Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally joined the club a couple days ago, love the car, however I have a very annoying issue. My car randomly thinks my hood is ajar. I've gotten the warning a couple times driving where it pops up on dash for a split second. The bigger issue is this also randomly sets off my car alarm. Its going off 2-3 times in the middle of the night, and this does not make my apartment complex neighbors happy.

Anyone have this issue or know of a fix? I have an appointment later this week for the dealership to look at it. But my car is out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

Is there anyway for me to lock the doors and not arm the alarm? Pull a fuse, bridge connection, etc...?

I'm also assuming the alarm is going off because of the hood, but I cant be 100%. If someone else has other ideas, let me know please.

Thank you

·
Registered
477 Posts
Finally joined the club a couple days ago, love the car, however I have a very annoying issue. My car randomly thinks my hood is ajar. I've gotten the warning a couple times driving where it pops up on dash for a split second. The bigger issue is this also randomly sets off my car alarm. Its going off 2-3 times in the middle of the night, and this does not make my apartment complex neighbors happy.

Anyone have this issue or know of a fix? I have an appointment later this week for the dealership to look at it. But my car is out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

Is there anyway for me to lock the doors and not arm the alarm? Pull a fuse, bridge connection, etc...?

I'm also assuming the alarm is going off because of the hood, but I cant be 100%. If someone else has other ideas, let me know please.

Thank you
Welcome to the forum. The problem is probably with the sensor at the latch. Google it. Cleaning or replacing the sensor seems to be the fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I have looked into it a bit. I already attempted cleaning it with no success. I'm not sure what cleaning it even does as it appears to just be an on off pressure toggle switch.

The other option seems to be that I have to buy the entire hood latch assembly. I can't find just the little sensor attached to it.

In the mean time, do you have any knowledge on disabling the alarm, and locking the doors?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks, I have looked into it a bit. I already attempted cleaning it with no success. I'm not sure what cleaning it even does as it appears to just be an on off pressure toggle switch.

The other option seems to be that I have to buy the entire hood latch assembly. I can't find just the little sensor attached to it.

In the mean time, do you have any knowledge on disabling the alarm, and locking the doors?
Nope, sorry. I don't have any knowledge of that, and I doubt anyone here will give you advice on how to defeat the security system of their car. Taking it to the dealer is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The switch would either trigger from the connection(electrical) completing or breaking. Unplug the switch, so the connection is broken, if it does not trigger the light then leave it unplugged if it does then put a wire jumper in to complete the circuit and tape it up. Problem solved and just make sure you hood is closed completely from now on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The switch would either trigger from the connection(electrical) completing or breaking. Unplug the switch, so the connection is broken, if it does not trigger the light then leave it unplugged if it does then put a wire jumper in to complete the circuit and tape it up. Problem solved and just make sure you hood is closed completely from now on.
2014 SE 5-door...had to replace the switch two years ago at the dealer (close to $300), and now 2 yrs later, it went bad again. Fortunately I saw Jamie's post and just put a jumper on it this time...what a PITA!

·
Registered
559 Posts
2014 SE 5-door...had to replace the switch two years ago at the dealer (close to $300), and now 2 yrs later, it went bad again. Fortunately I saw Jamie's post and just put a jumper on it this time...what a PITA!
Glad it worked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,

sorry for hijacking this thread.

My car did not come with a hood sensor, however I bought a hood lock with the sensor on it (identical to these here).

Since I am from EU (Greece), I am not sure if we use the same sensor as in the USA.
If you have the same sensor, is it possible for someone to let me know the connector's part number (or maybe the harness' part number), in order to be able to connect the sensor with my alarm?

Thanks,
Theo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Mudder, has this help up since you bridged it?? had this happen like 5 times in the last week.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can any1 chime in on this? **** keeps happening to me after it rains or heavy winds. Does Jumping the connector seem to be a perm fix?

·
Registered
53 Posts
**UPDATE** It's been several weeks now and the alarm has not gone off at 3am. All i did was order a new hood latch assembly on amazon for $35, free next day shipping, took less then 5 minutes to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you
lock your door with your key... that’s the only way to stop your alarm from going off. DO NOT USE THE LOCK SWITCH OR ALARM BUTTON

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
lock your door with your key... that’s the only way to stop your alarm from going off. DO NOT USE THE LOCK SWITCH OR ALARM BUTTON
Or he can just replace the hood switch/adjust the hood bump stops.

3 month's stale, this thread was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is currently happening to me until I can pay to get it fixed does locking the door with my key really work??

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
This is currently happening to me until I can pay to get it fixed does locking the door with my key really work??
if only there was a way to find out ;)

Try and see if it works for you, better than not doing anything until you can get a new part
. Or try this method:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts