Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Since a couple of days I've been experiencing a high pitched squeak when I change gears.
It only happens from time to time but mostly when I'm in first gear and standing still on a hill.
The noise kind of sounds like a chair being dragged over a tile floor or the noise chewbacca would make.
I just returned from the garage and we did some tests on a hill, tried to disable the hill assist for example, but it is still happening no matter what.
To make matters worse is the fact that neither the technician nor the service desk guy have ever heard this sound so I'm feeling kind of desperate at this point.
They told me it would cost me a $1000 dollars to get the clutch opened up and looked at and that they wouldn't really be able to tell if the problem originates there if they did so.
They advised me to just keep driving with the clutch and the noise until its time to replace it.

I made a short recording of me stop and start driving on a hill, and you can hear the squeak.
It was very hard to record this so it's not the best quality, but you can clearly hear chewbacca squeak:
http://killtimedreams.com/files/2016fordfocusST_squeak.mp3

Has anyone else ever encounter this or have an idea as to what this could be?
I very much appreciate it.

Kind regards,
J

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Sounds like the brakes maybe, hard to tell. Put the E-Brake on then let out on the clutch like you would on a hill and see if it makes the noise. If it makes noise then it's probably the clutch. If it doesn't make noise it may be the brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thank you guys for all the replies.
I did some tests and it is deff not the breaks, it happens too when I drive more sporty on higher gears.
The car is a 2016 focust st2 with 46K miles on it now. I live in San Francisco which is very hilly and the guys at the Ford service told me I should expect a lower life expectancy because of that.
The rattleling is something else that is only hearable in the recording. It's the Chewbacca kind of noise that's the problem, you can hear it about 3 times at seperate times in the recording with the first one most audible. I can maybe try do another more clear recording.
I've currently reading up on clutch replacement times and maybe time has come for mine :/ I'm not sure.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

·
Registered
486 Posts
Your car has a powertrain warranty up to 60K miles (or 5 years). Not sure how they'd charging you to just look into the issue. I'd find another Ford dealer to take it to.

Sure, clutch warranty is much shorter, but they simply cant assume it's the clutch without a proper diag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Everyone,

Just to close this thread down.
Eventually my clutch started slipping and I had to bring it in as I was barely able to drive uphill anymore.
They replaced the clutch and now it drives like new again, without noise :)

Kind regards,
Jeroen

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Just to close this thread down.
Eventually my clutch started slipping and I had to bring it in as I was barely able to drive uphill anymore.
They replaced the clutch and now it drives like new again, without noise :)

Kind regards,
Jeroen
Did the 5yr/60K warranty cover it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Chris L.
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing