Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

It looks like I may be relocating to Denver for work and will be looking to re-tune the ST. I'm trying to see if it is worth me staying with my current 93 tune or re-tuning for 91 seeing I am moving into some serious altitude compared to living in STL. I can get 93 all day long here at pretty much any gas station, but it does not seem like I can get it anywhere consistently in the Denver metro area. I have a E85 map I can use but get sick of blending fuel or stopping at multiple stations to fill up. Any suggestions fellas?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey fellas,

It looks like I may be relocating to Denver for work and will be looking to re-tune the ST. I'm trying to see if it is worth me staying with my current 93 tune or re-tuning for 91 seeing I am moving into some serious altitude compared to living in STL. I can get 93 all day long here at pretty much any gas station, but it does not seem like I can get it anywhere consistently in the Denver metro area. I have a E85 map I can use but get sick of blending fuel or stopping at multiple stations to fill up. Any suggestions fellas?
You should be fine with the 93 map. The altitude will negate the lower octane and the ECU should compensate whatever difference there is. The real problem exists when you get ruined up here and they don't leave room for when you go back down to 600'. If you want to add a little more insurance, just take a degree or two of timing out.

I ran a stage 2 93oct map up here for years on my GTI with no issues, plugs looked good, etc. But for peace of mind, call your tuner and ask. Or better yet, call someone up here who actually thinks about altitude. They will likely tell you the same.

Harvey, The Boost Creep, is a knowledgeable tuner and could break down the science for you.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be fine with the 93 map. The altitude will negate the lower octane and the ECU should compensate whatever difference there is. The real problem exists when you get ruined up here and they don't leave room for when you go back down to 600'. If you want to add a little more insurance, just take a degree or two of timing out.

I ran a stage 2 93oct map up here for years on my GTI with no issues, plugs looked good, etc. But for peace of mind, call your tuner and ask. Or better yet, call someone up here who actually thinks about altitude. They will likely tell you the same.

Harvey, The Boost Creep, is a knowledgeable tuner and could break down the science for you.

Thanks for the insight, I have Stratified working with me on high altitude tunes for 91-93 octane fuels. I'm just trying to feel out the area and see what the pumps offer all over the Denver metro, last time I was out there I never remember seeing 93+ anywhere. I'm hoping this is an abundance of E85 out there compared to where I am at now.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for the insight, I have Stratified working with me on high altitude tunes for 91-93 octane fuels. I'm just trying to feel out the area and see what the pumps offer all over the Denver metro, last time I was out there I never remember seeing 93+ anywhere. I'm hoping this is an abundance of E85 out there compared to where I am at now.
Plenty of e85 here, just be sure to get a tester. They change it up in winter and you can see e70 at the pump. I think a lot of the high octane stuff has gone bye bye other than at tracks/strips. There is also some place out off i70 in Denver, in the warehouse area, I believe.

But for the most part, everyone here is on the e85 tip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts