Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if others are starting to see this problem. My 13 has about 90k on it now and starting to see evidence of some fairly significant rust issues along the seams at the end of the hood and spots on the hatch. This is pretty disappointing for a 5 year old car. My friend has a 14 with 36k and is already starting to see this as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
Weird. My 2012 SE had over 200k and five years of New England miles and had no rust issues when it got totaled (and I don't wash my cars often and in a cursory manner when I do). My Mazda3, OTOH, had that and worse going in less time with a lot less miles. Doubt that's much help, but that's my experience.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh no... It is the Expedition Rear Door paint issue all over again.

My old 2006 and current 2012 both have it because Ford can't into paint on Aluminum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The panel on the rear hatch rubs bad. If you take it off you'll see how terrible the design is. My guess is that's where the rust begins. The FoST has terrible exterior fit and finish :(

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cut my losses. Traded the car a week ago. I loved the car, but I refuse to deal with rust on a five year old car.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I cut my losses. Traded the car a week ago. I loved the car, but I refuse to deal with rust on a five year old car.

I'm thinking of doing the same. My car was painted 5 times in the first three years under warranty (as well as a lot of other cosmetic work). Two years since paint has rubbed off. Ford corporate won't help at all. I've done all I can to repair the issues, just gave it a full detail so it looks like new (if not better), and I'm gonna trade it in, but don't know what to get. Maybe an s2000 or Toyota 86. Rust aside, most of the exterior panels don't even like up correctly either. Absolutely disgusted. Never will I ever buy a Ford again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What did you end up trading it in for?

2017 WRX. Unfortunately the ST is very difficult car to trade if you want to stay in the same price range. The options on the ST are so damn good (Recaros, Sony 10 speaker, etc.)

Ultimately I bought the WRX for the drivetrain, which is simply amazing, but there are a lot of things I'm going to miss.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
2017 WRX. Unfortunately the ST is very difficult car to trade if you want to stay in the same price range. The options on the ST are so damn good (Recaros, Sony 10 speaker, etc.)

Ultimately I bought the WRX for the drivetrain, which is simply amazing, but there are a lot of things I'm going to miss.
The one thing I still get a thrill from is tossing it into a corner or intersection and pulling throttle and having the rear come around. Too fun, and the reason my tires only last 20k miles. I hope you have better luck with your new car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one thing I still get a thrill from is tossing it into a corner or intersection and pulling throttle and having the rear come around. Too fun, and the reason my tires only last 20k miles. I hope you have better luck with your new car.
That's the thing, not gonna do the my new car is the best and my ST sucked thing. The ST will remain one of the most well balanced car I've ever owned. My resale value was still really good and I had no idea what that rust was going to look like in another year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's the thing, not gonna do the my new car is the best and my ST sucked thing. The ST will remain one of the most well balanced car I've ever owned. My resale value was still really good and I had no idea what that rust was going to look like in another year.

What was your resale, if you don't mind me asking? I was offered $13,500 by two different dealers for a 2013 ST2 with 30k miles (Navi and Sony system options).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts