Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for anyone who's retrofitted a homelink module into their sunvisor to lend me a hand in doing the same. I've searched through the forums and found some related threads, but nothing with a detailed step by step on how to retrofit a homelink module into our sunvisors. I've seen the threads about installing a new homelink autodimming mirror, a thread about putting it in the headliner, a thread about putting it in the Sync microphone unit, a thread about taking a 2012 visor and dying it black. Forget all that. I want to know how to put a module into our visors for a seamless OEM look.

I've already ordered a Homelink module and a spare sun visor off of ebay so I just may have to take the plunge here, but if anyone else can give me some words of wisdom, that'd be much appreciated.

I'm going off of this thread on the F-150 forum as reference:

https://www.raptorforumz.com/threads/homelink-garage-opener-step-by-step-install-2011-screw.13814/

Obviously, we have some key differences. Our visors are vinyl, so how am I supposed to get inside of the cover if i can't cut open the stitching? What about the cutout? Do our visors have the cutout in place so we can just open it up and drop the module in?

Looking forward to hearing your responses!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
X2 on the mirror! Plus you get auto dimming and with a blendmount you can mount a radar detector and power it right there I have the Gentex edgeless mirror looks so clean! @TheSlacker has a great set up too. I'll try to throw some pictures up tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This thread is going in a different direction than i had hoped lol

I'm pretty set on the visor setup, and i've already ordered the parts like I've said, so I'll try that route first. If it doesnt work then I may revisit the headliner install or the mirror.

In the meantime, still looking for anyone who has already gone down this path to come forward and lead the way for me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone ever bite the bullet on this? I'm wanting to do the same exact thing as OP, in my wife's car, and would like to know if anyone cut into the vinyl visor to see if we have the cut out? I assume I could use some epoxy or super glue to seal back up the vinyl and if I cut nicely along the seam it shouldn't be noticeable.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have installed one in my visor. I’ll get some pics tomorrow if I can remember. It was pretty simple. The oval punchout is already there all you have to do is push in and break the little clips that hold it. Then you separate the visor body by removing the vanity mirror and using s trim tool pry the visor open enough to slip the bare homelink into the square cavity inside the visor. Cut a small oval into the vinyl and install the rubber buttons and finish plate. I just wired mine to the vanity lamps.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
My big concern, I recall doing this on my last car; but I don't always park in the garage, and I look at this as a security concern. Bust window, and bam, access to my garage.
@1LoudST - I like it!

·
Registered
439 Posts
My big concern, I recall doing this on my last car; but I don't always park in the garage, and I look at this as a security concern. Bust window, and bam, access to my garage.
@1LoudST - I like it!
They could do the same thing with a regular garage door opener by breaking your window and using the actual opener instead of the Homelink opener.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Luckily, with the black interior and slightly tinted windows, they would never be able to see it by just looking I to the windows so they would never know it was there.

Also while I almost always park in the garage, if my car just happens to not be in the garage (detached, single car) the only thing they would get access to would be an empty garage with 3 empty propane cylinders, 2 full(ish) jugs of washer fluid and probably about 7 or 8 gallon jugs of used oil.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
For this reason, I don't use a remote opener. I just use the keypad outside the garage.
Ultimately, it is just keeps the "honest" thieves out. Same with my gun safe - if they are determined, they will either find a way into it or take the entire safe to get into it at their convenience.

Not saying that the way you do it is wrong (far from it, and hopefully it isn't coming across that way), but it all depends on where you live, your risk comfort level, etc. My wife's cars (mine have been parked in the garage) have sat in the driveway the past 7 years and haven't had someone bust out the window to get in the garage. If they are determined enough to get in, they will. A guy at work went on a business trip one time and came back home to find that they had opened his garage door (the only opener was in his car at the airport several hours away from his house and it never left his car) and stolen a bunch of things out of his house. It's also apparently not that hard to pop open a garage door if extra measures aren't taken (I think I might put a zip-tie through mine when I get home).

https://lifehacker.com/5549366/how-to-unlock-your-garage-door-from-the-outside-and-how-to-prevent-it

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have installed one in my visor. I’ll get some pics tomorrow if I can remember. It was pretty simple. The oval punchout is already there all you have to do is push in and break the little clips that hold it. Then you separate the visor body by removing the vanity mirror and using s trim tool pry the visor open enough to slip the bare homelink into the square cavity inside the visor. Cut a small oval into the vinyl and install the rubber buttons and finish plate. I just wired mine to the vanity lamps.
where did you buy the module from? I'd rather not use interior dye

·
Registered
185 Posts
where did you buy the module from? I'd rather not use interior dye
I bought mine from eBay. Rolling code homelink. Search for a black one. That’s all I did. I think this one came from an f250. I used my own visor and a black unit. I didn’t want to dye anything either. The black ones are a bit more expensive than the beige or gray ones though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
@1LoudST - I like it!
If you use the vanity lamps for power like i did, the power times out and the relay doesn’t wake back up until you are in the car with the key.

·
Registered
213 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts