Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Interesting issue on new 2016 focus ST i picked up at auction for cheap (was in a accident and has a lot of character).

Hood open on display; interesting... New hood switch latch; no problem... heh....

After looking at the hood latch; latch and switch are working fine; there is no wire / plug to be found anywhere. Anyone have a idea where this wire/plug comes form; what wiring harness it should be bundled in?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I dont have any of the wiring schematics or anything but here is where the plug should go:
Automotive lighting Building Font Rectangle Automotive design

#3 above
Runs towards the passenger headlight. Look from the left to right in the picture below, it also T's to that plug in the far right of the pic:

then they both join under the headlight into the same wiring bundle as the headlight:

I believe the function is hood closed, grounds the circuit and light turns off. Hood open is open circuit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome; very helpful.

Found the harness stuffed into bumper underneath the passenger headlight. Now to find out why (looks like it is currently stuck / blocked by washer tank as its literally jammed underneath).

Passenger headlight inside HID mount was broken (more scope creep). Freaking HID headlight assemblies are expensivvvveeee.

Washer pump dead also... (de dum de dum); dash info on washer tank empty (it's full).

Going guess it took a passenger side hit of some sort and got basic body shop repairs only.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It may be worth it if it was cheap enough. I'd worry about suspension damage, alignment, and making sure the car can be made to drive straight. These cars are relatively inexpensive to repair, but I've seen friends take chances on used BMW's from auctions, and as the saying goes- there's nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW...

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
- there's nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW...
Maybe a cheap Audi 😂

@zeros was there front end damage? I'm just going to assume they had things apart and then too lazy to put everything back together right and just sent it to auction. If no front end damage, maybe they had things apart from removing mods hastily. Could have had different headlights, hood..maybe even used the washer tank for meth 🤷🏻‍♂️ never really know without history.

Single used headlights can be found on eBay for deals sometimes...like ~200 each, still not cheap but way better than new from Ford. Also focus electric used similar hid's, more chrome vs black tho

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep; picked it up cheap at 6k at a copart auction, after fees and delivery looking at 8k'ish; has 50k miles on odometer; so have lots of room in budget.

Passenger side curtain and passenger seat airbag deployed; both seatbelts deployed (just repaired, srs cleared, belts repacked). Oddly no other airbags deployed (or were repaired before i got it).

Front end looks like it had some repairs of some type, guessing new bumper.

My guess is they started repairs and then ran out of patience/money/time; title/vin is clean (shrug); sure there is a story there.

Was able to glue the headlight internals with some JB epoxy (was like doing a ship in a bottle); no longer pointing straight down and the adjuster works again.

Coilovers and some perch camber/caster plates will be added next week; then into alignment. Currently it is definitely toe'd in and tracks all over the place; might just head over to rockauto and replace the majority of front end pieces.

·
Registered
2016 ST2
264 Posts
Yep; picked it up cheap at 6k at a copart auction, after fees and delivery looking at 8k'ish; has 50k miles on odometer; so have lots of room in budget.

Passenger side curtain and passenger seat airbag deployed; both seatbelts deployed (just repaired, srs cleared, belts repacked). Oddly no other airbags deployed (or were repaired before i got it).

Front end looks like it had some repairs of some type, guessing new bumper.

My guess is they started repairs and then ran out of patience/money/time; title/vin is clean (shrug); sure there is a story there.

Was able to glue the headlight internals with some JB epoxy (was like doing a ship in a bottle); no longer pointing straight down and the adjuster works again.

Coilovers and some perch camber/caster plates will be added next week; then into alignment. Currently it is definitely toe'd in and tracks all over the place; might just head over to rockauto and replace the majority of front end pieces.
LCA are ST specific. So be careful. I believe the ST geometry can only be had from Ford. Sites will list the LCA for standard Focii as fitting, and they do fit but the geometry/bushings is different.

I’ve found some to say just the bushings are different. But then there is an edmunds article about how the knuckle and control arms have changes from standard. So do some research first shrug 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: beretta96
1 - 7 of 7 Posts