Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been adding much more upgrades to the car than what I thought that I would be doing, but I just installed the Cobb rear motor mount and that one upgrade caught me by surprise. First thing I noticed is the vibration. You feel the motor almost mounted to the seat. It's strange at first. The second thing I noticed is that the motor mount is the best quality control for shifting. If you don't give it the right RPMs, the car will REALLY vibrate. If you are bogging down the engine by being in too high of a gear going up a hill, it will let you know. These aren't bad things. It has already told me how much feedback I have been missing from this car without a proper motor mount. I also noticed that the wheel hop is gone. Granted, it is rainy since I have installed it, but I could still get the wheels to hop in the rain before. Now, it just spins. It really feels like the car is connected to the ground just that much more. Every upgrade that I have done over the past week has complimented each other.

The first upgrade I did last week was the Breedt Quick Shift Arm. I chose position 2 on the arm, which is the 39% reduction with 25mm movement forward of stock position. It is so much easier to shift now. Then, I added the AP3 Stage 1 93 Octane tune. The car is more spry and agile now. Roll it all up with the motor mount tonight, and everything just got WAY easier and quicker.

I still can't wait for warm and dry weather to see how my Super Sport tires bring the whole package together.

·
Registered
2014 MK3 FoST MRX EFR Turbo Tangerine Scream (German Built)
313 Posts
I had the Cobb first and later changed to Mountune RMM. With the Mountune It breaks in nicely after a couple hundred miles. You get all benefits you mentioned minus the vibration. NVH levels are minimal only slight noticible with A/C on.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The cobb is hands down the worst product out there. I have never read a good thing about it, and almost weekly I post this same comment I am posting now about how it sucks. Do people just completely ignore the search function and HUGE motor mount thread?

Here's a TLDR on the RMM thread: CP-E- best two piece, maybe best overall. Boomba-good, but has more vibes than CP-E. Cobb- Vibes everywhere, everyone hates it but does do it's job. Mountune- Best for improvement if you aren't auto-xing or tracking the car, very minimal if any vibes. E-focus: upgraded on all new ones from Ford, on older cars could make a difference but might as well use the mountune.

·
Registered
660 Posts
So, I have been adding much more upgrades to the car than what I thought that I would be doing, but I just installed the Cobb rear motor mount and that one upgrade caught me by surprise. First thing I noticed is the vibration. You feel the motor almost mounted to the seat. It's strange at first. The second thing I noticed is that the motor mount is the best quality control for shifting. If you don't give it the right RPMs, the car will REALLY vibrate. If you are bogging down the engine by being in too high of a gear going up a hill, it will let you know. These aren't bad things. It has already told me how much feedback I have been missing from this car without a proper motor mount. I also noticed that the wheel hop is gone. Granted, it is rainy since I have installed it, but I could still get the wheels to hop in the rain before. Now, it just spins. It really feels like the car is connected to the ground just that much more. Every upgrade that I have done over the past week has complimented each other.

The first upgrade I did last week was the Breedt Quick Shift Arm. I chose position 2 on the arm, which is the 39% reduction with 25mm movement forward of stock position. It is so much easier to shift now. Then, I added the AP3 Stage 1 93 Octane tune. The car is more spry and agile now. Roll it all up with the motor mount tonight, and everything just got WAY easier and quicker.

I still can't wait for warm and dry weather to see how my Super Sport tires bring the whole package together.
The Cobb with break in after a few thousand miles. I only notice mine at low RPM's. Also, get a front traction bar from TB Performance or FSWerks and it will help reduce some of those vibrations as well.

Reactions: aratic

·
Registered
28 Posts
I received my Cobb rear motor mount from a friend who gifted it to me after trading in his Mazdaspeed 3. He had it installed for several thousands of miles and I noticed very little vibration (only vibration I noticed at all was at idle with the AC running).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Glad to see you are happy with it! I loved mine at first huge improvement over stock. But I took it to the drag strip and wheel hop was still very bad, ended up buying CP-e mounts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
RickC and Jam360nml are bang on, the Cobb does take a few thousand miles to settle in. I barely notice mine now except with the ac on there is a little vibration but otherwise nothing significant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't mind the vibration. The more feedback I can get from a car, the more comfortable I am with it. I drove a Tesla P85D and my only complaint that I could must about the car is that you can't really get a feedback from the car. It is the type of car that will either do what you want it to do or fail miserably. Anyways, with this motor mount, I get the feedback that I want. I do tend to AutoX as much as I can. This is why I had to replace the tires and brakes at 25,000 miles, with both begging to be replaced. I'm sure that it will settle down a bit as it is brand new, but I don't think that it is terrible like some suggest.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
The cobb is hands down the worst product out there. I have never read a good thing about it, and almost weekly I post this same comment I am posting now about how it sucks. Do people just completely ignore the search function and HUGE motor mount thread?
I like my Cobb so far. Got it used with my AP3 from a guy who moved up to an RS, so it was already more or less broken in. Driven nearly 1500 miles on it so far and I really don't notice it apart from cold starts (for a minute or two until the oil pressure drops) and when I accidentally bog the car. Had the AC on today since it was 80 degrees and didn't notice any difference versus having it off.

If I was buying new, I'd probably go with the Mountune. But I got the Cobb essentially for free and I'm happy enough with it that I don't see myself swapping mounts any time soon.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My Cobb mount broke in like in a month, eventually you will get almost no vibes except for some very minor ones when the AC is on.

I should have stayed there but I wanted more "performance", so I went and got the TTR engine and transmission mounts and holy cow the thing rattled like crazy. After some time they break in too but youll have to live with some serious vibes in many situations, besides, all those vibes from the break in period will loosen stuff in the cabin and youll have constant rattles forever. If i had the chance again Id just install the rear mount and be done with it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Cobb mount broke in like in a month, eventually you will get almost no vibes except for some very minor ones when the AC is on.

I should have stayed there but I wanted more "performance", so I went and got the TTR engine and transmission mounts and holy cow the thing rattled like crazy. After some time they break in too but youll have to live with some serious vibes in many situations, besides, all those vibes from the break in period will loosen stuff in the cabin and youll have constant rattles forever. If i had the chance again Id just install the rear mount and be done with it.
Exactly why I'm sticking with only the rear motor mount. For me, I'm only fixing what Ford got wrong with this car, then a slight upgrade. This is to maintain a highly functional DD while still getting plenty of fun doing AutoX and such on the cheap.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I have the CPE Stage 2 and the vibration was a huge difference but as you learn to drive with them and give it enough gas you'll forget all about it. You really notice the help when you launch the car though. Much less wheel hop. Hold in there through the break in period

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm brand new to this Forum and brand new to Ford Focus ST modifications.

I purchased the Mountune Rear Motor Mount for my Focus ST 2013 and had it installed by the Ford dealership. I've seen videos of the installation and they always say to install the mount with the logo facing down. Since I wasn't there during the installation, i'm not 100% sure this was done correctly. I was assured their most experienced guy did it, but the amount of vibration i'm experiencing going from a full stop to 1st gear, is beyond anything i've ever experienced or read about, and seems quite excessive. To the point that I can visibly see the hood of the car shake.

Can anyone else who has had the Mountune RMM installed correctly provide feedback on if this is normal or not? It's not too bad in idle or shifting into 3rd - 6th gear. But when you slowly let out on the clutch and let the car start moving forward and give it gas, the whole car seems to rattle for a little bit. I haven't found anyone comment on behavior on the interwebs yet so I have nothing to go by other than pose the question in this forum to get some feedback.

Maybe this is normal? Maybe not? Maybe I need to let it break in? Maybe it was installed upside down? Maybe the torque on the screws are too tight?... I don't know. Any thoughts or guidance will be appreciated.

Based on the information here, has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hello,

I purchased the Mountune Rear Motor Mount for my Focus ST 2013 and had it installed by the Ford dealership. I've seen videos of the installation and they always say to install the mount with the logo facing down. Since I wasn't there during the installation, i'm not 100% sure this was done correctly. I was assured their most experienced guy did it, but the amount of vibration i'm experiencing going from a full stop to 1st gear, is beyond anything i've ever experienced or read about, and seems quite excessive. To the point that I can visibly see the hood of the car shake.

Can anyone else who has had the Mountune RMM installed correctly provide feedback on if this is normal or not? It's not too bad in idle or shifting into 3rd - 6th gear. But when you slowly let out on the clutch and let the car start moving forward and give it gas, the whole car seems to rattle for a little bit. I haven't found anyone comment on behavior on the interwebs yet so I have nothing to go by other than pose the question in this forum to get some feedback.

Maybe this is normal? Maybe not? Maybe I need to let it break in? Maybe it was installed upside down? Maybe the torque on the screws are too tight?... I don't know. Any thoughts or guidance will be appreciated.

I had the Boomba RMM then switched to Mountune. The difference is night and day.
Boomba does the job well, and did 'break-in' after a few thousand miles, but too many vibes at idle, worse with the AC on.
Mountune is much better in the vibes area,out-of-the-box, zero break-in needed, but seemed to have (slightly) less control than the Boomba.

That being said, It could be torqued too tight, (or loose) or it could be up-side down. I've read on this forum before that could be the case.
Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Vibes are also relative.

Your perception of bad vibes and mine could be different. Shoot go ride in someone like @Duece McCracken 's car and tell me about vibrations hahaha

Boomba has a noticeable break in for sure, as well as Cobb which is what I have installed (previous owner) and I'd be surprised of Mountune didn't need at least a LITTLE bit of break in...that's just the nature of the product. I may be totally wrong though.

If it was torqued down too tight it would definitely shake more than normal. It sounds like it's pretty damn drastic though lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah my Mountune mount took a few weeks to break in and when it gets really cold it’s can still vibe a little in first but it does smooth out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hello,

I’ve seen videos about the Mountune mount being installed upside down. They don’t include instructions with the part so it’s up to the installer to look it up. When I installed mine, I made sure to install it with the logo facing down and torquing the bolts to spec. A dealership mechanic take the old one out and slap the new one in. They will most likely over tighten the bolts. Even with the A/C on, the vibration is minimal. Definitely no hood shaking going on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I put the Damond mount on my which I think (think based on design, but not tested, yet) already seems like it's more solid than most, as well as a Powerflex Black series race bushing on the back half of the mount and boy have I got some vibes now! It's been a week and a half and about 500 miles, but it's pretty strong. May have to drop from the 95A race bushing to the 80A street bushing. It's definitely gotten better over the week though. I can't imagine there are too many stiffer options than what I have set up right now until you start doing the rest of the motor mounts.
@brian60 is right though. It's all relative. My car has dramatically more NVH now, but it's not that awful coming from my last couple of Mustangs. This car felt like a granny car from the factory anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I put the Damond mount on my which I think (think based on design, but not tested, yet) already seems like it's more solid than most, as well as a Powerflex Black series race bushing on the back half of the mount and boy have I got some vibes now! It's been a week and a half and about 500 miles, but it's pretty strong. May have to drop from the 95A race bushing to the 80A street bushing. It's definitely gotten better over the week though. I can't imagine there are too many stiffer options than what I have set up right now until you start doing the rest of the motor mounts.
@brian60 is right though. It's all relative. My car has dramatically more NVH now, but it's not that awful coming from my last couple of Mustangs. This car felt like a granny car from the factory anyway.
This is the smoothest car I've ever owned or driven by FAR and the interior rattles people complain of with loud music and stuff don't bother me even slightly due to how quiet it is compared to what I've had prior...but people who come from unmodified Audi's (I hate German cars...but they do the interior better than anyone) and stuff get in and they are like man this thing is unforgiving. Every time I get a comment like that I'm like...really...THIS is unforgiving??

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is the smoothest car I've ever owned or driven by FAR and the interior rattles people complain of with loud music and stuff don't bother me even slightly due to how quiet it is compared to what I've had prior...but people who come from unmodified Audi's (I hate German cars...but they do the interior better than anyone) and stuff get in and they are like man this thing is unforgiving. Every time I get a comment like that I'm like...really...THIS is unforgiving??
Yup, same here. My ST is smooth and quiet compared to my old heads/cammed LT1 Camaro with full suspension, and full bolt on LS1 Camaro running lowering springs LOL

My Lincoln Mark VIII was my most comfortable, quietest car I've owned a though

1 - 20 of 32 Posts