Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what this could be. It happened 3rd time already, and at the same spot. I was cruising down the street, its a small hill, stop sign to stop sign, each block.
As I was going down hill from the first stop sign, my car was only in second gear, but then I would go to neutral and the engine would start screaming up to 5000 rpms and then it would go down.
That happened 2 days ago and today. First I thought it was me holding the gas pedal, but then I started to pay more attention to it and it wasn't.
It's like the engine just started to spin on its own in neutral.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've had my car jump up like 200 rpm when taking my car out of gear and going into neutral but nothing like that. Wish I could help more but if your not heel toeing by accident then I'm not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had my car jump up like 200 rpm when taking my car out of gear and going into neutral but nothing like that. Wish I could help more but if your not heel toeing by accident then I'm not sure
I think you nailed it, thats exactly what happened. It just jumped into high rpm when going into neutral

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think you nailed it, thats exactly what happened. It just jumped into high rpm when going into neutral
Yep lol our cars have the closest pedals of all manual cars I've driven. Ive done it a few times by accident because well size 12 shoes haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking maybe it could be something like when you shift in to 2nd gear and slowly release the clutch pedal the car moves quick at that moment, even without pushing the gas pedal, maybe at that moment it has high rpms and when I went to neutral thats when it jumped up? not sure, I can be wrong

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've noticed that mine will rev a little bit when I push the clutch pedal in....much more noticeable now that I have the FRPP cat back. Not sure if it's some sort of programming thing, to give you a firmer shirt, when it thinks you are getting on it or maybe it somehow related to the rev hang??

·
Registered
21 Posts
I noticed that my car rev's up a little when pressing the clutch in.
It also increase/decrease around around 1500 and 1700 rpm when I first start it up in the cold..... Goes away when you drive it.
It also jumps a little when I downshift before I even hit the gas pedal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it happened again a few times. Going to 3rd from 2nd gear and as soonest I hit the clutch down the rpms just jump up instead of staying where they are or going down. Not even touching gas pedal. Could this be something wrong with the ECU?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just found this:

My Impreza does that. I've found a few explanations on the glorious internet for it.
The ecu keeps the throttle open while cutting down fuel flow to burn off what's left in the line immediately after you let off the gas pedal. This is to improve the emissions rating since less unburned fuel gets into the exhaust.
The increase in rpms helps to smooth downshifts at low speeds like in a parking lot.
Shifting technique. The electronic throttle has a different sensitivity than a cable actuated one. I was in denial that it was my technique but after careful examination I discovered I was lingering on the gas pedal for a split second longer than I needed to. The rpm only increase by about 100 to 200 rpms on its own. Before I figured it out, it would raise by nearly 1000.
Apparently a lot of people complained about this 'feature' so they issued a reprogram of the ecu to 'fix' it.
It is not noticeable with an automatic trans.
TLDR: not anything wrong with the car, but it can be made to stop doing that if you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts