Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I seen my intake temp hit anywhere from 100-112 in traffic. I have a CFM intake tube and a open end green filter with the intake lid off. Is there a way to keep the temps down during city driving? It drops 15-20 degrees is I'm on the highway. Maybe hood vents would help?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lately I seen my intake temp hit anywhere from 100-112 in traffic. I have a CFM intake tube and a open end green filter with the intake lid off. Is there a way to keep the temps down during city driving? It drops 15-20 degrees is I'm on the highway. Maybe hood vents would help?

Not trying to be a PITA... but why are we worried about charge temps when we're stuck in traffic? :p

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
Not trying to be a PITA... but why are we worried about charge temps when we're stuck in traffic? :p
The OP didn't say charge temps but intake temps. Those are two different readings. With the lid off the OP will see much higher temps at the intake.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The OP didn't say charge temps but intake temps. Those are two different readings. With the lid off the OP will see much higher temps at the intake.

Sent from another garage.
I kinda lied... I was trying to be a PITA...

I see what you're saying though - but even still... why worry about it in traffic?

Edit: And also, for the OP, yes - Hood Vents would likely help a bit (and probably look pretty good, too).

·
Administrator
13,230 Posts
Should I worry about high temps, wouldn't that damage the filter?

Nope, but people can argue over that higher IAT leads to Less HP and more work for the FMIC, but it's debatable based on aftermarket selection and other factors.

If you want to lower them, you can run a thermal wrap on the intake box, close up the intake box, and run a snorkle. Then it would be pulling air out the grill, and negating the under hood temps from heat soaking the airbox.

·
Registered
387 Posts
FWIW I wouldn't hacksaw vents onto my hood just for idle intake temps. Putting the lid back on would get you close while still retaining a bit of intake noise from the open ended filter.

·
Administrator
13,230 Posts
Gentleman I thank you for the wealth of knowledge. I'll put the lid back on, and probably upgrade my fmic

Well if you are on the OEM fmic, then yes, you really should. Replacing the OEM FMIC with a larger aftermarket one is pretty much the first mod any ST owner should do. People will argue this, but, from my ST experiences, it should be one of the first mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.