Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an HKS SSQV BOV on the cold side via JBR Ford Focus St HKS Cold Side kit. None of it was easy, especially trying to install the snap ring on the HKS BOV. But once I installed it, I found that the sound of it to be underwhelming. I could hear my Boomba BOV from inside the cabin much louder, but I assume this may be due to the fabric underneath the hood that could be hindering the sound.

• I've read that attaching the vacuum hose directly from the HKS BOV to the solenoid under the cover on top of the engine could help give the BOV more sound instead of using the stock line from the old bypass valve. Is this true? Will anything become damaged if I go directly to the solenoid instead of using the stock line from the solenoid?
  • I've read that hte silver insert is the default, the purple insert has a lower pitch, and the gold insert has a higher pitch than the silver, is this true? I can't find really any videos with only a gold insert installed.
  • And is there a way to have the BOV be more easily engaged? I found that I'm experiencing more turbo flutter as it's not as easy for the HKS BOV to engage, I assume because it's on the cold side and I didn't see an adjustment nut of any kind to adjust the tension. I recently had Torrie revise a tune since I added a Depo hot side charging pipe and IC, not sure what impact that had.

I'd also like to mention I bought this from a reputable dealer and I've made sure it's an authentic HKS BOV (the holographic HKS on the back is present as well). Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Dont use the facory vac setup, you want that on a direct vac source from the manifold. Most people use the symposer delete as a vac source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont use the facory vac setup, you want that on a direct vac source from the manifold. Most people use the symposer delete as a vac source

I haven't heard of that method before. Sounds viable if more people are opting for that instead of going straight from the solenoid instead or using the factory vacuum set up, but what would be the difference using the sound symposer as a source versus straight from the solenoid where the factory vacuum originated?

·
Vendor
104 Posts
I haven't heard of that method before. Sounds viable if more people are opting for that instead of going straight from the solenoid instead or using the factory vacuum set up, but what would be the difference using the sound symposer as a source versus straight from the solenoid where the factory vacuum originated?
Mainly because its not waiting on a solenoid to let it vent boost when you give it a direct vac/boost source

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have mine hooked up straight to the manifold. It vents very responsively. I'd also consider it to be a relatively quiet valve.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the sound symposer delete with the vacuum tube, should be here on Friday. Where do you normally get the longer silicone vacuum tubing from? Would O'Reilly's or NAPA have these in stock?

·
Vendor
104 Posts
I ordered the sound symposer delete with the vacuum tube, should be here on Friday. Where do you normally get the longer silicone vacuum tubing from? Would O'Reilly's or NAPA have these in stock?
Yup, most auto stores have vac hoses

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered a Steeda sound symposer with boost port and should be here Friday. As for the vacuum tube, was it tricky to run it away from the moving belts? I'm afraid if I run too much line, it'll diminish the positive effects of the vacuum source. I'm hoping this will give the HKS BOV a more pronounced sound and actually become active more often.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So the sound symposer delete with the vacuum nipple came in today, a day early. I got it installed, ran it to the BOV and it's much more reactive now; amazing how the vacuum source can make a difference. I wish it were louder though, I want to install one of the HKS inserts to help with that but there are barely any videos for the gold insert and not too many of the purple for a Focus ST. Does anyone have any experience about the sound between the two inserts?

Also, did I need to do anything with the vacuum filter that came with my HKS BOV?:
hksvacuumfilter.PNG

·
Registered
737 Posts
So the sound symposer delete with the vacuum nipple came in today, a day early. I got it installed, ran it to the BOV and it's much more reactive now; amazing how the vacuum source can make a difference. I wish it were louder though, I want to install one of the HKS inserts to help with that but there are barely any videos for the gold insert and not too many of the purple for a Focus ST. Does anyone have any experience about the sound between the two inserts?
Video of what it sounds like now? Sounds weird but if its quiet then its for me. I HATE the BOV options that bolt on to the turbo, one they go off way to much, and two they are extremely loud. I just want something kinda noticable and HKS is my fav.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Video of what it sounds like now? Sounds weird but if its quiet then its for me. I HATE the BOV options that bolt on to the turbo, one they go off way to much, and two they are extremely loud. I just want something kinda noticable and HKS is my fav.
I'll work on getting a vid up

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I may install a purple or gold insert, just trying to decide what kind of sound difference I would get.

·
Registered
737 Posts

I may install a purple or gold insert, just trying to decide what kind of sound difference I would get.
Yeah wow that thing is pretty quiet. Try a different insert for sure!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I ordered a Steeda sound symposer with boost port and should be here Friday. As for the vacuum tube, was it tricky to run it away from the moving belts? I'm afraid if I run too much line, it'll diminish the positive effects of the vacuum source. I'm hoping this will give the HKS BOV a more pronounced sound and actually become active more often.
I was thinking about using the CPE MAPtap for my BOV.

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts
Does anyone have a video or picture of there setup in the engine bay? Really want to do this but don’t know how to set up
We normally run a charge pipe with the appropriate bov flange, then pull vacuum/boost via a sound symposer delete with port. The stock BPV is removed and blocked off. As is the BPV control vacuum line.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts