Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Mexico, I raced a friend and lost bad. I shift at around 6k rpm and i have the depo 3.5 fmi, straight pipe, and tuned on stratified on 93. The other mods don’t gain much, like the bov which is nothing and the green filter. It was a 50 roll and I started in 3rd and when we started we were side by side, then into 4th he was pulling. The cars I was up against was a 200hp mini and a 6sp maxima. It blows my mind how I got the lengths on me. Any mods I can do the high end without big turbo? I was thinking of starting in 4th would of made a difference but idk

·
Registered
195 Posts
I shift at around 5500 to 5800rpm. Not worth revving out this engine stock.

Also, i don't flatout FoT until i reach about 28-3000 rpm.
I usually either brakeboost around 2500rpm or i increase my throttle gradually from 2500 until my foot is flat out at around 3k.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooo good info. Its so werid not reving out but 5500-5800 seems to be the butterzone. My datalogs say i make full power under 4500 rpm.and why gradually? What gear would you start in a 50 roll and a 70 roll?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shift at around 5500 to 5800rpm. Not worth revving out this engine stock.

Also, i don't flatout FoT until i reach about 28-3000 rpm.
I usually either brakeboost around 2500rpm or i increase my throttle gradually from 2500 until my foot is flat out at around 3k.

oooo good info. Its so werid not reving out but 5500-5800 seems to be the butterzone. My datalogs say i make full power under 4500 rpm.and why gradually? What gear would you start in a 50 roll and a 70 roll?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Maybe they were tuned and they didn't tell you .. LOL

Race starting from 3rd gear and then WOT in 4th gear .. nice work !

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm mostly just concerned with lspi, seeing a lot of subie guys having ringland failure and all, lol. Idk, maybe I'm just superstitious, but i never floor it under 2500.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm mostly just concerned with lspi, seeing a lot of subie guys having ringland failure and all, lol. Idk, maybe I'm just superstitious, but i never floor it under 2500.

Im really concerned about lspi, i always floor it above 2500. I drive the car like a 5 speed too. Because of the lspi concern haha. I only use 6th with cruise controll and try and stay out of boost

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe they were tuned and they didn't tell you .. LOL

Race starting from 3rd gear and then WOT in 4th gear .. nice work !
haha the mini was fully gutted and the max has mods that help in high rpm range, i shift at 6k while they rev out to 7k. haha, im starting to belive these cars like dig races better than roll. The only way to go faster in the highend is a big turbo it seems like since out small turbos runout of breath. I heard a downpipe helps in the high end too. Makes me want a dyno tune haha.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I took a tuned and bolted mini John Cooper works... So it seems like you'd be able to pull on them. Granted he was surprised I took him... So maybe I'm blessed with one of those freak engines. ( My most shocking pull was against a 335i performance edition... ).
I haven't run a GT, but a fully bolted and tuned v6 and Ecoboost mustang were taken... It sure seems like you should beat the mini and Maxima.
(All cars were a roll from about 20 or so except the mini, which was from a dig).
I'm Stratified ots tuned fully bolted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I took a tuned and bolted mini John Cooper works... So it seems like you'd be able to pull on them. Granted he was surprised I took him... So maybe I'm blessed with one of those freak engines. ( My most shocking pull was against a 335i performance edition... ).
I haven't run a GT, but a fully bolted and tuned v6 and Ecoboost mustang were taken... It sure seems like you should beat the mini and Maxima.
(All cars were a roll from about 20 or so except the mini, which was from a dig).
I'm Stratified ots tuned fully bolted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Im almost fully bolted, i need a downpipe and intake tubing then i will be. And yeah a 20 roll i should be able to run them. But weve been doing 50-70 rolls and hit about 120-130 ish when we end. The maxima is pretty quick. Its basicly a 350z thats front wheel drive. Its the 6speed which you dont see often. I feel like from a dig i would be able to get them. But from a really high roll, not too sure haha. Also tuned with statifed ots. From a dig or a 20 roll, we would be able to use all that extra tq we gained from tunning but at a 70 roll its all hp and turbo and hopes and dreams.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Im almost fully bolted, i need a downpipe and intake tubing then i will be. And yeah a 20 roll i should be able to run them. But weve been doing 50-70 rolls and hit about 120-130 ish when we end. The maxima is pretty quick. Its basicly a 350z thats front wheel drive. Its the 6speed which you dont see often. I feel like from a dig i would be able to get them. But from a really high roll, not too sure haha. Also tuned with statifed ots. From a dig or a 20 roll, we would be able to use all that extra tq we gained from tunning but at a 70 roll its all hp and turbo and hopes and dreams.
Those VQs make peak power at redline, so 50+ rolls I can see why the Maxima got you. The Maxima isn't exactly a car to scoff at either (at least from the FoST).

Dunno much about Minis

·
Registered
195 Posts
Minis are sub 2700lb cars. Lower if gutted like the one the OP raced. They also have excellent torque low-end. I don't think the engine has as good mod potential as the 2.0 fst, but they are fast stock & gutted.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Would the maxima weigh in less than the 350z? Just spit ballin here but I've walked a couple 350z's. I do, however, have a Freek etune and meth injection, which netted me some extra timing in the upper rpms (18-19* max timing)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Maximas surprising are slightly lighter than 350z's. Which is testament to why there were critics of the 350z platform.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would the maxima weigh in less than the 350z? Just spit ballin here but I've walked a couple 350z's. I do, however, have a Freek etune and meth injection, which netted me some extra timing in the upper rpms (18-19* max timing)
It actually does weight less. but only by a small portion. I looked it up and was suprised it does.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those VQs make peak power at redline, so 50+ rolls I can see why the Maxima got you. The Maxima isn't exactly a car to scoff at either (at least from the FoST).

Dunno much about Minis
Yeah we rarely race from a dig where I can pull on him. Before 4k rpms his car is slow but when it goes up to 7k, hes really fast, making all of his power. from the roll race, i shift and he gets the jump. Makes me want to no lift shift haha

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah we rarely race from a dig where I can pull on him. Before 4k rpms his car is slow but when it goes up to 7k, hes really fast, making all of his power. from the roll race, i shift and he gets the jump. Makes me want to no lift shift haha
I never lift when I shift, well maybe a hair. Just hammer it home. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Im really concerned about lspi, i always floor it above 2500. I drive the car like a 5 speed too. Because of the lspi concern haha. I only use 6th with cruise controll and try and stay out of boost
Boost tapers off to something like 12 psi at redline in our cars. Power really drops off after 5,500 rpm. Tunes can change that a bit, but generally there is no point in wringing it out. Also, what is your OAR?

·
Registered
110 Posts

Sold my VQ 6 speed Maxima last month. 40 roll is a good speed because it puts you right in the power range of 2nd gear. This car stock should pull steadily on a 5.5 gen Maxima. Tuned, a FoST should pull buses. If the Maxima was boosted or spraying, then I could see a race.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts