Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Hitch + Trailer= Happy me

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ddfred 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum but have had my 2014 OW FoST for a few months now, within that time I decided I wanted to be able to tow my motorcycle around with me when I go on longs trips and need the cargo room that my motorcycle does not allow. So here's my setup, Curt (ST Version) hitch which hides away, curt plug and play trailer wiring harness (Focus Specific), Harbor freight 1725 Lb. capacity 4' x 8' trailer, 3/4 inch treated plywood flooring, and a custom wheel chock to keep my front wheel from moving around. For anyone who was contemplating doing the hitch and this trailer I can answer any questions!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Ford

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Tire Automotive tire

Vehicle Floor Auto part Table Flooring

Wood Hardwood Table Furniture Machine

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Alloy wheel

Vehicle Car Grass Mid-size car Lawn

See less See more
#4 ·
I got a curt receiver and had it cut and re-welded before they actually offered one for the ST, and it works similar to this factory Curt setup. It pulls extremely well and acts like it was made for towing. I have a 5X8 trailer on which I added a 3/4" plywood floor and 1/2" sides and in which I have hauled gravel, dirt, mulch, appliances, and Christmas trees. I also have a cargo rack I have used to haul a bicycle and smaller items for which I don't want to haul a trailer. Face it, our car has the power and the brakes to handle it. I'll have to admit I have hauled too much weight at times. The max load on the trailer is 2000 lbs and I have had the tires rubbing on the fenders, so I have probably pulled that much.

#5 ·
I envy your ability to just simply do things. Yea you know its not perfect, but that does not stop you. Meanwhile I spend my life worrying about the stupidest things.

I also plan to haul a trailer/motorcycle like OP, & possibly ultra light 12 ft camper (not at same time haha). Have not done it yet.

Also I did not know the Curt hitch was hidden! Is that new?

#9 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum but have had my 2014 OW FoST for a few months now, within that time I decided I wanted to be able to tow my motorcycle around with me when I go on longs trips and need the cargo room that my motorcycle does not allow. So here's my setup, Curt (ST Version) hitch which hides away, curt plug and play trailer wiring harness (Focus Specific), Harbor freight 1725 Lb. capacity 4' x 8' trailer, 3/4 inch treated plywood flooring, and a custom wheel chock to keep my front wheel from moving around. For anyone who was contemplating doing the hitch and this trailer I can answer any questions!

View attachment 269977
View attachment 269985
View attachment 269993
View attachment 270001
View attachment 270009
View attachment 270017
How did you run power to get brake lights..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.