi across the entire pull. It's nothing crazy, but it adds up. Stock wga adjust will be about 23.5 peak tuned and like 11.5 redline. Adjusted will be around 25ish psi, and closer to 14 psi at redline. As long as you have a FMIC that can keep it cool, its a good mod, that requires tuning!!!
Look at you...while I was typing you read my mind. Sly devil...

Super Moderator
Look at you...while I was typing you read my mind. Sly devil...

I'm surprised you remembered how to log in to this site, did you click it instead of FB by accident? Lmfao

Reactions: brian60

Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
I'm surprised you remembered how to log in to this site, did you click it instead of FB by accident? Lmfao
honestly I opened Chrome on my PC and saw FocusST.org in the recommended pages window and it reminded me to visit. I have adjusted my Tapatalk settings to be a little more alerting so we shall see

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
You are correct in thinking it will hold that pressure longer, but it will not hold it "the whole time." Our KO3 turbo simply doesn't have the ability to flow that much anywhere close to redline. Bob's car likely hits 22.5psi and tapers off to about 16psi by the time he is at 5000-5500rpm and anything beyond that RPM he's actually probably slowing himself down (which is why it is recommended you shift at ~5500 to put you at peak torque in the next gear).

If you tighten your WGA Bob could expect to see around 18psi at that same 5000-5500rpm and could theoretically carry it a little further until 5750-5850 before he is below 16psi and starts to feel lifeless. However when I stated you need to be tuned for it, I'm not just saying you need to have a tune on the car. I mean you need to inform your tuner that you made this adjustment to the actuator and have the tuner adjust your tune to take advantage of this. Otherwise, the tune/car won't know how to respond. On the stock tune, the car will likely think you are overboosting and will put you into limp mode with a CEL. @Duece McCracken may be able to speak to the advantages of adjusting your WGA as he was one of the pioneers who worked out and documented the process a while back. It's beneficial only if you are tuned appropriately...and can cause problems if you're not.

Me and Bob are wondering if his WGA is already tightened. Stock flash he sees 18-19 lbs and it drops to 15 up top. On the E30 he sees 22.5 lbs and it flattens out at 18 lbs. No CELs while stock.

Super Moderator
Me and Bob are wondering if his WGA is already tightened. Stock flash he sees 18-19 lbs and it drops to 15 up top. On the E30 he sees 22.5 lbs and it flattens out at 18 lbs. No CELs while stock.
Whats your elevation?

At sea level you should be seeing 25 psi on a tightened WGA and 14-ish at redline.

You can crawl under there and check as well.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts