Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car as a daily driver for my lengthy commute. If your looking to buy a "fast" car spend your 20K elsewhere.
That being said it's easy to just crunch the numbers and find the best bang for your buck. Heck, 20K will get you a C5 Z06, Coyote 5.0, Camaro SS, ect.
Unfortunately life gets in the way sometimes and things like gas mileage, 4 doors, car seats, and room to go grocery shopping become important factors in choosing a car.
I'll start with the bad?
There are way too many flat spots in every gear. Ford did a terrible job on either the drive by wire or mapping from the factory. From what I've read a stage 1 tune corrects that problem.
Build quality is a joke but the drivetrain and chassis seem legit.
The good?
It's fun. The little hot hatch is just plain old fun to drive.
Sticks like glue in the twisties "Eagle F1s" summer tires.
Stock brakes are actually VERY good. Most switch to Hawk pads.
The little K03 turbo does its job well.
For 22K out the door it's a deal.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
761 Posts
Looks like you got a deal for 22k OTD
Here in cali I paid 26k OTD for an St3. The car is worth every dollar imo. As you said life gets in the way but this car makes it better.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ehhhh, I'm almost polar opposite, except the end result.

The K03 makes for a punchy ride, but definitely doesn't do very well in stock form. Tuckers out WAY early just when things start to get fun in the rev range.

Build quality of my ST3 feels good. It's definitely better than many of the asian imports I've driven lately, leagues ahead of other domestics. Some of the panel gap quirks on the outside of the car are annoying but if you look at the engineering behind how it fits together, it's kind of required. (Hood, door to fender alignment, most notably)

For 17k+TTL for a 26k mile '14 ST3 with only about 3 dings I can find, I'm really pleased with this car.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Coming for a Hyundai Veloster Turbo I can def comment on the build quality is far superior on my FoST. No annoying squeaks and rattles. Not as much plastic and simple things like the leather wrapped steering wheel is far superior.

Reactions: Sbnmatthew

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
If I had the option to go back to do it all over again, I don't think I would re-purchase the ST. Thats my honest opinion.
there is a for sale section or craigslist ;) never to late to move on

Even today I don't see a car that compares to the FoST in the segment. cost vs performance. name a car and enlighten us.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
There was literally nothing else I was considering. Anything else comparable was either too expensive or too ugly and in many cases both!
yup exactly!... again I would love to hear other suggestions. Ford hasn't made a perfect car, but they made a car that doesn't compare to anything either, be grateful they are even providing a Performance based car in this arena. Look at what Dodge and Chevy are doing, big american muscle... don't want, don't care. I need 4 doors, the Chevy Cruze hatch is a joke and has no performance to even speak of and if you wanted to it would be VERY hard to make it a performance car.
Stock for stock the FoST just doesn't compare, to anything

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not sure how to take your review, OP.

My personal review is that this car is the exact car that I've ever wanted a hot hatch to be. It is just raw in every sense of the drive. It handles great if not better than most of the cars on the road especially considering it has FWD. Things like the tranny could have been slightly improved like the aftermarket has done (synchros), panel fitment (wtf Furd), leg room in the back for passengers and the ridiculously small gas tank. Back to the good..... The fact the car is speed density tuned, makes it easy to mod especially if you want to keep the stock tune. I mean you won't capitalize on the mods 100%, but you'll get something out of it. Comes with Recaros straight off the bat (option, but you get the point). Fairly cheap, especially CPO. I really enjoy the styling of the car right down to the stock rims. It's a pretty aggressive looking hatch, something the GTI lacks, but the STI from about 2010-2013 had, but more expensive.

Yea the gas mileage sucks, but you are not getting 270ft lbs of torque and 250hp for nothing out of 2.0l I4. So I accept the fac that I need to fill up more often, but I sure as hell can keep up with if not pass alot of people in the twisties or even the straights.

·
Registered
744 Posts
When I was negotiating on my 2013 ST3, I was also trying to negotiate a different dealer for a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Ended up walking with my FoST for $16k with 40k miles. If I could've negotiated the G8 GT down to $16k (it had 55k miles) I absolutely would've taken it over the FoST but that's just my love for V8 sedans. If I had the opportunity to go back, I probably would've waited and gotten the G8.

That being said, I don't regret my choice. The FoST has everything I was looking for including navigation (which the G8 doesn't have) and I'm pleased with it. Sure, it has its quirks like any car but it's a terrific deal. I disagree on a lot of OP's points... while the term 'fast' is subjective, even the stock FoST isn't slow. Dump the few grand it takes to go Stage 3 (AP/tune, downpipe, RMM, FMIC) and you have a fun little car that will easily overtake 80% of the general cars on the highway and 85% of them if the highway is curvy. :wink:

But if you bought purely for performance, yes, you chose the wrong car. Should've gotten a RS, WRX/STi, or some other similar car with AWD or RWD. I also heavily disagree with the build quality remark. While the FoST is still an economy car and will not compete with cars twice its price, it's easily one of the best in this category. It easily beats the interior of a WRX or EVO X. It's similar enough to the GTI's build quality that it's down to personal preference. I don't know, I love it. It has nice materials where my hands go and cheap plastic where they don't go like the very back of the dashboard.

Honestly, if you're not looking for pure performance and you don't end up with a lemon, I feel like the FoST is a very hard car to be disappointed with. The ST1-3 packages offer very solid options and price points and the factory 252/270 are definitely not bad.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
761 Posts
I laugh anytime people complain about economy. I'm getting solid 32-35mpg commuting.
Becuase you aren't enjoying it like the rest of us and we laugh :p
Not saying those MPGs are not possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
But if you bought purely for performance, yes, you chose the wrong car. Should've gotten a RS, WRX/STi, or some other similar car with AWD or RWD.
You cannot compare the ST to an RS or an STI. LOL plain and simple. Total different animals. Pound for pound, the little ST is great for what it is.

It's like comparing a mustang GT to a Shelby mustang.

Total different price ranges as well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If I had the option to go back to do it all over again, I don't think I would re-purchase the ST. Thats my honest opinion.
Out of curiosity, for a similar price, what would you get instead? I think if I bought a new car now, I'd probably get the new SI and leave it stock. Tuning and modding the ST was an awesome experience but I don't really utilize the extra power and the anxiety of something breaking is a little draining. Plus, the modern features of the SI would be nice.

Reactions: Unfitproduct
1 - 20 of 79 Posts